[EDITED to add TCC part 2 notes!]
Hello fellow adventurers!
I have completed a first run of TCC with much joy and satisfaction. I've made some notes and comments on various issues, from bugs to textual errors, along the way. I'm no expert game tester and know nothing about the programming behind games, so just take my notes for what they are, - a fan's observations -, and hopefully you will find some of the notes useful.
A big thanks to the team that developed TCC!
Comments on The Chaos Conspiracy Part 1
Lord Xenofixus [my LoMM name, for anyone who remembers that game ]
• Not sure why, but within a day, perhaps after loading autosave, all outdoor mobs in Sutter's Bay had respawned.
• Dead apparitions are indicated as a yellow dot on the minimap with wizard eye on, but they cannot be looted since there are no remains
• When you deliver the land deed to Jack Slagg in Kat'an, he will only accept the quest as done when you speak to him with the character that actually has the scroll in her/his inventory. Not sure if this was meant to be so.
• When loading autosave one of your characters gets a smile and 'bling' sound, like when you solved a quest.
• The orcs in the Barracks are too fat to get through the doors, so they can easily be shot from a distance. The animation for when they're hit also looks too much like their collapse when they die, so sometimes I think I've killed one, but it rises again
• I thought the idea of giving the travel schedules was very nice, but why not do this for all coach and ship services?
• There's a bug on the water between the northern island and the western part of the peninsula of Avalon (where the shrine is located): despite water walk I got hurt by the water there.
• Axe of Lugh (artifact) dropped thrice for me, once quite early in the game, once from the norsemen in the lair, and again in the Danu chest. Hammer of the gods also dropped twice for me. There were also way too many great sword drops. There is a notable lack of good daggers to be found in the game. Only mordred is in a chest quite late in the game.
• Probably general MM bug: when you town portal out of a situation where you were fighting turn based and the next turn was for the enemy, you cannot get out of turn-based anymore (eternal hourglass).
• The skeleton archers in Bog of Tuanola often walk on water, not sure if this was meant to be possible.
• It's probably intentional that you get cursed when entering Bog of Tuanola, but I don't think it's intended to be like that as well when loaded a saved game while in that map...
• The Bronze Skull, and the Gold Skull as well, seems small enough, but takes much more space in the inventory (lots of empty space around the skull is apparently needed).
• When you deliver the letter from Magus to HodgePodge, there is no 'pling' for achieved objective.
• There is some weird bug with chests. When you open it and take a certain item, say a bow, and then open it again, sometimes there is another bow there to replace it.
• If you drop a skull and town portal away and then come back, it is gone... (the same is actually true for any item dropped in dungeons).
• The statue quest in Ched Rinn is bugged. Either the provided key does not open the chest with the statue or perhaps I hadn't correctly picked up the key in the first place (when you click on the quest at the quest giver,the key should be automatically added to your inventory, right?).
• The Sorceress' Eye for a quest in Sutter's Bay can also be obtained from the well in Kat'an. Intentional?
• Pretty much the whole Drow Hive is made very easy by the fact that 90% of the creeps get stuck either at a wall or a door.
• The Tobin quest in Ellesia is in the quest log as 'Escourt Tobin back to the Misty Island Temple which should be 'Escort Tobin back to the Ellesia Temple' (i.e. spelling mistake + location mistake).
• The text of Jack Slagg for the Mabon's Cave quest could use some more commas and other interpunction. For example, "My great-great- grandfather his namesake in fact" needs a comma after 'grandfather' and again after 'in fact'.
• Might be in the original game as well, but I noticed that, when you try to hire a NPC when you already have a full party, she/he will say: "I cannot join you, you're party is full". Of course, "you're" should be "your".
• Villagers in Avalon say the following about the Druid's Temple: "Inside they keep the Pearl of Fertility one of their relics from which they drawn power". After 'Fertility', there should be a comma, and 'drawn' should be 'draw'.
• Villagers in Avalon say about the Stone Circles: "On one of the islands ....., and are now home to the monsters and madmen. Druids ....". There should be a comma after madmen instead of a period.
• When villagers quote Voltaire on the Majesty of Law, they both misquote and misattribute: The correct quote is "The law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich and the poor alike to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread" and its author is not Voltaire but Anatole France.
• Villagers in Kastution Waters remark on the Spear of Lugh: "Trust me a properly timed magic spell is far more likely to carry the day". There needs to be a colon or semicolon after 'trust me'.
• Villagers in Port Sleigon speak about Z'ul as legendary, but misspell it as "lengnedary".
• The Cursed! text when you visit Tierney Quinn in Sleigon: a wrong comma that should be a period before "Being" and 'betroved' should be 'betrothed'?
• Desmond Weller, master bow, is told to be "in the Town of Akershaven, Norseland."". Delete the apostrophs at the end.
• In Kat'an, people speak of pirates making the road between Kat'an and Sutter's Bay unsafe. "it make all travel.." should be "it makes all travels/travelling".
• Text on Baal's Garden has various interpunction errors.
• Text on Sutter's Bay has various small errors ("Nechtan rage" should be "Nechtan's rage" and "Boann Goddess of ..." should be "Boann, Goddess of ...").
