Kingdoms of Erthia (LOE - Tactics Update)

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
legendoferthia
Marksman
Marksman

Unread postby legendoferthia » 11 Sep 2009, 19:12

Just another update. Once again, several hours fixing bugs that just randomly began to show up. I have changed few aspects of the game. The skill levling is going to be a little different. The original script just would not function properly. It would cause the game to randomly crash. I have created a new skill screen which shows a list of all the skilsl and the points available to distribute. However what is different is that rather than once you gain a level you can distribute your points, instead I decided to implement skill books in the random treasure system. It makes the game a little morre challenging but at the same time more random. Lets say you have your sword skill build up to 5. You would then need to have 6 points avaialble in order to use a Sword Skill Book. The good news is, I haven't experienced a single bug since these changes.

In addition, in regards to the story. I do have a good concept of what is going on, but if anyone wants to help expand ideas, it would be most appreciated. What I will do is put a section in the diary for ideas. I will explain what I have already thought of and then anyone can post any ideas that can be added or changed.

http://www.save-tara.com/loe_diary.php? ... 1252696696

#EDIT#
I have now completed all of the monsters in the game. There are 104 regular creatures that can be encountered in the game. This is not including special monsters which will be added as the story becomes developed. The monsters range from a simple goblin to the powerful phoenix to the mighty titan.
MIGHT AND MAGIC INSPIRED GAME: Legend of Erthia - Armageddon!
https://www.facebook.com/thelegendoferthia

koval321
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby koval321 » 19 Sep 2009, 08:31

I have some ideas about items, which maybe you could use (well am not sure how difficulty its for scripting) Some time ago i tryed to build my own rpg system and i begin it from items (probably because treasures is my favourite part of game)

Item icons may look the same, and differences will be shown in descriptions. Something like that was used in Eye of the beholder where was not very much different icons of sword, just +1, +2, +3 differences. It was not bad, ofcourse my idea is more advancement than just put some +1 to item.

My system is probably not very original and things like that can be found in M&M World of Xeen, Daggerfall, Rage of Mages. But i dont based it on such games, and tryed to invent something brand new (but its hard to be original) Probably it will require long names, maybe possible for shortcuts. Major idea of the system is to generate incredible amount of items, which are build from many properties.

Am write this as basic, not in order and maybe later will extend, fix that list

BLACKSMITH (from wild primitive to civilizied which should be better, every race have small community with extra knowledge and skills)
[in my system this give major value for damage and protection]
Goblin / Hobgoblin
Elven / High Elves
Dwarven / Red dwarves
Viking, Valkyria / Warlord

SET (items made for some king, usualy by masters, when collect all items you get fame (or other) bonus, they can be made by any race, but only from these rare community)
[set name is king name]
Sanraal
Xunhang

MATERIAL1 (more valuable material means better properties)
[durability and value, but this could give another bonus to DMG/AC]

Bone
Wood
Stone

Iron
Bronze
Steel

Silver
Golden
Metheorite

material 1 increase DMG/AC

MATERIAL2 (attached gems which contain magic powers)
[so there is no such thing like diamond sword in meaning that is made all from diamond]
Diamond
Ruby
Crystal

only master blacksmith may use better materials1 and 2
gems contain magic aura:

MAGIC (they are better or worst depend where you use them)
[different names for its strenght, or gem value mean how its strong]

Frost / Ice / Cold (water)
Flame / Inferno / Burning (fire)
Chaos / Shadow / Darkness / Evil (dark magic)
Blessed / Angelic / Holy (light magic)
Earthquake / Heavy (earth)
Wind / Tsunami / Hurricane (air)

MYSTERY ENGRAVINGS (item selfmade by unknown hero, not blacksmith who have work and produce lot of similar stuff)
[that items is very rare, and may be value or cursed, any name here]
Spider
Giant
Flower
Moon
Shark
Cloud
Sun
Star
Cat
Snake

QUALITY (most of items are normal, high quality have less chances to occur, qualities and mystery are bonus for common no magic items)
[broken mean -50% of values, fine mean even +50% to values]
Polished
Broken
Dusty
Dirty
Rusty
Sharp
Fine

name examples:
Elven dusty wood sword with sun engraving
High elves golden sword with crystal of chaos aura made for Xunhang

legendoferthia
Marksman
Marksman

Unread postby legendoferthia » 19 Sep 2009, 15:44

Thanks for the feed back. The race option is something I can put into the game. I have already implemented the material and magic effects for items. There are 8 different materials that weapons and armor can be made from, and there are well over thousands and thousands of different magical properties that can be combined with items and armor.

