Help me create my next M&M VII playthrough

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).

Light or Dark path?

Light
27%
Dark
73%

Total votes: 15

Deadguy118
Assassin
Assassin

Help me create my next M&M VII playthrough

Unread postby Deadguy118 » 10 Jul 2009, 00:38

Hey guys. I figured I wanted to play Might and Magic VII again, but I really don't want to play the game with the standard KTCS party again. So that's where you come in. Tell me what kind of party I should make for my next playthrough, as well as if I should do the dark or the light path and I will most likely do it.

Some guidelines:
1. I'm not as crazy as some of you, so I still would like a character that is capable of casting Elemental Spells at Master Level. Self Spells would be nice, but I want a challenge.
2. On the same note, let's try for variety. No repeats of any class type.
3. As for race, I still haven't decided if I want to choose bad race/class combinations or not. Just focus on class for now.

Otherwise, you are all free to go all out with your choices. I will probably wait about a week before starting the game.
Back from the dead? Maybe.

asterix15
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby asterix15 » 10 Jul 2009, 05:48

Dark Path

Archer, Cleric, Druid, Paladin and Sorcerer party combinations

If you choose one of the following combinations:
+ you have variety.
+ you have atleast 2 characters capable of casting Elemental Spells at Master Level.

1. ACDP

2. ACDS

3. ACPS

4. ACDS

5. ADPS

6. CDPS

There are even more combinations possible.

My last party was PAAA

Avonu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Re: Help me create my next M&M VII playthrough

Unread postby Avonu » 10 Jul 2009, 08:11

Deadguy118 wrote:Hey guys. I figured I wanted to play Might and Magic VII again, but I really don't want to play the game with the standard KTCS party again.
Try Archer, Druid and Lich. As fourth member I will suggest Knight or Monk or even Ranger. No GM Protection from Magic so it will be diffrent then standart Tolberti/Wise, Titan Stronghold Cleric runs.
Deadguy118 wrote:1. I'm not as crazy as some of you, so I still would like a character that is capable of casting Elemental Spells at Master Level. Self Spells would be nice, but I want a challenge.
Completing Warlock promotion will be challange.
Deadguy118 wrote:3. As for race, I still haven't decided if I want to choose bad race/class combinations or not. Just focus on class for now.
Goblin as a mage (and lich later). :D

One advice - loot all 13 artifacts/relics from drgons/titans bodies and then go to Clanker Lab and Colony Zod for last 2 artifacts (so you can have total 15 of them - if you want collect them ofc - need lots of free time to loot not repeating artifacts).

Variol
Wraith
Wraith

Unread postby Variol » 10 Jul 2009, 09:34

I just put my MM7 disc in to try a solo game. I was going to suggest that you do the Dark Path and I do the Light, but I just remembered that I'm using the mod, which doesn't give a choice.

When I play a party, I always take the same 4 races, for a little extra challenge.

asterix15
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby asterix15 » 10 Jul 2009, 12:21

My next party will be MPRS (MONK, PALADIN, RANGER, SORCERER)

Bandobras Took
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Bandobras Took » 10 Jul 2009, 13:12

Ranger/Druid/Thief/Monk Light Side

You'll have master-level spell support, at least. :)
Far too many people speak their minds without first verifying the quality of their source material.

Deadguy118
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Deadguy118 » 11 Jul 2009, 17:56

These are all good ideas! I think I will have a Ranger in my party since Rangers are the worst class in the game (Do we need a Jack of All trades in a game where you have 4 party members?).

Otherwise I was also considering a Druid since they kind of suck too, but I am still undecided on everything else.

Deadguy118
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Deadguy118 » 16 Jul 2009, 18:01

Alright then. No more suggestions? Very well. Thanks to the power of Democracy, I am going to do the dark path with my Ranger, Thief, Archer, Druid team. Yeah, it's a little conservative, but I don't have access to GM spells and can only learn basic Dark Magic. Thanks for the input!

