GrayFace MM8 Patch v2.5.7 [Mar 4, 2022]

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
DaveHer
Threeheaded Knight
Threeheaded Knight

Re: GrayFace MM8 Patch v2.4.1 [Sep 20, 2019]

Unread postby DaveHer » 02 Feb 2020, 12:21

SpectralDragon wrote:
GrayFace wrote:
SpectralDragon wrote:Hello again, long time no hear from ya. Just out of curiosity, how is the next version of this absolutely great mod of yours fare? :)
I've been playing and doing stuff for Knytt Stories these past months. Didn't work on patches.

No worries, I kind of gotten out of MM stuff as well, thus I completely understand. Still super glad you´re around. :hug:

Speaking of stuff, I kind of tried to work with MMExtension in order to bring Undead Dragons into the main MM8 as they are in MMMerge (only difference being that they˙re basically Dragons with Lich stats overall ... and changed projectile weapon in Ghost Dragon´s case), voice and all, but I˙m absolutely stumped on that. If you know anything about this sort of thing, can you give me some pointers, like where to start?
Study the following files: Monsters.txt, monlist.txt. These files are in EnglishT.Lod. Also SFT.txt in the tables folder. Voices are found in EnglishD.Lod. Any changes done to these files will affect all ghost dragons. I hope this helps. Grayface may have additional info. :)
David
Last edited by DaveHer on 02 Feb 2020, 12:23, edited 1 time in total.

GrayFace
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby GrayFace » 05 Feb 2020, 13:10

SpectralDragon wrote:Speaking of stuff, I kind of tried to work with MMExtension in order to bring Undead Dragons into the main MM8 as they are in MMMerge (only difference being that they˙re basically Dragons with Lich stats overall ... and changed projectile weapon in Ghost Dragon´s case), voice and all, but I˙m absolutely stumped on that. If you know anything about this sort of thing, can you give me some pointers, like where to start?
You'll need to carry over Scripts\Structs\After\RemoveClassLimits.lua from MMMerge. Parts of other scripts may be needed as well.
DaveHer wrote:Study the following files: Monsters.txt, monlist.txt.
Not monsters, characters.
My patches: MM6 MM7 MM8. MMExtension. Tools. Also, I love Knytt Stories and Knytt Underground. I'm also known as sergroj.

Figo
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Figo » 05 Feb 2020, 21:04

GrayFace wrote:
Figo wrote:Minimap with wizard eye: Barbarian Fortress, -1 level: there is the blue (magic) niche without anything hidden in it (maybe I've never found a clue?). niche
Image not available anymore.
Sadly I don't have those screenshots anymore. But I've found it in this video YT video around 3:54.

Notogora
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Notogora » 07 Feb 2020, 00:27

Really nice to see there are still people active with patching MM8.

I'am having problems with consuming potions with this patch installed.
As soon as I try to drink any potion the game crashes instantly.

The game does not crash without the patch.
If no one else is having this issue maybe it is something
I have done to make the patch affect the game in this way?

Any help greatly appreciated :).

GrayFace
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby GrayFace » 09 Feb 2020, 13:42

Notogora wrote:As soon as I try to drink any potion the game crashes instantly.
Please attach the ErrorLog.txt from game folder. Also, savegame to be sure.
Last edited by GrayFace on 09 Feb 2020, 13:56, edited 2 times in total.
My patches: MM6 MM7 MM8. MMExtension. Tools. Also, I love Knytt Stories and Knytt Underground. I'm also known as sergroj.

Notogora
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Notogora » 09 Feb 2020, 17:58

Errorlog.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1mm5kj ... p_Q0hAfVtP
The third exception and onward seem to be the problem.

One of the save games. I tried out the bug in many save games and started a new game and the crash is 100% consistent for me.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1GzPBx ... njWHeUPTwl

Sorry for not being able to attach directly to the post. I could not find out
how to do it.
Last edited by Notogora on 09 Feb 2020, 18:06, edited 2 times in total.

GrayFace
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby GrayFace » 11 Feb 2020, 02:22

Does it happen if you disable UILayout? Set it to anything other than "UI" in mm8.ini to disable.
Notogora wrote:Sorry for not being able to attach directly to the post. I could not find out how to do it.
There's no way in the forum, I meant the way you did it.

Notogora
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Notogora » 11 Feb 2020, 11:33

After disabling UILayout it no longer crash at all anymore. :D

Although I would really like to use your patch UI layout.

Thanks a lot for the help. :tsup:
Last edited by Notogora on 12 Feb 2020, 15:16, edited 1 time in total.

