This guide is for Windows XP Pro Service pack 2 on a clean system install and everything is updated. This means to update your bios, video drivers, directx 9.0c and xp. After you have installed the games make sure that you have the latest patches installed for MM6-7, and 9. This should work on XP Home also as long as you have Service pack 2 and everything uptodate. Special Thanks to Bones at http://telp.org/ for the fix for MM8.
Might and Magic I-III on XP Pro Service Pack 2
- To run these games download http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/download.php?main=1
- Browse to your start menu and run dosbox.
- You will need to type "mount c c:\" (Without the quotes) then enter.
- Then you will need to type c: and hit enter.
- Now browse go to the directory from dosbox and run the exe.
Note: If you are not familiar with dos, then read the readme.txt. You can play I-III without dosbox but the games will run smoother with dosbox.
Might and Magic IV-V plus Swords of Xeen on XP Pro Service Pack 2
- You will need to run dosbox to play these games trouble free.
Might and Magic VI-IX on XP Pro Service Pack 2
IMPORTANT: Download Windows Application Compatibility Toolkit from here and install.
I had hardware accelerated mode for video on ALL except MM7. I was not able to select sound options at all on MM6-MM7.
- MM6 -http://home.mchsi.com/~andy4590/mm6x.zip Follow the instructions included. This allows you to play on XP with the CD.
- MM7 -First run MM7 configuration utility and change to software 3d. Go to your MM7 directory and right click MM7.exe and choose properties. Click the Compatibility tab. Go to compatibility mode area and click run this program in compatibility mode. Then choose Windows 98/ME and click okay. Then goto the start menu, then run, and type dxdiag. Click the sound tab. Then under directx features move the slider all the way down to no acceleration Hardware sound Acceleration level. Now run the game. You will need the cd.
- MM8 -To play MM8 you need to have installed Windows Application Compatibility Toolkit. You will need to download http://home.mchsi.com/~andy4590/MM8comXpProSP2.sdb Browse to the start menu, then programs, then to Microsoft Windows Application Compatibility Toolkit, and then click on Compatibility Administrator Tool 3.0. Click open and browse to where you saved MM8comXpProSP2.sdb and open the file. Under New Database you should see a new entry. Something like MM8 [c:\Documents and Settings\Drew\Desktop\MM8comXpProSP2.sdb] Right click this and chose install. Go to your MM8 directory and right click MM8.exe and choose properties. Click the Compatibility tab. Go to compatibility mode area and click run this program in compatibility mode. Then choose Windows 98/ME and click okay. Now run MM8 and enjoy.
- MM9 -Should work just fine after installing the game.