As far as the story goes, a band of characters return to their home town, Felicia. Nystal, a close friend whom has recently become the leader of Felcia, has been left to deal with the goblin problem. It seems that the goblin attacks have been picking up and have become a much larger threat to Felicia. However, the heroes couldn't have come at a better time, for the goblns have prepared for a full scale attack this time around. The story becomes much deeper when the heroes realize that there is a greater power behind these attacks. The goblins are simply a puppet to a much greater cause.

koval321
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby koval321 » 14 Oct 2009, 06:25

Scenario could be simple and usual to M&M serie, it often end on spaceship. Recently i seen movie "The devils tomb" well it was poor but idea was interesting. Very long time ago aliens build deep underground prison where freeze one from them. Let say magicians found something like that and they made research to bring back to life frozen alien. He already take mind controll over peoples who created evil cult. This area will look sci-tech like usual MM ending. When failure he will wake up and become powerfull ruler, team must find that tomb and kill beast. You will enter prison in last moment when he is already awaken, so he will be finall boss.

legendoferthia
Marksman
Marksman

Unread postby legendoferthia » 20 Nov 2009, 13:10

Update:

Hey there, it has been a while since I last posted. I have been working on a couple of projects lately. I am creating two versions to this game, the tactical version and a side sideview battle sytem like ff6 version. Everything is the same but two different combat types. The purpose in creating the sideview version was to allow those who do not like long battles. In the tactical version, battles can take up to 30 minutes or longer.In the sideview version it is simple and quick.

Anyways, the tactical is still the first priority. I am coming along with the story nicely. I am now just doign a bit of tweeking with balancing. I am also going to be implementing the armor skills, Plate, Chain, Leather, Shield. I haven't done so yet is due to lack of space on the screen to display the stats. However, I will have to adjust a few parameters.
Last edited by legendoferthia on 20 Nov 2009, 15:46, edited 2 times in total.

Lord13
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Lord13 » 20 Nov 2009, 15:38

Nice, thx for the update :)
Every man dies...
Every beast dies...
Only heroes live forever!

Talin_Trollbane
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Talin_Trollbane » 20 Nov 2009, 18:10

Erthia? surely you mean Erathia?
Ultima, Elder Scrolls and Might and Magic Veteran.

legendoferthia
Marksman
Marksman

Unread postby legendoferthia » 20 Nov 2009, 18:18

Erthia is my world. The game isn't might and magic but only based on the concept and style.

koval321
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby koval321 » 21 Nov 2009, 08:20

Strange i read it Erathia whole time.

If you change battles then where will be tactic?, but ok i learn from few games that too long combat are boring so its good decision to speed it up.

Have you played Overworld Zero ? (mini game in system shock2) Its simple but one from my favourite rpg games. Am wonder if you can made such thing in game maker. Its nothing ambitious but playability was high.

legendoferthia
Marksman
Marksman

Unread postby legendoferthia » 21 Nov 2009, 13:54

I have heard of Overlord, but I have never actually played it, perhaps I'll give it a try. In regards to the versions, they are to separate games. There is no choice to switch in the game. WHat I have done is kept all the concepts like random treasure, parameters, character building, etc. Everythinbg is the same but instead of tactical combat it uses a final fantasy 6 sideview battle system. With the sideview system I will also being using some creature art straight from heroes of might and magic series.

