Installing the Classics

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
Echo_
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Installing the Classics

Unread postby Echo_ » 05 Feb 2006, 01:03

How do install the MM CLassics (MM 1-5 and swords) on Windows XP?

I've tried opening the file called 'INSTALL' and I get a seup configuration thingy which gives me no real direction. Any idea what I do?

xeroid16
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby xeroid16 » 07 Feb 2006, 04:56

scroll down to faq and there are some instructions on downloading a dos box program. i just tried it and it works. i am able to get mm4 to play. no sound but it wasn't any good anyway. :D

Echo_
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Echo_ » 07 Feb 2006, 11:44

Thank you. Actually, I've already played mm3-5 and I loved them I just want to play #2.
Be Without Haste
Live the Moment

Echo_
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Echo_ » 07 Feb 2006, 22:19

1-To run these games download http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/download.php?main=1
2-Browse to your start menu and run dosbox.
3-You will need to type "mount c c:\" (Without the quotes) then enter.
4-Then you will need to type c: and hit enter.
5-Now browse go to the directory from dosbox and run the exe

I did all of that except #5. What does that mean? Its not correct english and for someone who has no clue about DOS it is very hard to understand, actually impossible.

Where do I go/what do I do from here?

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 07 Feb 2006, 23:34

It means you need to go to the directory through dos and execute the .exe file from dos. You just need to know where the directory is. In windows, find out what the directory in which the .exe file is. I.e.: C:\Program Files\3DO\ .

When you are in dos (via dosbox) from the c:\ prompt, you want to change to the 3do directory (or whatever your directory is). You do this by using the change directory command, which in dos is "cd". Note the dos does not support long file names, so the "program files" directory is probably something like "progra~1". Under the c:\ prompt, to see all directories, type "dir". This will list them all. (if you have too many that they go off the screen, you can type "dir /p" to see them one screen at the time. You can use this to verify what the name of your directory is under dos. (Keep in mind that using the dir command will only show you one level up in the directory structure - in my example you won't see "progra~1\3do", you will just see "progra~1". To see the next level you need to enter "dir" again from the progra~1 directory.)

Anyway, once you know what the directory name is, you can just go there using "cd".

For example, in the above you would go:

cd progra~1\3do (and press enter)
or you can do it one step at a time: cd progra~1 (enter) and then do dir to see what the directories are and then go "cd 3do" (enter).

Your prompt would now be "c:\progra~1\3do". You can do a "dir" again to see a list of all the files in the directory. Or if you already know what the name of the .exe file is, you can just type it in to execute it. For example if it is "mightandmagic.exe" just type "mightand magic" and it should run the program.

If I recall correctly, as you stated, you have to "mount" the dosbox first via those instructions before you run the program, so make sure you do that.
"What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?" - Richard P. Feynman

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 07 Feb 2006, 23:50

Well, you may use qemu too, I guess, but it rely on the fact if you have old DOS somewhere in your drawer.

Advantages: Higher speed.
Disadvantages: May occure problems with emulated devices, cdrom and sound exactly in that order. The cdrom problem maybe somewhat crucial....
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

Echo_
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Echo_ » 08 Feb 2006, 01:43

okay, thanks a bunch I got it working.

BTW: is there any way I can increase the size of the DOS screen?

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 08 Feb 2006, 03:18

I'm pretty sure there's a full screen command but I can't for the life of me remember what it is. If I remember I'll post it here.
"What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?" - Richard P. Feynman

Psychobabble
Spectre
Spectre

Unread postby Psychobabble » 08 Feb 2006, 03:34

if you load the dos window from a windows shortcut there's a check box which can make it full screen i think. Otherwise is there anything in /help?

Psychobabble
Spectre
Spectre

Unread postby Psychobabble » 08 Feb 2006, 03:38

Psychobabble wrote:Otherwise is there anything in /help?
And I just checked myself... nothing. If the shortcut idea doesn't work, try typing format c:\ though.**

**Do not type that :)

Echo_
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Echo_ » 09 Feb 2006, 02:27

okay, well thanks anyway for all the help. Now I can play games that bring back amazing memories.

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 09 Feb 2006, 04:11

You're going to miss the automapping feature, though. I did, when I went back. :)

Psychobabble
Spectre
Spectre

Unread postby Psychobabble » 13 Feb 2006, 04:41

Stupid me, dosbox has a fullscreen command in the readme. Just start the program with -fullscreen in the command line (to do that, either make a shortcut for dosbox.exe and put -fullscreen outside the quote marks in the target or run the prog from start/run with that outside the quotes).

w11988
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Having trouble installing MM4 as well

Unread postby w11988 » 18 Oct 2006, 23:06

I'm also having a bit of trouble running MM4 from my XP machine. I recently purchase a Might and Magic Trilogy CD.
I have done the following:
Intalled dosbox
I am about to mount manuever though my c: d: (separate harddrive partitions) and f: drive (CD)
I have tried copying over all the files on the CD and running install from c: drive. I am prompted with a message that say to install from the cd.
I then mount the f: drive by entering mount f f:\
When I browser to f: drive in dosbox and run install, I get the same message.

Gaffer
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Gaffer » 27 Oct 2006, 16:26

I've been trying to install World of Xeen with DosBox(but it says that the setup file cant be run in DB), because I couldn't install it from the disc as it doesn't run on XP. Anyone know anything

DaveO
Demon
Demon

Unread postby DaveO » 05 Nov 2006, 01:32

If you copy all of the World of Xeen files from the CD, you should be able to run install from the command prompt and then use DosBox to be able to play it.
I'd rather be part bull than a complete sheep.

Return to “Might and Magic”