Some questions

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
Thamoo
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Some questions

Unread postby Thamoo » 30 Nov 2008, 11:46

Hi all! new member here on the forum! I've discovered H5 about 1 month ago and convinced some of my friends to buy it too for some online action =)

I have several questions that I haven't been able to awnser reading the fan manual, here they are :

1. What exactly is affected by soldier's luck? Would magic resistance and abilities like magic mirror have more chances of happening if I have soldier's luck?

2. Can magic mirror reflect spells to creatures immuned to that spell? Main example would be against a necromancer casting pupeet master : Can magic mirror trigger, and the random target be one of their stack of creatures (all undead)? I assume pupeet master would have no effect on them, but at least I wouldn't get hit by the spell...

3. This one is better explained with an example. Lets say I'm using havez and I'm lucky enuff to get basic attack (aiming for the flaming balista obviously). What are the chances of getting an attack related skill or advance attack? Are they much lower than for example getting advances summoning and summoning-related skills? (If I also have basic summoning, of course).

4. Are which skills you get completly random or is there some modyfing factors beside whats on the skill wheel? For example I have expert light magic and want master of blessing, I currently have no skill in light magic. Is the chances of getting it is 25% every time the game decides its time to offer a light-related skill? Or do the game tries to "rotate" which skills are offered?

5. How do I get ultimate artificer or other ultimate abilities? I understand how to get for example arcane omnisciance, is ultimate artificer only gets offered once you have arcane omnisciance?

The other questions are strategy-related, note that I'm playing academy on hard difficulty on usually small to large maps.

1. How good is spoils of war? I tried it once but the game ended before I got to see its real power. Would that really help my artificer skill or am I better of getting other skills?

2. If I'm offered basic attack at a relativly low level (say, before 10), is the correct descision to take it, no question asked, and focus on getting a flaming balista? Or is it sometime better to continue to develop as normal? (Which is, for me : artificer, enlightment, sorcery, light magic, another magic school depending on the mage guild and another skill such as luck or logistic)

3. Wouldn't war machines (even with the flaming arrow) gets obsolete in the endgame? I mean the opponent could just two shot my balista and there goes my 5 point investment...

4. Whats the best creeping method in hard for academy? I usually starts with narxes (unless I rush with havez), week 1 is gremlin saboteur + stack of gorgoyles protecting the gremlins. Week 2 is Gremlins + 6 stack of mages/archmages. I keep that untill I get my titans, then I can go several way.

It works good, no question about that. But what are the good alternatives?

5. Is swift mind worth aiming for? I realise the skill is awesome... but arcane intuition and scouting, aren't. Doing so also keeps me from reaching mentor, teleport assault and march of the golems... so, usually worth it?

Thx in advance =)

Edit : Also, how should I play against haven? It seems that if they achieve a good number of paladins its game over really. Its like starting with one less stack =p

Is a fast rush the only option?

Asheera
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Asheera » 30 Nov 2008, 13:20

Hello and Welcome to the Round Table :)

1. Soldier's Luck affects only the creature's abilities that trigger with a chance (Bash, Unicorn's Blind, Whip Strike, Crippling Wound, Torpor, etc). It does NOT affect Magic Mirror or Magic Resistance.

2. No, it can not reflect spells to creature immune to that spell. Those creatures that are immune are ignored.

3. After you get Basic Attack (2% chance in your case), there will be no more 'discriminations' for that skill and its perks. Advancing the Attack skill or getting attack-related perks will have high chances, like all the other skills (when advancing them) and their perks. Only getting it to Basic mastery requires a lot of Luck, since it has a 2% chance to pop up.

4. Hmm, it's completely random, no 'rotations' or such. However, there are some specific rules when choosing randomly between multiple skills/perks.

Skills (those on the left when leveling up)
For skills, you'll have two pop-ups: one of a new skill, which is selected from all the skills you don't have based on some specific chances your faction has, and an old, upgradeable skill (upgrade it to higher mastery) chosen from the list of all your skills not taken to Expert mastery yet, with the same chances. That's right, once you pick a skill it won't matter that it pops only 2% for your faction anymore, it will have the same chance to pop up at "upgrade" as the others.

There is the special case when you don't have more skills to upgrade, and you'll be offered two new skills. There is also the special case when you can't learn a new skill (you have all 5 slots occupied) and you'll be offered from two upgrade-able skills to choose.