Invictus
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Invictus » 01 Aug 2009, 19:48

Archer/Druid/Cleric/Sorcerer <------ the best choice

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 01 Aug 2009, 21:53

I see no use of Archers and Druids here if you have a Sorcerer (and you want to have one ;) ). Archers can use arcane spells, but they will be useless because your Sorcerer will have better versions of them. Same with Druids, although a little better - they can use both divine and arcane spells, so will be the healer of the healer. Yet again, knowing arcane spells is useless.
Paladins and Monks are a very good choice - they are both good melee fighters and know divine spells. So I'd say the easiest party is MTCS. As in all D&D games, you have to have a Cleric (or your party is dead), a Robber/Thief (or your party is out of gold - although Archers can be a mediocre replacement for that) and Sorcerer (or you won't get past certain monsters).
Of course, if you want a challenge, RTAD is good. Druid will be the all around guy, Thief is a Robber ( :D ), Ranger is the healer of your Druid, Archer is, well, a guy with a good bow. Ranger's and Archer's arcane knowledge is a waste, though, but you get your challenge here :) And with an exception of your Thief, the party is a very realistic party of treehuggers :D

Avonu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Avonu » 03 Aug 2009, 08:59

GreatEmerald wrote:I see no use of Archers and Druids here if you have a Sorcerer (and you want to have one ;) ). Archers can use arcane spells, but they will be useless because your Sorcerer will have better versions of them. Same with Druids, although a little better - they can use both divine and arcane spells, so will be the healer of the healer. Yet again, knowing arcane spells is useless.
First of all - there are elemenal and self magic schools in MM6-8 (and mirrored path for light and darkness) - no some divine or arcane schools. :P
Second - 3 x Meteor Shower is better then 1x maxed Meteor Shower. Same with 3 x Acid Burst, Town Portal (if wizard will be out of mana).
GreatEmerald wrote:Paladins and Monks are a very good choice - they are both good melee fighters and know divine spells.
Nope - Monk can only learn expert (good path) or basic (evil path) self magic spells. And he is not so good fighter anyway.
Knight is also better choise then paladin (because AM grandmastery) and druid with master dagger skill can does good amount of damage. He is IMO better choise then Paladin (because elemental spells)
GreatEmerald wrote:So I'd say the easiest party is MTCS. As in all D&D games, you have to have a Cleric (or your party is dead), a Robber/Thief (or your party is out of gold - although Archers can be a mediocre replacement for that) and Sorcerer (or you won't get past certain monsters).
Good it is not D&D. :P BTW - it is warrior, archer, mage trio of archetype team, cleric and thief came later.
First you don't need Thief in MM7 - even knight with good disarm trap item can do that job. And if he failed, you can always cast regeneration or heal (which can be done by druid, paladin, ranger or master monk).

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 03 Aug 2009, 21:06

Avonu wrote:First of all - there are elemenal and self magic schools in MM6-8 (and mirrored path for light and darkness) - no some divine or arcane schools. :P
Second - 3 x Meteor Shower is better then 1x maxed Meteor Shower. Same with 3 x Acid Burst, Town Portal (if wizard will be out of mana).
I'm using the generic terms, it doesn't really matter much how you call them :P
3x Acid Burst/Meteor Shower will not help you against Medusas and such. And if your main mage runs out of SP, just give him some blue potions, while that won't work too much if you have more mages.
Nope - Monk can only learn expert (good path) or basic (evil path) self magic spells. And he is not so good fighter anyway.
Knight is also better choise then paladin (because AM grandmastery) and druid with master dagger skill can does good amount of damage. He is IMO better choise then Paladin (because elemental spells)
You don't need light/dark magic for your healer-of-the-healer. Most vital healing spells are in simple body magic. And monks are awesome with Hammerhands, at least early in the game. Not sure about Knight vs Paladin, didn't use Paladins much there.
Good it is not D&D. :P BTW - it is warrior, archer, mage trio of archetype team, cleric and thief came later.
First you don't need Thief in MM7 - even knight with good disarm trap item can do that job. And if he failed, you can always cast regeneration or heal (which can be done by druid, paladin, ranger or master monk).
It is a D&D based game after all :P Don't forget the MM1 roots. And yes, the LOTR-style group that we see in the Emerald Isle beginning video of MM7 is standard in some games, but not so much in MM7 and even less so in earlier games. In, for example, MM2, you simply can not live without a cleric, sorcerer and robber, but, of course, you get a party of 8.

And healing isn't that easy... I always go to the Manor if the Barrow Downs early in the game (opponents are fairly easy), and those chests and drawers always annihilate my party. When I was without a thief, though, I totally couldn't open like 4 objects there, while when I was with one, I opened all of them (despite having to load several times as the object killed someone and resting 2 times to get SP back).

Deadguy118
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Deadguy118 » 07 Aug 2009, 03:07

Well, I finished the game, and it was a lot easier than I expected. My Ranger was junk, but everyone else was capable of doing stuff well. The lack of GM or Dark magic was also a pain since I couldn't just point-blank shrapmetal everyone, and Robert the Wise had to be dealt with through pickpocketing. As usual however, the last part was stupid easy thanks to Blasters+Haste, even if it was harder than usual.

I would post my victory image, but I'm not quite sure how

Return to “Might and Magic”