I will be ipdating the creatures section on my website. I have done a lot of changes with them. Monsters now have extra paremeters like skills, resistances, etc. I have also separted them into groups (Undead, demons, etc. It will be a bit easier to identify when I release the game for others to make there own worlds with.

legendoferthia
Marksman
Marksman

Massive Update!!! Several New Skills Added to the Game

Unread postby legendoferthia » 26 Nov 2009, 06:45

I just wanted to let everyone know that I have been extremely busy on this project. I have added several new key skills to the game including an armor section.

I also updated the bestiary section of my website, the monster that are shown are accurate.

http://www.save-tara.com/loe/bestiary.html

Armor Skills:
Leather
Chain
Plate
Shield

Finally, I have added new skills to the other section.

Perception - A very important skill to detect traps, especially when opening chests.

Disarm Trap - Well, there are lots of powerful treasure to be found in the game, but your not going to find it by just walking up to a chest and opening. You gotta earn it.

legendoferthia
Marksman
Marksman

Video Demo of the Game!!!

Unread postby legendoferthia » 18 Jan 2010, 03:53

Below is a link to the frontview version to the game.

The Legend of Erthia (Front View Version) Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvssWYk9Z8k

koval321
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby koval321 » 18 Jan 2010, 07:38

I watched video, build on game maker and look like another manga rpg, but am sure after longer play its possible to feel M&M atmosphere. Many skills and items, thats what i like in rpgs. 3D battle system look good, am not sure how it was in 2D tactic.

legendoferthia
Marksman
Marksman

Unread postby legendoferthia » 18 Jan 2010, 07:55

I am tryign to illiminate as much Managa as possible. So far it is just the character sprites that are managa. I am still figuring out how I can obtain new charatcer sprites. It was easier with the tactical version because the sprites were fixed so I can use rogue like sprites.

The combat is the best part of the game. It hasa good might and magic feel to it. It is not turn based, so you have to be quick with your actions.

GrayFace
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby GrayFace » 18 Jan 2010, 09:43

The video is very impressive!
My patches: MM6 MM7 MM8. MMExtension. Tools. Also, I love Knytt Stories and Knytt Underground. I'm also known as sergroj.

legendoferthia
Marksman
Marksman

Unread postby legendoferthia » 18 Jan 2010, 15:05

Below is a screenshot from the front view battle system. I have already done some updates since the video. I will also post this picture in the main topic. Working with three versions to the game, tactical, side view, and now the front view... I find this has the best feel to might and magic. The fornt view is pretty much realtime action despite the pauses when choosing spells and such.

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 18 Jan 2010, 15:09

The UI is very similar to Phantasy Star IV or Live A Live I have to say. And shops/chests are very much like in MM9.

Overall looks good, especially spell effects (something that we never got to see in MMs :( ), though you should check your spelling (for example, "sorcerer" is written as "sorceror").

Talin_Trollbane
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Talin_Trollbane » 18 Jan 2010, 15:14

looked more like Final Fantasy then Might and Magic to me, (Final Fantasy of Might and Magic?) but i will prob try it out anyway, cuz i liked FF3 on SNES.

EDIT: ah youa re using RPG maker, then i understand.
Ultima, Elder Scrolls and Might and Magic Veteran.

legendoferthia
Marksman
Marksman

Unread postby legendoferthia » 18 Jan 2010, 15:28

Thanks for feedback, However where was the spelling error, I searched and I cannot find it?
GreatEmerald wrote:The UI is very similar to Phantasy Star IV or Live A Live I have to say. And shops/chests are very much like in MM9.

Overall looks good, especially spell effects (something that we never got to see in MMs :( ), though you should check your spelling (for example, "sorcerer" is written as "sorceror").

Lord13
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Lord13 » 18 Jan 2010, 17:00

I saw the video, and although I am one of those who
will prefer the non-manga artwork, I am so impressed.
As I said and a past post I worked a lot with RPGMaker
and all those options,skills,elements etc you created are
so freaking hard and require huge amount of time. So,
many bravo for the progress so far, can't wait to see it
finished :)
Every man dies...
Every beast dies...
Only heroes live forever!

Return to “Might and Magic”