might & magic 7 artifact questions

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
kurac
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

might & magic 7 artifact questions

Unread postby kurac » 30 Apr 2014, 18:24

yay.

1) in my playthroughs i noticed chests in titan stronghold sometimes holding artifacts, sometimes not. now, i know they wont spawn any if the limit is exceeded. but for example now i have only 2 artifacts (ullyses from emerald isle and yoruba from tatalia), yet the chests in titan stronghold are only creating artifacts about 1/3 of the time, so wtf? i have an invisibility scroll so with a lot of saving and loading i can check the entire place and all chests but nothing.

2) can every chest in stronghold generate an artifact or not? i noticed only two doing that, the south chest in the eastern-most room with titans and the huge central room north from the circle one.

3) can the map spawn more than one artifact at the same time?

4) same questions but for the lincoln :)

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 30 Apr 2014, 18:56

Artefacts spawning from chests, eh? Never saw that happen to me. Almost all my artefacts and relics are from the very first dragon in Emerald Island (after a good portion of save and load). But I don't recall ever getting one in a chest in that place. So, I just kill the dragons to try some more luck, as long as I'm patient to get some more artefacts.
"There’s nothing to fear but fear itself and maybe some mild to moderate jellification of bones." Cave Johnson, Portal 2. :panda:

kurac
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby kurac » 30 Apr 2014, 19:11

heh no wonder you dont get artifacts from titans stronghold when you loot the emerald isle dragon till you hit the limit :P but yeah, i just got ania selving after wandering the titans stronghold for 3~4 hours :| wanted charele, but okay, this will do fine :proud:

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 30 Apr 2014, 20:45

Limit? :| Which is...?

Anya is quite good. Right now I have Charelle, that Yoruba, a Chain Armor and Leather Armor (Don't remember their names exactly, I think the latter is Governor's Armor), 2 swords (one which looks like a cutlass, the other is more like a straight 2-edge-blade one), The Ulysses and some other things I cannot recall at the moment. I might have 5 or 6 relics, which I never find as nice as I consider artefacts. 2 of those are shields, there's a hammer, a one handed axe, a belt...and...dunno what else.
"There’s nothing to fear but fear itself and maybe some mild to moderate jellification of bones." Cave Johnson, Portal 2. :panda:

kurac
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby kurac » 30 Apr 2014, 21:33

Panda Tar wrote:Limit? :| Which is...?

Anya is quite good. Right now I have Charelle, that Yoruba, a Chain Armor and Leather Armor (Don't remember their names exactly, I think the latter is Governor's Armor), 2 swords (one which looks like a cutlass, the other is more like a straight 2-edge-blade one), The Ulysses and some other things I cannot recall at the moment. I might have 5 or 6 relics, which I never find as nice as I consider artefacts. 2 of those are shields, there's a hammer, a one handed axe, a belt...and...dunno what else.
not sure, but its about 15 or so...after that you can loot the corpse for hours and wont get any more :( i learned that the hard way :P

and anya is cute, i put it on a knight just so he would stop missing everything...that noob :S

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 30 Apr 2014, 22:09

Hum...have you tried looting while keeping artefacts you already have on the ground?

hellegennes
Succubus
Succubus

Unread postby hellegennes » 30 Apr 2014, 23:45

That doesn't matter. Selling them also doesn't matter. Once an artifact is generated, it counts towards the limit, no matter what you do with it.

Bloax
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Bloax » 01 May 2014, 07:51

The best part is that if an artifact is actually generated in a chest - but there's not enough room for it in the chest (and thus it doesn't appear in it), it still counts towards that limit.

kurac
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby kurac » 01 May 2014, 10:36

Bloax wrote:The best part is that if an artifact is actually generated in a chest - but there's not enough room for it in the chest (and thus it doesn't appear in it), it still counts towards that limit.
this actually answers my first question :( so basically its not that artifacts werent in the chest...its just that they couldnt be seen there...crap. oh well, at least i reloaded till i got that ania...

the beavers1
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby the beavers1 » 01 May 2014, 13:53

kurac wrote:
Bloax wrote:The best part is that if an artifact is actually generated in a chest - but there's not enough room for it in the chest (and thus it doesn't appear in it), it still counts towards that limit.
this actually answers my first question :( so basically its not that artifacts werent in the chest...its just that they couldnt be seen there...crap. oh well, at least i reloaded till i got that ania...
Actually if you don't see the artifacts in the chest, or if the chest is full in general, open it up again ;|

Edit: After clearing it of course
"Rot in Hell You Penny Pinching Miser!"

kurac
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby kurac » 01 May 2014, 14:07

the beavers1 wrote:
kurac wrote:
Actually if you don't see the artifacts in the chest, or if the chest is full in general, open it up again ;|

Edit: After clearing it of course
okay now im completely confused :S for example when i played mm8, i tried to open the chest with eclipse shield, and sometimes it happened that it wasnt there even though i reclicked the chest. so how does it sometimes simply disappear even though other stuff is there when i reopen it? maybe its different for mm8 ooor?

i hate bugs :S

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 01 May 2014, 23:25

Perhaps it's still there. After there's room in the chest, it'll appear, which would explain why it'd count for the limit number.

the beavers1
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby the beavers1 » 02 May 2014, 01:14

Edit: After clearing it of course[/quote]

okay now im completely confused :S for example when i played mm8, i tried to open the chest with eclipse shield, and sometimes it happened that it wasnt there even though i reclicked the chest. so how does it sometimes simply disappear even though other stuff is there when i reopen it? maybe its different for mm8 ooor?

i hate bugs :S[/quote]

Actually what I mean is that chests can be opened multiple times and looted before actually running out of loot. Many of the big chests in the game are like that. For instance lets say you open a chest and its full of gold. You grab all the gold, then close the chest. Reopen the chest and its full of gold and items again cause it didnt have enough space in the interface to display all the goodies.