SpectralDragon
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby SpectralDragon » 13 Feb 2020, 07:10

GrayFace wrote:
SpectralDragon wrote:Speaking of stuff, I kind of tried to work with MMExtension in order to bring Undead Dragons into the main MM8 as they are in MMMerge (only difference being that they˙re basically Dragons with Lich stats overall ... and changed projectile weapon in Ghost Dragon´s case), voice and all, but I˙m absolutely stumped on that. If you know anything about this sort of thing, can you give me some pointers, like where to start?
You'll need to carry over Scripts\Structs\After\RemoveClassLimits.lua from MMMerge. Parts of other scripts may be needed as well.
DaveHer wrote:Study the following files: Monsters.txt, monlist.txt. These files are in EnglishT.Lod. Also SFT.txt in the tables folder. Voices are found in EnglishD.Lod. Any changes done to these files will affect all ghost dragons. I hope this helps. Grayface may have additional info. :).
Not monsters, characters.
Got it, thanks. Boy, now I have even more respect for all mod makers being able to do stuff like this. All respects. :tsup:

No worries, since there are still Ghost Dragon monsters and all, ha ha ha ha ha! :D :D Even though I bet swapping Bone Dragons for those would be easier as long as those scripts you mentioned are in aside RemoveClassLimits.
Yes?

benhill309
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby benhill309 » 17 Feb 2020, 18:16

My game keeps crashing everytime I try to enter Plane of Earth. Don't know what to do.
Here's the error log: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1FmH ... sp=sharing
Save file: https://drive.google.com/file/d/187CoXT ... sp=sharing
Any help would be greatly appreciated :-D

tomchen1989
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby tomchen1989 » 18 Feb 2020, 21:59

I wrote these files to make MM8 w/ GrayFace Patch support double-byte character set. My DBCS script works well for MM8 (and MMMerge), but not very well for MM7 and 6.

0x449C3B is the point AFTER which every text character is processed in MM8. I guess it's 0x44C50A and 0x443053 for MM7 and 6, but similar script is unable to work in 7 and 6. MM7 has line-breaking issues and 6 doesn't work at all.

I was only able to find 0x449C3B in MM8, I didn't get a point BEFORE which every character is processed. This makes my current solution a bit hacky - for example character 饯 and 渐's gb2312 double byte code in hex are 'BD A4' and 'BD A5', I had to convert
BD A4 BD A5
to
[SO] [SP] [SO] BD A4 [BEL] [SP] [SO] BD A5 [BEL] [SI]
The main reason for doing that is my lua script has to know where double byte character ends, so that it can switch out of 'DBCS mode'.
I also had to insert a [SP] (space) before every double byte character to make automatic line-break correct (Chinese text has no space and you can start a new line anywhere).

=================

Python script to generate .fnt files (MM678/H3's font file):
https://github.com/might-and-magic/fnt-generator

=================
Other issue reported by players from China community:

Bow, blaster? and other weapons' recovery time is limited to 30 by the patch, I think blaster has an option in the .ini file, but no one knows how to remove the cap for the Bow.
Last edited by tomchen1989 on 18 Feb 2020, 22:19, edited 4 times in total.

eilacomeva
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby eilacomeva » 18 Feb 2020, 23:47

benhill309 wrote:My game keeps crashing everytime I try to enter Plane of Earth. Don't know what to do.
It works for me :D

The screenshot when loading looked weird, report what you have installed on top of vanilla mm8 or people won't be able to reproduce your crash.

benhill309
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby benhill309 » 19 Feb 2020, 02:52

eilacomeva wrote:
benhill309 wrote:My game keeps crashing everytime I try to enter Plane of Earth. Don't know what to do.
It works for me :D

The screenshot when loading looked weird, report what you have installed on top of vanilla mm8 or people won't be able to reproduce your crash.
Of course, I'm an idiot. :wall: I have this as well as patch 2.4.1:
http://mmgames.ru/index.php?option=com_ ... 65&lang=en

Do i have to simply reinstall mm8 and re-patch it without that mod?

Anubis
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Anubis » 19 Feb 2020, 03:10

I've heard that sometimes the game can crash due to too many monsters (sprites) in a given area. That Monstrosity Mod could be the culprit, but don't quote me on that.

[Edit] Just took a quick look at Echo's Monstrosity Mod thread and it seems someone else is having the same issues in the Plane of Earth. No fix/workaround as of yet, it seems.

https://www.celestialheavens.com/forum/ ... 9?start=60
Last edited by Anubis on 19 Feb 2020, 03:16, edited 2 times in total.

eilacomeva
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby eilacomeva » 23 Feb 2020, 20:12

It happens to everyone :D
btw, would you recommend trying the monstruosity?

