Why MM is so much better than newer games

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
Macros the Black
Druid
Druid

Unread postby Macros the Black » 10 May 2009, 23:45

Avonu wrote:Since when? :P
It is still strategy/tactics game with elements of adventure or hero development.
By that logic JRPGs are "strategy/tactics" games.

Actually the difference is simply that games like Might and Magic are deeply influenced by the Wizardry series, while the "strategy/tactics" games are more influenced by the Ultima series.

Ultima featured an overworld map with random encounters way before games like Final Fantasy came to be. And yet it's considered one of the games that shaped the modern RPG. Having an overworld and battles taking place in a different screen is by no means an indication that you're not playing an RPG. Many RPGs work that way, even today.

Granted, the buying of troops is a little different, but the way it functions in the game it is more alike buying equipment than actual army management or base building.

Sure, the Heroes series departed so far from the formula that I don't think they are RPGs (base building, equal development for the enemy player instead of always preimagined enemies to encounter, etc etc etc.). But Kings Bounty? Definately RPG.

koval321
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby koval321 » 20 May 2009, 11:04

Most of first person RPGs was usualy dungeons, MM was game which open to many environments, and monsters include sci-fi elements, game where everything was possible and probably this is reason why its better than others, it was never boring. MM6 bring better graphic, photo real characters and equipment system which make even larger addiction to game world.

But these classic old rpgs are still popular, for example Dungeon Master which was probably first FPP-RPG game ever. Now exist many programs allow to build own dungeons (RTC is best) and huge amount of fan games. Check this site: http://www.dungeon-master.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=31 Personally am larger fan of DM than MM, but surely i would like to play some kind of MM10 because it have good style and high playability.

urnothere
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby urnothere » 05 Nov 2009, 18:09

The reason why MM is one of my favorite series is because of the huge emphasis it places on discovery and exploration. Your party is always a bunch of generic adventurers because the point of the game isn't to follow someone else's story, it's to explore an open-ended world of adventure and fantasy. The emphasis is on YOU and not the characters. Also, I love the humor in the series, the puzzles and riddles and some people hate the sci-fi stuff but I think it's great. Your characters are always thrown into a world with little or no instructions, which can be difficult to make fun but MM always does (except the first one, IMO). That execution is what makes the series so great.

Talin_Trollbane
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Talin_Trollbane » 05 Nov 2009, 21:50

maybe its because the older games where made by people that actually liked their work and their games, while new games are made by people that want money?

i dunno.
Ultima, Elder Scrolls and Might and Magic Veteran.

Variol
Wraith
Wraith

Unread postby Variol » 05 Nov 2009, 22:15

Talin_Trollbane wrote:maybe its because the older games where made by people that actually liked their work and their games, while new games are made by people that want money?

i dunno.
Don't say I dunno: I think you actually "do" know!

Talin_Trollbane
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Talin_Trollbane » 05 Nov 2009, 23:06

i do? its cool.
Ultima, Elder Scrolls and Might and Magic Veteran.

Return to “Might and Magic”