Sorceress' Town Evolution

The old Heroes games developed by New World Computing. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.

Which sorceress' town design do you like best?

Heroes I
10%
Heroes II
23%
Heroes III
31%
Heroes IV
12%
Heroes V
25%

Total votes: 120

berntie
Scout
Scout

Sorceress' Town Evolution

Unread postby berntie » 06 Aug 2006, 12:18

Here's the next town evolution poll.

(If you feel like complaining I should'nt have started it read that post of mine).

Which sorceress' town do you like best:

Heroes I:

Heroes II:

Heroes III:

Heroes IV:

Heroes V:

I like all of them, but I think I prefer the newer ones since Heroes III. And the winner is ...

Heroes IV! Really!

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 06 Aug 2006, 13:13

Heroes 5. The other looks too much like a random assortment of buildings, which although nice in themselves doesn't give a very good overall impression
Last edited by Gaidal Cain on 06 Aug 2006, 16:50, edited 1 time in total.
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

Qurqirish Dragon
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Qurqirish Dragon » 06 Aug 2006, 13:39

I think the Heroes 5 seems the most logical development of the town, as GC said.

My second choice would probably have been H1. H1 towns in general were nice because you actually saw the creatures in their dwellings- and many (actually, I believe most) were animated as well (for example, the sprite sitting outside the treehouse was swinging her legs back and forth. The only other place we saw touches like this was with the dragon cliffs in H3- and that was just the one creature.

The graphics level in H1 was the lowest, but they put in other touches that made it much better. I remember when first playing H1/H2 (I got them at the same time), I noticed that the H2 towns seemed more "dead" than the H1 ones. Not having played H4, I don't know if anything was animated there, but from the image here, I don't see any creatures outside to be animated.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 06 Aug 2006, 14:00

A really tough one,but I have to go with HIII here.HI was my second choice here because of the liveliness,as QD stated.

dallasmavs41
Demon
Demon

Unread postby dallasmavs41 » 06 Aug 2006, 14:14

I like the H2 town, so I'll have to go with that. The other ones are great, but I love the old school look of H2, which slightly edged out H1...

Zombie_Inc
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Zombie_Inc » 06 Aug 2006, 15:07

Voted H5, because of sam reason as GC. I would have voted H3, but it always annoys me that you need a capitol to make the road reach the castle, and is too stupid.
"Patching Eternal!"

Orfinn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Orfinn » 06 Aug 2006, 15:39

Voted H5. It just looks great, the buildings looks like their surroundings, with roots and a nice architecture to them. It feels natural and calm to me when I look at them. And a great tree in the center sorrounded with life giving water around it and a sun that shines through the foliage, makes it even better. This town has a very nice atmosphere :butterfly:

The past towns look so rough and not natural enough to me, but if I have to choose I'll go with the one from HIV at second place and the rampart town from HIII at third place.

mr.hackcrag
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby mr.hackcrag » 06 Aug 2006, 16:53

Orfinn wrote:Voted H5. It just looks great, the buildings looks like their surroundings, with roots and a nice architecture to them. It feels natural and calm to me when I look at them. And a great tree in the center sorrounded with life giving water around it and a sun that shines through the foliage, makes it even better. This town has a very nice atmosphere :butterfly:
Orfinn, you read my mind exactly. Although, it was a hard choice between H5 and H2. There's something about H2 that gives it a classical feeling. If the dwarf cottage and unicorn glade were better, I'd go with H2, but this time, H5 all the way.

Edit: H3 has the best backround. It really gives a sense of wilderness.

HodgePodge
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby HodgePodge » 06 Aug 2006, 17:29

Voted Heroes II

There's just something about the Heroes I & II Sorceress Towns which bring out the fantasy & magical feelings in me. :)
Last edited by Anonymous on 19 Jun 2007, 16:05, edited 2 times in total.
Walk Softly & Respect All Life!

Click Here: Lords of War and Money … A Free & Fun Browser Game.