GrayFace
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby GrayFace » 02 Mar 2020, 20:15

Try installing MMExtension (it'll be necessary just the first time you enter the place) and using this save(backup yours first): https://www.dropbox.com/s/fnb580cpjt9ul ... 8.dod?dl=1
Last edited by GrayFace on 02 Mar 2020, 20:19, edited 3 times in total.

GrayFace
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby GrayFace » 02 Mar 2020, 20:25

tomchen1989 wrote:I wrote these files to make MM8 w/ GrayFace Patch support double-byte character set. My DBCS script works well for MM8 (and MMMerge), but not very well for MM7 and 6.
That's super interesting. I'll take a look later. I wonder why you chose to use 2-byte encoding and not UFT8? It always seemed better suited for the job to me.
tomchen1989 wrote:Bow, blaster? and other weapons' recovery time is limited to 30 by the patch, I think blaster has an option in the .ini file, but no one knows how to remove the cap for the Bow.
30 is game's limit for melee weapons only. No limit for bow/blaster.
Last edited by GrayFace on 02 Mar 2020, 20:26, edited 1 time in total.

tomchen1989
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby tomchen1989 » 03 Mar 2020, 21:17

GrayFace wrote:
tomchen1989 wrote:I wrote these files to make MM8 w/ GrayFace Patch support double-byte character set. My DBCS script works well for MM8 (and MMMerge), but not very well for MM7 and 6.
That's super interesting. I'll take a look later. I wonder why you chose to use 2-byte encoding and not UFT8? It always seemed better suited for the job to me.
tomchen1989 wrote:Bow, blaster? and other weapons' recovery time is limited to 30 by the patch, I think blaster has an option in the .ini file, but no one knows how to remove the cap for the Bow.
30 is game's limit for melee weapons only. No limit for bow/blaster.
My DBCS script in the GitHub repo has moved to this directory:
https://github.com/might-and-magic/mm67 ... T_DBCS.lua

====

Official Simplified Chinese and Traditional Chinese versions use their respective traditional two-byte encodings (namely GB2312 and Big-5). Although I didn't check, the same can be safely assumed for Korean and Japanese versions. And I'm still using FNT format bitmap fonts, which contain only the glyphs in my targeted encoding, I don't quite like to load large fonts containing too many glyphs and certainly not (relatively) super large Unicode fonts. Unicode BITMAP fonts are rare but I need several with different styles and sizes, which I can't find. Yeah it's technically possible we render ttf font file as bitmaps at runtime, but, well, it's more complicated and less efficient. UTF-8 handling is also more complicated than DBCS and has longer bytes. I don't see UTF-8 is needed here.

====

For the bow and blaster recovery time issue, that's actually an issue of Rodril's merge, which I fixed here

Kinox
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Kinox » 04 Mar 2020, 05:32

(no more needed post)

Check my newer, next post. :down:
Last edited by Kinox on 11 Mar 2020, 03:44, edited 3 times in total.

Kinox
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Kinox » 11 Mar 2020, 03:43

Greetings.

So, I've mashed 3 posts into 1, reporting bugs or issues found playing MM8 with patch 2.4.1.
Hope this being useful. Thanks and Good Luck!

Troll wrong speech?

'Tis perhaps a bug? Or maybe just an original misplaced dialogue:

When completing the Troll Promotion Quest, in Ironsand Desert, by talking to Troll NPC/Hireling Volog Sandwind in northern house (after having visited the ancient troll lost home), and choosing to 'Join', he brings up an uncontextualized speech about the returning of the Axe of Balthazar...

Necromancers' Guild Leader room closed/locked earlier than expected?!

I stumbled again on a weird behavior of the game. Maybe it's 'normal'? Though never happened to me before.

I was about to deliver the Nightshade Brazier quest item to Sandro (guild leader) in Necromancers' Guild, while none of the Alliance quests concerning opposite sides were completed yet (only the one from Balthazar's Lair), however my party was unable to meet Sandro in his room. I usually understood that either of the leader rooms (Necromancer's Guild, Temple of the Sun) would only close after completion of the quest favoring its opposite side.

Then I remember what I have done to reach such embarassing situation: before 'cleaning up' the Temple of the Sun in Murmurwoods in order to take the brazier, I have completed the quest for the Eclipse artifact shield; and for this, I had to take first Deyson Leyland deep inside the Necromancers' Guild (I went down until the Skeleton Transformer location, but without making this quest, of course) in order to [get more XP and to] activate some kind of 'more advanced hostile AI' in the dungeon so to be able to open the doors from the side corridors where the articact is secured; just attacking necromancers or vampires don't do the trick, even with Deyson Leyland in the party). I've thought it would be ok just to return later and talk to Sandro, as it is common in MM8 that you can still speak to most leaders despite being hostile to their dungeon and areas. In this adventure, though, I had no choice but to ally with the "cursed Temple of the Sun".
Now, I wonder... Did that happen because the FIRST of the 2 opposite dungeons I've set to 'advanced hostile AI' was the Necromancers' Guild and not the Temple of the Sun (for the latter, I guess taking the Nightshade Brazier seems to be the AI activator)? Would the room leader in the Temple of the Sun close, on an hypothetical inverse situation? Or, what happened to me would have just happened anyway (indifferent of the order of the 'invasion'), because it's only particular to the Necromancers' Guild to close its leader room after the party's invasion?