• On Sigon Huk the Fifth: "Iit is said that ...". Remove the "i" in "Iit".
• The 'Alarm' text of the Seer after bringing Tamara to him has closing quotations, but no opening quotations.
• The text on Ilak needs "themselves" after "have dedicated".
• After performing the first task for Lord Godwinson, he tells about the orcs in The Barracks. Instead of "a force lead by Grish'Nak" it should be "led by..." and "well organized" should be "well-organized".
[I had about 10 more remarks here that were lost due to a crash (hadn't saved the file), a.o. about text at Z'ul. Frankly, it might just be easier if you send me all the text in a word document, so I can go over it and make changes. From here on, I will only write down textual remarks that are very important]
• The expert air magic trainer above Lord Godwinson in Demonclaw mistakenly says the master air magic can be found in Ellesia (it should be Mystic Isles).
• The passage to Mystic Isles from Avalon is confusing, since the Wind Master's destination 'Northern Island' could also refer to the northern island of Avalon itself, which has a docks of its own.
• After gaining the trust of all lords and ladies, the seer tells you that the Sleigon coach service is now working again, but it has been working again for a long time by then.
• Can't remember which blacksmith, but one of them is named 'Random'. Not sure if that was meant to be so.
• John Tuck, master learning, is told to live in Port Sleigon, but he can actually be found in Avalon.
• In the Temple of Chaos, the text you find in one of the first rooms still is about heads of Baa instead of Chaos Idols.
• People in Kastution Island talk about the Lunatic Vault as located 'on one of the large islands south of Avalon", but it's a bit silly for the guy living next to the vault to express it like that!
• The fountain in Glacier's End gives "plus 50 seven to all stats". You mean "plus 50 to all seven stats" or "plus 57 to all stats?"
• Great new story, fully developped to the level of a regular MM saga. Well done!
• Good sense of humor, e.g. the no-fly scroll when you click on the 'cheat spot' in Sutter's Bay, or the non-reward for the obelisk quest. Perhaps you could've added some more inside jokes for MM veterans though.
• The general build-up very much followed MM6, i.e. first promotional quests, 2nd promotional quests, then some major dungeons and getting ancient weapons to fight in The Hive (with a different name). Ending in 'the amazon temple' was new and of course. I don't know what TCC2 will have to offer yet, but so far, I mainly note similarities with the original MM6. This is a strength since it does justice to MM6 as the game it is a mod for. However, it is also a weakness, since it in a sense lacks originality.
• The same goes for the dungeons. You slightly revised some of them, but many were exact copies and even had the same lever mechanics, making it repetitive for someone who played MM6 a few times already.
• Artwork was splendid, but sound quality of the spoken words when visiting the lords was rather poor.
• Aside from some minor bugs (e.g. the chest for the eagle statuette that doesn't open with the provided key), the game ran very smooth, great work!
• A big thank you to all of you for this great MM experience
Comments on The Chaos Conspiracy Part 2
• The leftmost character has a graphics bug at the start (see pic)
• Loading a game before getting to the Land of Creation always puts you back at the central fountain and respawns all creeps (intended?)
• When coming to the Land of Creation, you keep getting a ‘pling *smile*’ on your characters every half a second forever
• The banana trees at the first island keep giving food, even after saying there are no more ripe bananas on them
• Graphics error on a small island near start (see pic)
• Graphics error on frozen midlands (see pic)
• Like in TCC1, there are lots of ‘bling *smile* moments, sometimes indeed because a quest
Is completed or you’ve (almost) found an object of importance, but often also at irrelevant points, at formerly relevant points or simply at random occasions
• The big boulders in the Valley of Stones do not block ranged attacks, i.e. they are completely permeable to any kind of attacks
• Are you supposed to be able to walk on the big ridge at the eastern border of the Valley of Stones, and travel to Land of Ash from there? (see pic) [P.S., to get off, you cannot fall down, but need to jump over an invisible barrier
• When I immediately hit escape after getting a squigie message, I couldn’t resume the game, but had to save and load
• Loading a game in The Land that Time Forgot resets all creeps -_-‘
• The ending video is the same as in MM6. I saw the intended video on youtube and have to say that it was really well made, although the English
of the demon is barely understandable at some moments
• Revelation message 1 spells ‘destination’ as “derstination"
• Nice idea to use the MM6 setting for a riddle/puzzle game
• Nice artwork on the new creeps, and I liked some of the names, like mr. T for the T-rex
• Good humor, like the ‘how dare you disturb my.. kidding, pal, I’m a squiggie” message
• Perhaps too simple. You created a whole new world for one rather easy puzzle that requires no wits, no riddle solving capacities, no thinking-outside-of-the-box, no variety of puzzle solving skills, but just the patience to work your way through throngs of monsters to find that stone that wants to talk to you. I noticed that in TCC part 1 as well. Why not make the obelisk or Danu tree riddle original? Or replace the riddles to open the four doors in the Fortress of Anarchy? It would have added to the enjoyment of the game
• Overall, enjoyable, but rather bland addition to TCC part 1.