Abilities
First, there is a rule: You can learn only ONE ability per mastery level of the respective skill. So, to learn Battle Frenzy AND Archery, you'll have to have at least Advanced Attack.

Now, there are three "basic" abilities for each skill. These pop up with equal chance at level up, regardless of the skill they are in.

There are also "advanced" abilities with specific requirements based on your class.

When you level up, you are offered two abilities: one basic and one advanced (doesn't matter the skill from which they originate). If you have no advanced skills, two basics will pop up, and vice-versa.

Don't forget the rule that you can gain only one ability per that ability's skill mastery level. This also means you can learn only THREE abilities max for a specific skill.

5. The Ultimate Skill (not ability) is gained using the Pendant of Mastery artifact, which increases your mastery of your racial to next level. So, you must have Expert Racial + Pendant of Mastery to get Ultimate Racial.

Now for the strategy tips:

1. Spoils of War is very weak, you should avoid getting it.

2. For Academy? Of course, if you really want a Flaming Ballista or something like that (good choice for Wizards where the Ballista is pretty powerful), then you should pick the 2% skills (Attack) whenever it is shown... you might miss your chance for good if you don't take it!

3. Yep, that's why you shouldn't delay the game too much. Most balanced ending is on week 6 or something like that, but if you play a very large map, some more time is also acceptable. However, it's not a very good idea to get past month 2 and especially 3. The might factions will gain a major advantage over the destructive magic ones (Dungeon)

4. Sorry can't help, not an expert with Academy, I'm more a Dungeon player.

5. Swift Mind is very powerful. Of course, there are other good alternatives that you said, but Swift Mind is definitely a worth investment as well. One fast acting of the hero can change the tide of battle.
No matter how powerful one becomes, there is always someone stronger. That's why I'm in a constant pursuit of power, so I can be prepared when an enemy tries to take advantage of me.

Thamoo
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Thamoo » 30 Nov 2008, 13:46

thx alot, clears everything up for me^^

For the strategy question number 3, what about if my opponent is not haven (because of training)? Wouldn't our artificer ability gives us big advantages the longer the game takes against most other factions? Playing against for example, fortress. Their runelore ability, as soon as it hits expert... Thats it, its maxed (will give the same results month 1 than month 3) Now all their ressources goes to waste(or well, their runes.. but I think a runemage would spam all their runes regardless on their cost in the important battles aniway), while ours are directly boosting our armies stats.

According to that logic, except against haven, shouldn't I want to make the game last longer?

Also, unrelated but I just brainstormed that 2 min ago...

Would taking Havez as a starting hero for the balista/gremlins and using the hero you bought from the tavern as a main hero be a really good tactic? Thats awesome creeping power coupled with a hero that dosn't start with 1 less skill than everyone! If your tavern gets you a useless hero such as faiz, nur or galib, you can safely buy a third hero and main it (the money for the third hero comes from you not having to buy a balista).

If your really unlucky and both your second and third hero are bad, just don't buy the third one and play the game with havez, definitivly not a bad thing =)

Asheera
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Asheera » 30 Nov 2008, 14:26

For the one about longing the game, I'm not sure. I just thought that a longer game = more levels for the heroes, and more levels for might heroes = more attack and defense + more creatures, while magic heroes get more spellpower and knowledge + more creatures (but the creatures, which are more, are not affected by Spellpower and Knowledge like they are from the Att and Def of a Might Hero) Of course, that's an oversimplification, and I'm not sure in every situation whether it's good to make the game last longer or not... I think it depends on many factors, including the map.

As for the Havez thing, sure it would be a good creeping power what you say, but Havez is a very good hero himself, especially at creeping because he starts with War Machines skill (and the Tent is very useful at creeping to minimize loses when having the Tent perk)
No matter how powerful one becomes, there is always someone stronger. That's why I'm in a constant pursuit of power, so I can be prepared when an enemy tries to take advantage of me.

Thamoo
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Thamoo » 01 Dec 2008, 01:31

True.. I think I forgot to say, when I play with my friends, its often on at least a medium map (Sometime even large, but never more than that =p) with some comps. We usually kill the computeurs before finishing each other off. That does make the game last longer then supposed and by the end of the game, havez's lack of a second starting skill and the fact that war machines in late game dosn't scale that much starts to cause problems...

But I assume that most people when playing online is more along the lines of 1v1 on a small map right? In such a game, your right havez is definitivly the way to go.

Return to “Heroes V-VI”