How hard would it be to import MM8 paperdolls+armors to MM7?

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
Echo
Demon
Demon

How hard would it be to import MM8 paperdolls+armors to MM7?

Unread postby Echo » 27 Apr 2014, 14:49

Basically what the name says. I know it surely can't be done by simply replacing the files, but is there a reasonable way to make it work? MM7 paperdolls are kind of... odd, anatomically. And the pants-including MM8 armors also look way better ;|

Possible/impossible?

jeff

Unread postby jeff » 27 Apr 2014, 18:16

The paper dolls I don't know; however the creatures were moved between 6, 7 and 8. BDJ did that in his mods. Vladimir-maestro should know about the dolls if you contact him.
Mala Ipsa Nova :bugsquash:

zalunaya
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby zalunaya » 03 May 2014, 23:08

Looks like it'd be lots of editing in Gimp or Photoshop to get them the right shape. Would need to edit them to match the outlines of the MM7 versions.

Vladimir, I think, used Poser 3D to pose some models in the correct position, screencap, then edit out the background. Same with faces, it's probably a little easier than making so many accurate 2D images (but still very time consuming).

Echo
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Echo » 04 May 2014, 17:26

Hm, I actually meant a simple MM8 to MM7 import. Paperdolls and armor, not doing anything new. I find that raw 3D art not really fitting the rest of MM, I know they used 3D models too (at least for the faces and NPC portraits {in MM7 only, 6 seemed to be drawn), but they made them look more 2D still. I definitely wouldn't want to draw/model new content, I don't have nearly enough time, but I wondered if a simple import/replacement was possible.

I'm not sure what you mean by the outlines, but the problem I've encountered when I tried to brute force change them, was that the coordinates simply didn't fit. Meaning a hand wouldn't be attached to the body etc.

The long way could, possibly, be adding the blank space in the files manipulating the position of the parts that way, but that seems like a huge hassle. That's why I asked if there maybe was some smarter way. Editing some coordinates or something. I've no clue :disagree:

zalunaya
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby zalunaya » 19 May 2014, 22:52

Tested it out a bit, not with MM8 armor, but it would probably end up being the same work.

...A lot of image editing, unfortunately. It does take time. Paste new armor onto the old armor (colors need to roughly match due to palette), re-shape the outlines just right so they fit the bodies, make sure the proportions look OK, then make sure the sleeves match (or if getting tired, just leave the default sleeves).

Something like this...the gold trim is left from MM7 original armor.

Edit: Didn't know you wanted poses. Has to wait until I actually install MM8.
Last edited by zalunaya on 24 May 2014, 22:59, edited 1 time in total.

Echo
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Echo » 20 May 2014, 00:36

Actually I'm pretty certain you don't need to edit any palette when it comes to all things inventory - they matter only for bitmaps and sprites. I've changed countless inventory items without issue, including the paperdolls, never once touching a palette. Same with the interface :)

Also the thing is, I wanted to import the paperdolls from MM8 into MM7 alongside the armors. I think the poses are just so much better in MM8. That means no image editing per se (because I'd just trash the MM7 poses and armors), but it might simply not be possible due to positioning of arms, legs and generally everything. That's the reason I've asked if anyone knows if it could be done.

Either way, I have run out of time to mess around MMs for now. I keep tabs on the topic though, as in the future I'd probably like to change it :creative:

Xfing
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Xfing » 22 May 2014, 09:48

Much easier to import weapons, shields, gloves and rings. Those items interact with the paperdoll in the same way in MM7 and MM8, I think. I can't imagine how you'd even manage armors, boots and such.

Echo
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Echo » 24 May 2014, 18:03

It's not a problem to import those non-morphing things, I've done it before: viewtopic.php?t=14593

I've written somewhere above my only idea about how to do it with armors, but I'm waiting patiently, maybe someone smart will have a better idea one day ;|

zalunaya
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby zalunaya » 27 May 2014, 21:50

Now that I have MM8 installed: a quick mash-up of one option:

Done on human, female, normal shape since that's what you had modded before.

-Kept original arm positionings. It is a funky thing to edit, plus that was you don't have to edit EVERY weapon in the game to match positioning. Right "hand" erased - 2H weapons appear as 1H held. It matches the pose pretty well, and again, cuts down on extra editing.

-Armor may need to be positioned a few more pixels to the right, but it is close enough as an example.

-Boots were a hassle, but they're pretty much positioned.

-Head was flipped horizontally to match the helmet spot better.

My template .BMP files, if you are interested in this method:
http://www.speedyshare.com/RgH3H/Template-BMP-Files.zip

By the way:
Your MM7 mod, I have gone so far as turning to an evil party now. It seems BDJ's mod is not required. :)

Echo
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Echo » 27 May 2014, 23:10

Not bad at all ^^ Saved the file for the time when I can modify stuff again! Cloaks would need some magic as I see for sure, but there's not that many of them, so it might be doable without too much hassle.

Ye, I suppose this mod can work without BDJ's as it doesn't touch on events at all. I don't remember the other thing BDJ's mod changed, but shouldn't be conflicting. Nice to see it confirmed :)

Return to “Might and Magic”