Akul
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Akul » 06 Aug 2006, 22:06

Voted H4:

It really feels like a forrest. H1 and H2 seem more like castles that have been taken over by elves while the H5 one would be my second choice.
I am back and ready to... ready to... post things.

Ya5MieL
Marksman
Marksman

Unread postby Ya5MieL » 06 Aug 2006, 23:41

Wow, i actualy didnt vote for H2 (first town poll where i didnt do that)

It was a very tough call between 3 and 5... but in the end i voted 3..

H4 is too boring looking (as all h4 towns)

H2 and H1 while good, cant compete with 3 and 5 for this PARTICULAR town.

And about H1 creatures infront of dwellings... they were great, but pikeman in front of tavern in EVERY town annoyed me, since it was castle unit.

Banedon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Banedon » 07 Aug 2006, 00:12

Vote Heroes 2. The Heroes 5 town doesn't even look like a town; it has zero defenses against an invading army, except a street-to-street brawl. Yes, it looks beautiful, but nothing too impressive.

Heroes 3 is a close runner-up, but I like the Rainbow arching over the Heroes 2 town more. Heroes 4 towns I've never liked. They're just too...scattered.
Last edited by Banedon on 07 Aug 2006, 12:32, edited 1 time in total.

eekstah
Scout
Scout

Unread postby eekstah » 07 Aug 2006, 00:27

It's clearly H3 for me.

I like most H1 towns, but this one is just not doing it for me.
H2 is second best in my opinion. Nice details and charming look.
H4 is like the rest of the H4 towns: disorderly and plastic-looking. And the grass doesn't look like grass. The entire thing looks more like it's in midle of a swamp than in a forrest.
H5 is different. Undoubtfully innovative. Still I just don't think they pulled it off. It's certainly not the most userfriendly one neighter.

H3 is the most realistic one. The castle on top of the hill gives it a noble and nearly menacing look, and the dragon cliffs on the other side likewise. The misty forrest in the background reminds me of Norwegian woods during rainy weather; melancholic yet beautiful - I can almost feel the cool, fresh air just by watching it. And all the small houses spread round makes it look like a real town.

Odish
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Odish » 07 Aug 2006, 09:14

I'll go with H2 because I like the paggoda -like red tower and the mage guild.
H5 is the runerup, mainly because finaly the fortress facing outside instead of inside. I never quite got it, why is the entrance to a town with all it's towers and the moat is directed into the town. do you suppose to enter the town first, kill and destroy the buildings and population and only then face the fortress? stupid...

Meandor
Blood Fury
Blood Fury

Unread postby Meandor » 07 Aug 2006, 12:05

H4, second would be H3

gravyluvr
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby gravyluvr » 07 Aug 2006, 18:02

HOMM 1-2 versions are bright and inviting and make you feel the goodness of the sorcerer. HOMM 3-4 are more drab and boring. I'm still not really used to the HOMM5 towns yet.

In this case, the HOMM2 wins with HOMM1 as a second place. I still wish we could see interaction of creatures in towns more, but HOMM2 and it's beautiful rainbow win out in my mind.
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
If I were a flower, I'd be a really big flame-throwing flower with five heads.

Vlad976

Unread postby Vlad976 » 10 Aug 2006, 02:16

Vote Heroes 2
I'm gonna see spots after looking at the Heroes V town.
Simmons: I think you’re asking me if these computers store all the data on Red and Blue armies?
Sarge: Control Alt Bingo.

Chorus
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Chorus » 10 Aug 2006, 02:44

Voted Heroes I

It looks most fairy tale-like, which is what Heroes I still has over the rest. The H2 one is too cluttered, H3's is too sparse, 4's is somewhat bland, and 5's is a giant pretentious tree. "Oooh they're eleves so they live in a big tree..." That's inspired.

Deni
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Deni » 10 Aug 2006, 11:10

voted h1

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 13 Aug 2006, 15:27

H2 of course. H4 gets 2nd, with H3 third.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Return to “Heroes I-IV”