Back to M&M after 8+ years. Where to start? Mod info? Pa

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
Risiko
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Back to M&M after 8+ years. Where to start? Mod info? Pa

Unread postby Risiko » 17 Jun 2009, 14:59

For some reason the other day I really wanted to play MM7. I played 3-8 and loved the franchise, but as soon as I finished 8 for the first time I shelved the games and they were eventually lost. I bought the combo 4-5-6-7 the other day, and it should be delivered today or tomorrow. I think I will start with MM7 and work backwards through the series.

I saw that there are several mods available, but I havent found a good thread or site that tells just what the mods actually do. Big Daddy Jim's mod seems to be a popular one, but I cant find somewhere that tells me much about it. Can someone please link me some information on this mod, or any others worth checking out?

Also, what are these MOK patches? Should I install them?

Thanks for the advice!

vladimir-maestro
Genie
Genie

Unread postby vladimir-maestro » 17 Jun 2009, 16:22

There are very usefull and easy-to-install patches by GrayFace for MM6-MM8 (MM8 will be avaible soon).
You can contact me here:
maestro_mod@yahoo.com
vladud @ yandex.ru - preferred one
---
Site about MODs: http://www.mmgames.ru
---
if you wish to upload some materials for this site - let me know.

Big Daddy Jim
Swordsman
Swordsman

Re: Back to M&M after 8+ years. Where to start? Mod info

Unread postby Big Daddy Jim » 17 Jun 2009, 16:37

Risiko wrote:For some reason the other day I really wanted to play MM7. I played 3-8 and loved the franchise, but as soon as I finished 8 for the first time I shelved the games and they were eventually lost. I bought the combo 4-5-6-7 the other day, and it should be delivered today or tomorrow. I think I will start with MM7 and work backwards through the series.

I saw that there are several mods available, but I havent found a good thread or site that tells just what the mods actually do. Big Daddy Jim's mod seems to be a popular one, but I cant find somewhere that tells me much about it. Can someone please link me some information on this mod, or any others worth checking out?

Also, what are these MOK patches? Should I install them?

Thanks for the advice!
Welcome back to the world of Real Fantasy/RPG Gaming!!

Since you have determined to start with MM7 and 'work backward', you could simply play the original games again. Since it's been a while, they should be rather fresh and new to you. If you'd like to play a mod of MM7, I would encourage you to checkout this link to the MM7rev4mod;

https://www.celestialheavens.com/newsar ... mit=Search

It contains a basic description and download link.

The Maestro has 'modded' this mod with graphic enhancements and some other updates. Search through the posts on CH to find his mod.

Whatever you decide, have fun with MM7!

BDJ
"BDJ the Coding Wizard has moved out of the Coding Fortress, has retired from Might & Magic game modification, and now lives a peaceful life in Alto Lino, Republic de Panama.

http://www.mediafire.com/BDJs

Risiko
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Risiko » 17 Jun 2009, 16:44

Thanks for the link, I'll look into Rev4.

Can anyone tell me what the MOK patches are and if I need them?

BDJ -- Is there a thread somewhere that tells what your TCC mod does? I was reading your update thread "The Chaos Conspiracy has been released!," but couldnt find anywhere that says "added X, changed Y."

phamlongtuan
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby phamlongtuan » 17 Jun 2009, 16:53

Risiko wrote:Thanks for the link, I'll look into Rev4.

Can anyone tell me what the MOK patches are and if I need them?

BDJ -- Is there a thread somewhere that tells what your TCC mod does? I was reading your update thread "The Chaos Conspiracy has been released!," but couldnt find anywhere that says "added X, changed Y."
I'm not proud to say i'm a veteran since i'm far from that. However, most of people here are die hard fan for might and magic. Thus we do not need list of changes, we enjoy to explore it ourself.

For mok patch (highly recommend) and grayface (perfectly recommend) you can find it on sticky topic of this box. They are unofficial patch for making the game better.

You should start with MM6 and changed to MM7 later since MM7 enhanced so much. Otherwise you will feel be fell from the sky. Original MM1 is welcome too.

Risiko
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Risiko » 17 Jun 2009, 17:18

phamlongtuan wrote:
For mok patch (highly recommend) and grayface (perfectly recommend) you can find it on sticky topic of this box. They are unofficial patch for making the game better.
I found them in the sticky above, but those links are just to the download files, and have no description of what they do.

So are they compatible together? Do they just fix errors, or do they add monsters, quests, items, alter storyline...? I don't want to know every little change, but I would like to know if using the patch will let me play MM with fewer crashes, or if it will be a completely different game.

phamlongtuan
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby phamlongtuan » 17 Jun 2009, 17:28

Risiko wrote:
phamlongtuan wrote:
I found them in the sticky above, but those links are just to the download files, and have no description of what they do.

So are they compatible together? Do they just fix errors, or do they add monsters, quests, items, alter storyline...? I don't want to know every little change, but I would like to know if using the patch will let me play MM with fewer crashes, or if it will be a completely different game.
They are patch just for fixing bug of attacking which official patch remain. Bug of quest and something like that. You can enjoy a bug free game. That's all with grayface patch.

Nelviticus
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Nelviticus » 17 Jun 2009, 18:25

I haven't tried Mok's patches but I use Grayface's MM6 patch and it fixes a few things that are broken in the game (such as doors that won't open), lets the game run on Windows XP, lets you customise the keys, lets you play without the CD plus a load of other small tweaks and enhancements. Most of these you can turn off if you like by changing the config file.

I think Mok's patches do similar things regarding fixing bugs, XP compatibility and no CD but don't add as many other tweaks. I think Grayface's patches include everything from Mok's patches.

The mods are a different concept - they change the game. Some just change the graphics, some - like The Chaos Conspiracy - change the whole plot and are like a new instalment.

Risiko
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Risiko » 17 Jun 2009, 18:34

Thanks for the clarification. Ill try out a patch then, and once I play through the game I will try a mod out.

skinothetis1
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby skinothetis1 » 17 Jun 2009, 22:33

You can start with MM4 because if you play 6+ the old ones will maybe look a little "old".
I personally just finishing MM5 again and i have to say that Clouds of Xeen is my favorite RPG ever :)
You have nowhere to run Sheltem. Nore do you!You motherf$#(*@ device!!

Return to “Might and Magic”