Fortress Special

Feedback for the articles that appear on Celestial Heavens.
Sir Charles
War Dancer
War Dancer

Fortress Special

Unread postby Sir Charles » 26 Nov 2006, 20:55

If you would like to take a look at the original page visit this link:
https://www.celestialheavens.com/640
Calvin: "Weekends don't count unless you spend them doing something completely pointless."

Sir Charles
War Dancer
War Dancer

Fortress Special

Unread postby Sir Charles » 26 Nov 2006, 20:55

The Guard Post is amazing. The description is pretty deceptive. What it basically does is it grants you free defenders. The amount of defenders depends on your biggest stack of Shieldguards. I'm currently near the end of a SP map where my main hero has 1500 shieldguards. And imagine my surprise when my town gets attacked and I've only got a level 2 hero and a blackbear for defense but I get a free additional 1500 shieldguards too. I didn't win the battle but I whittled him down tremendously. For a level 1 building, this one packs a punch.
Calvin: "Weekends don't count unless you spend them doing something completely pointless."

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 26 Nov 2006, 21:58

And it didn't do anything to your existing Shieldguards?
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Sir Charles
War Dancer
War Dancer

Fortress Special

Unread postby Sir Charles » 27 Nov 2006, 04:04

Nope. They were still there and unaffected. Just completely free and bonus troops. No strings attached.

Mytical
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Mytical » 27 Nov 2006, 06:15

They die at the end of the combat anyhow, but yes, it is free troops for the defense. Nice little building. Sort of a free summoning :). And with their special that makes walls, ect harder to destroy it can really add up.
Warning, may cause confusion, blindness, raising of eybrows, and insanity. Image

Sir_Toejam
Nightmare
Nightmare

Unread postby Sir_Toejam » 27 Nov 2006, 09:21

hmm, i actually got hundreds of defenders having none in my actual army, and you get them even if your army has no dwarves in it at all.

first time i tried it, it was with a dwarven army with no defenders in it, and the building gave me around 650 defenders.

Is it possible it's dependent on town build level, like the damage from towers?

Elvin
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Elvin » 27 Nov 2006, 13:30

One question:If you win a battle in your town having only raised creatures you can recruit your hero from your tavern with the xp from the battle.If you win only with these shieldguards and they disappear can your hero be rehired?
I, for one, am dying to find out what colour they paint Michael's toenails.
- Metathron

Mirez
Location: in the core of the hart of the centre of everything

Unread postby Mirez » 27 Nov 2006, 13:32

I think it's the total defenders you had in total the whole game cause I had like 300 in my army and when I defended I got 720 of them
treants are dendrosexual 0_o

Grumpy Old Wizard
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Grumpy Old Wizard » 27 Nov 2006, 13:40

I just faced an opponent that got over 2000 free defenders on "The Iron Throne" single player HOF map.

I have gotten quite a large number before, but not that many. I portaled back to my castle and used them to beat a very strong opponent on one of the campaign maps.

GOW
Frodo: "I wish the ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened."
Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

PhoenixReborn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby PhoenixReborn » 27 Nov 2006, 14:43

My thought is that it is based on the week. Because if you get attacked twice in the same week you get the same number of defenders. As the game goes on the numbers get larger.

Plus, I think that it should act as a summoned stack that disappears when your real troops are killed.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 27 Nov 2006, 15:13

PhoenixReborn wrote: Plus, I think that it should act as a summoned stack that disappears when your real troops are killed.
Should is not the same as is :devious:

PhoenixReborn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby PhoenixReborn » 27 Nov 2006, 21:03

DaemianLucifer wrote:
PhoenixReborn wrote: Plus, I think that it should act as a summoned stack that disappears when your real troops are killed.
Should is not the same as is :devious:
Obviously, that isn't the way it is in the game...I see that you are joking.

It's funny because when the battle finishes they do disappear like a summoned stack, just not if they are the only unit left on your side...

Has anyone got the manual from AOH to look and see if it's in there what determines the number of them?

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 27 Nov 2006, 21:10

PhoenixReborn wrote: It's funny because when the battle finishes they do disappear like a summoned stack, just not if they are the only unit left on your side...
So they dont act like summons,because if you have just summons,you loose.

Sir Charles
War Dancer
War Dancer

Fortress Special

Unread postby Sir Charles » 28 Nov 2006, 04:03

Nope. The AoH manual only has the poorly written description that's in the game. That's it. And yes, I think it's based on the total number of troops that have been produced in the game up to that point. Not purchased/un-purchased...but rather total number possibly purchased.

Sir Charles
War Dancer
War Dancer

Fortress Special

Unread postby Sir Charles » 29 Nov 2006, 18:41

Sfidanza from AoH found the formula for the Guard Post. It's 10 x (town level) x (Month).

So in month 4 with my fully built up fortress I was getting 1500 Shieldguards.

sublife21
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Fortress Special

Unread postby sublife21 » 04 Dec 2006, 19:47

That Guard Post sounds rediculous. In a good way of course. But it gives Fortress such an extreme advantage late in a game. It's like, "don't leave anyone there except one defender or shield guard and a hero, send them out to die and get somewhere around 1000 shield guards to add to your army." That's crazy. That's gonna have to go into the strategy section for this part. Another good thing is that it's going to give everyone who doesn't really know how to play a way better chance of doing well.

Sir Charles
War Dancer
War Dancer

Fortress Special

Unread postby Sir Charles » 04 Dec 2006, 22:55

Just so you know, you don't get to keep those extra Shield guards. They're just for castle defense only. You can't take them out of the town and they're gone after the siege. And late-game...1000 shield guards aren't THAT tough to beat. But it IS helpful for the defenders...don't doubt that for a second.

sublife21
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Fortress Special

Unread postby sublife21 » 04 Dec 2006, 23:23

Oh, okay. I'm a mac user so I haven't gotten either yet, but that makes it alot fairer. I thought I saw somewhere on here that if your army is destroyed you keep the guards. Okay, thanks for the clarification.

While on the subject, anyone know when it's comming out for mac? Either of the games? I saw somewhere a late december release, is that still on?

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Re: Fortress Special

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 05 Dec 2006, 00:50

sublife21 wrote:Oh, okay. I'm a mac user so I haven't gotten either yet, but that makes it alot fairer. I thought I saw somewhere on here that if your army is destroyed you keep the guards. Okay, thanks for the clarification.
That missunderstanding came from the fact that,unlike summons,you can still fight if your real units get killed and shieldguards survive.

Return to “Articles”