Edit: I've found out the Necromancers' Guild trigger for locking the Leader's room: it's when the party crosses a 'halt!' message which happens right in the begining of a corridor in the lower floor, after taking the central elevator (the elevator beyond that main door which require Deyson Leyland to open). So, it has nothing to do with the Eclipse Quest or attacking the necromancers spontaneously; the trigger is that specific 'halt!'-crossing.

Arcomage money

The text telling how much money the player receives on winning Arcomage games in the Inns of Jadame not showing; if I'm not wrong, it used to show in the horizontal info bar right above the 5 character portraits.

Pure Accuracy

The quest for the black potion of Pure Accuracy in one of the houses of the small ogre village southeast of Ravage Roaming, is not given to the player; not only the quest isn't inscribed in the Quest notes, on delivering the ingredients there is no Experience gained.

Balthazar's Lair, freeing the Herd quest, Thanys

This one seems quite complicated and returns in multiple weird game behaviors.
If this Dungeon Map is cleared before the 'Form an Alliance' episode, even though Thanys will be able to join the party (provide talking to Masul first), and Masul will thank you in his throne room for saving the Herd from the flood, there is no completion of the Quest ['save the Herd'] in the Quest notes, and no Experience gained altogether; simultaneously, Thanys's quest option in his NPC dialogue in his room will disappear as soon as the player talked to Masul.

Also, and controversely, If one takes the Quest from Thanys, cleans up the dungeon and may even use the 'Last' lever which empties the lair (showing the video animation), but do not enter in Masul's throne room, and return to talk to Thanys, his Quest chat option will make him give you the same quest again! Like resetting the Quest (that is: 1) presenting again the original quest speech dialogue; 2) making the magic ping sound and making the magic animation on the character portrait who takes the quest). So actually nothing happens. :| (But, what I think is happening, is that at this point, there ARE elements set to deliver the Quest to Thanys, but instead of its completion, the Quest is being reset that way for some reason). Maybe this was just not meant to be completed before reaching the Alliance episode, and so in this case the 'Free the Herd' and the 'Form an Alliance with the Minotaurs' are both just one quest after all?

Edgar Fellmoon

I think this issue was known... No money is delivered by the NPC on finishing one of his quests (that is, the Smuggler's quest); but in the dialogue he tells he gives the player money.

Minotaur Lord Promotion

I guess this one is known too. Once the quest is taken, the quest option in the NPC dialogue vanishes; and it will only reappear after something is done about the Axe of Balthazar; which usually makes players confused.

PS: Also, this vanishing quest option issue seems to be a recurrent thing it MM8. Another example I've just remembered now is the Lizardmen's quest of delivering 6 scrolls of Cure Disease to the distant huts. The quest giver's in his hut (near the magic shop of Dagger Wound Island) has his quest chat option vanished after the player picks the quest and until he or she delivers all the 6 scrolls.

Edit: Another occurence I've remember was the dire wolves quest NPC in Ravenshore.

Misterious 10,000+ Experience Points on Promotion Quests delivering [only]

I'll give an hypothetical example to understand what's going on, using the Promotion Quest for the Priest of the Sun, in Murmurwoods:
Let's say you bring the quest item Prophecies of the Sun with your main character, a Knight, who has as followers: 2 Clerics [not promoted yet] (e.g., Fredrick Talimere, Maylander) and 1 Priest of the Sun [already promoted] (e.g., Verish). What's going to happen is that each of the characters will receive at that moment X amount of Experience Points, but the 2 Clerics that are actually the Class that is being Promoted (in this unique event of quest delivering), will receive an extra 10,000 Experience Points. If later on you bring another Cleric to promote to Priest of the Sun (for example, Deyson Leyland [not promoted yet]), this character will not benefit from that extra Experience bonus, although will be promoted to Priest of the Sun. I don't really know where do the extra 10,000 Experience Points come from nor if it has to make sense, but isn't there something strange to this behavior? Shouldn't the promoted Classes (whenever the Promotion happens), get those 10,000+ extra? Or maybe such extra points shouldn't exist at all?
This same system seems to apply to all other Class Promotions in MM8.
Last edited by Kinox on 20 Mar 2020, 19:10, edited 15 times in total.

Return to “Might and Magic”