Xfing
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Xfing » 02 May 2014, 10:28

I wanted to make a separate thread for this question, but might as well ask it here: is the limit still on in MM8? I have read some people stating that the limit in that game is actually lifted, but after you get a certain number of artifacts, it becomes much harder to get new ones.

Myself, I've completed the game around 50 times and can't recall EVER getting a new randomly generated artifact after hitting the "no more artifact wall". And I'm really missing the Supreme Plate and the Guardian for my knight...

My lich lucked out, though: Last Stage Cuirass, Crown of the Final Dominion and the Staff of Elements - the perfect setup for your lich if I do say so :P

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 02 May 2014, 12:05

Well, perhaps each artefact in MM8 has a chance to pop up individually, instead of all of them being treated as 'artefact spawn' – as a collection. So, as you gather more and more, the less you'll have for spawning. I'm going to play MM8 all again, but I'm not sure of which characters to play with.

kurac
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby kurac » 02 May 2014, 12:46

okay that one i can answer with 100% certainty from personal experience:

there is NO limit in mm8 and you can get all the artifacts. here are some of the ways to miss them:

1) there are hidden chests containing artifacts, like the tree in ravenshore, fortress wall in alvar, or the rock in ironsand. once you enter the map, they are generated and are probably still there.

2) dragon cave in garriote gorge spawns a few artifacts when you enter it the first time. but since you are usually low as fuck when you enter it, you cant cant invisibility and steal them, you usually just take the dragon recruit and go away. the problem is that the map respawns after only 6 months, in which case the artifacts are lost and you can NEVER get them again, apart from savegame hacking. my advice for game start ravenshore --> alvar --> buy books of tp and invisibility --> get cauri in murmurwoods, and only THEN go to garriote gorge where you will be able to search the damn cave. dont waste time on the fly book because you can just use the quickspell glitch to fly right from the game start.

3) if the maps from case #1 respawn (2 years i think), artifacts are again lost. now, this one i dont know from experience cause i loot those without problems, so never had the map expire on me.

the beavers1
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby the beavers1 » 02 May 2014, 13:48

There must be an artifact limit, there are quite a few artifact/relic chests in the game that guarantee an artifact unless of course you hit that wall, Ive done it. However there are a lot of hand placed artifacts that could potentially go over the limit

Xfing
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Xfing » 02 May 2014, 14:31

That actually makes sense. The artifact appears the first time you enter a map and you've only got 6 months to loot it before it disappears for good. That's why I have never been able to loot all of the artifacts - some of them just got lost forever due to me neglecting to pick them up.

For example - enter Alvar and you've got time until the map respawns to pick up whatever artifact spawns in the hidden chest in the back wall of the Ogre Fortress, lest you want to have -1 artifacts forever. Similarly with Ironsand Desert's hidden rock or the crate in Ravage Roaming.

By the time I got to the Elemental Planes, many artifacts and relics were already lost due to me neglecting them, so I got none from the chests. That must be why I was never able to get them all. Even though there is no artifact cap in this game, this mechanic is as good as one.

Tell me one thing, though: do the artifacts inside dungeons spawn once you enter the dungeon itself or the world area? Like Garotte Gorge for the Dragon Caves?

kurac
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby kurac » 02 May 2014, 14:46

Xfing wrote:That actually makes sense. The artifact appears the first time you enter a map and you've only got 6 months to loot it before it disappears for good. That's why I have never been able to loot all of the artifacts - some of them just got lost forever due to me neglecting to pick them up.

For example - enter Alvar and you've got time until the map respawns to pick up whatever artifact spawns in the hidden chest in the back wall of the Ogre Fortress, lest you want to have -1 artifacts forever. Similarly with Ironsand Desert's hidden rock or the crate in Ravage Roaming.

By the time I got to the Elemental Planes, many artifacts and relics were already lost due to me neglecting them, so I got none from the chests. That must be why I was never able to get them all. Even though there is no artifact cap in this game, this mechanic is as good as one.

Tell me one thing, though: do the artifacts inside dungeons spawn once you enter the dungeon itself or the world area? Like Garotte Gorge for the Dragon Caves?
most maps actually have a 2 years respawn limit and its very hard to miss them since you have 2 years to do so :P also in the harder maps, like elemental places, avoid them altogether so they dont spawn! i mean wtf were you doing in those maps in the first place :D

artifacts get generated when you enter a specific map, for example not when you enter garriote gorge, but when you enter dragon cave itself. same goes for the castles in elemental planes, that fire passage in ironsand etc. the only exception ive found to this was the artifact in ravage roaming (not the one in the zogs fortress box, but the dead pirates one), it appears to spawn before you enter the place, maybe when you trigger that quest or whatever. also i noticed that in my playthroughs it always was that cutlass...maybe its fixed idk.

and yes, some hand-put artifacts respawn when the maps do, so you can for example have 5 noblebone bows, or in mm7 4 x hermes' sandals

edit: i know about the dead pirates artifact spawning before you enter it because i looted some dragon literally for HOURS for it (and it was the last artifact i could get), and i didnt get it. eventually i realized that might be the place to look for it.

Xfing
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Xfing » 17 May 2014, 18:11

All pre-placed artifacts respawn with the map. Noblebone bow (that one's actually weird, as it behaves like artifacts from MM7 which you can't sell even though you need to identify them and they do have value), Terminus, Snake, J-Measure.

But for example once you enter Alvar the first time, you must recover the artifact from the Ogre Fortress hidden chest, or you'll have one less artifact. I never actually paid much heed to that, but on my next playthrough I'm totally gonna keep track of it and I should finally have all the artifacts and relics!

Return to “Might and Magic”