High enough Master Merchant superior to GM?

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
Xfing
Vampire
Vampire

High enough Master Merchant superior to GM?

Unread postby Xfing » 22 May 2014, 09:27

Could someone show me an example of Master Merchant at a high enough level being more efficient than GM Merchant? I know that shop prices for items will never go below their actual value, but there seems to be no such limit on service prices (Training, learning skills, tavern rooms and filling packs) - training and learning skills being the reason I give 10 points in Merchant to every character in the party. GM Merchant pulls those prices way, way down, but seems to put an arbitrary limit on how low they go. So is it possible to go below that limit with high enough Master Merchant?

Arret
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby Arret » 22 May 2014, 22:48

They are capped at the same amount (which is skill 50=Master 17) although the differences become relatively negligible after level 13 master. This is consistent and intentional. That is considered the "at cost" price to the vendors.

The only time you can get a discount beyond that is in unpatched MM9 which even allows you to pay negative amounts (get paid cash for buying an item/service) at sufficient merchant skill that is not GM.

Xfing
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Xfing » 23 May 2014, 06:04

Thanks for the info! I had no idea everyone was referring to MM9. Haha.

Return to “Might and Magic”