Might & Magic X: Character Races?

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).

What playable races would you like to see in M&MX?

Angel
11%
Dark Elf
15%
Dragon
11%
Dwarf
13%
Genie
9%
Goblin
2%
Jackal
5%
Lizardman
15%
Minotaur
4%
Orc / Half-Orc
9%
Sprite
7%

Total votes: 55

MMXAlamar
Hunter
Hunter

Might & Magic X: Character Races?

Unread postby MMXAlamar » 16 Sep 2011, 01:32

The question is: "What playable races would you like to see in M&MX?"Human and elf are the only mandatory races which won't be voted on.

Since you can only vote for one option, please post your additional comments, thoughts, and suggestions here!

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 16 Sep 2011, 02:53

:oex: Wheeee, first to vote! :proudirule:

Ahem.

I'm kinda interested on how a Genie hero would evolve in the game. If they float (not having legs, so no boots to equip), if they are unsubstantial, good intelligence (affinity with magic), characteristics, you see. :)

There's something I'd like to point out:
  • Is this Jackal a sort of Gnoll?
There are suggestions/enquires I'd like to make:
  • Nagas?
    Mermaid/man?
    Medusa?
    Rakshasa? (man with a lion's face, hindu)
    Vampire?
    Efreet? (as opposition to genies)
    Faceless?
    Demon? (given you show the prospect of having angels)
I'd like to explain some of those suggestions and suggest something about others:
  • Medusa: mainly because you offered the ideas of having some beasts as heroes, as I can see with minotaurs, lizardmen, genie, orc, dragon...
    Rakshasa: dunno if there will be some hindu-based units in the game, but you can take the example of rakshasa raja (male rakshasa) from Heroes 5? :D
    Vampire: I missed an undead in your team. I suppose there could have lich as well. Vampires are intelligent, so they might fit as heroes, and you can also implement day/night features on that hero (werewolf...?).
    Efreets and Faceless (or demons): I'd point out that you can actually have opposite races in the same team. This could make some interesting discussion on whether synergies between them would suffer penalties. Like a genie casting a spell on his fellow efreet, where the spell effect would be weaker than the genie casting a spell over a human.
DRAGON
On some mythologies, dragons are incredibly wise and old. The older they get, the wiser, and some develop the ability to cast a spell. Given this background, you can make some Grand Master spells only available by learning from a Dragon NPC, under some circumstances, as if defeating it as in a boss fight. That's a suggestion to help with that learn-spell issue. You can see some different dragons in Heroes 6 art concepts, so they can even be tied to Magic Schools. :creative:

That's all I can remember now.
"There’s nothing to fear but fear itself and maybe some mild to moderate jellification of bones." Cave Johnson, Portal 2. :panda:

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 16 Sep 2011, 03:51

Lizardmen sound nice, given that they were given quite a bit of exposure in MM8 and Sea of Mist, so it won't be unusual. Plus, fortress troops, everyone likes those! :D

Dwarves are an obvious thing, too, although they should be Might-oriented, I'd think. Perhaps some skills could depend on the race, and the others on the class? And while we're at it, how about halflings?

I don't think that sprites would work out so well, but it's hilarious to think that their speciality would be the Curse spell :devil:

Konfuzius
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Konfuzius » 16 Sep 2011, 06:17

Voted for Lizardmen, I always wanted him in my party in MM8 :/
And there won't be a vampire in MMX?

Tress
Succubus
Succubus

Unread postby Tress » 16 Sep 2011, 07:24

I think there shouldn't be extremely exotic races like angels or even dragons(even though they were in mm8, although they were sort of secret characters there). Race should be humanoid and not what d&d considers monster races. More intellectual lizardman like npc in mm8 or aragornians of TES is fine, but hydra with head in each PC portrait slot and 1 more when one is killed in NPC slot is bit of an overkill.
Sure some exotic races are fine and add to game, but that should be held in good measure. I think wizardry 8 and D W Bradley's W&W kept that in good balance.
For myself voted Dark elf but with efforts of R A Salvatore and lately blizard that dark skinned elves becomes so cliché that I am not sure.

MMXAlamar
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby MMXAlamar » 16 Sep 2011, 11:21

This is essentially what the Jackal is:

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 16 Sep 2011, 12:29

Konfuzius wrote:Voted for Lizardmen, I always wanted him in my party in MM8 :/
No you didn't. I voted for them, and there currently is one vote for them, so something's not right here. :P

Gharik
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Gharik » 16 Sep 2011, 12:57

If there's gonna be a limit to how many races can fit in the entire game, that'd be nice to know >.>

If nothing else I'd like to see dragons again XD

vladimir-maestro
Genie
Genie

Re: Might & Magic X: Character Races?

Unread postby vladimir-maestro » 17 Sep 2011, 04:42

MMXAlamar wrote:Lizardmen
:|
you'll better to seek another race cause lizardmen already in use in mm8,5 as witch doctor class

ImageImage

voted for "sprites" wanted to add them to mm8,5 but team decide to add druids instead with the same role as all magic users but human race.
Last edited by vladimir-maestro on 17 Sep 2011, 18:03, edited 1 time in total.
You can contact me here:
maestro_mod@yahoo.com
vladud @ yandex.ru - preferred one
---
Site about MODs: http://www.mmgames.ru
---
if you wish to upload some materials for this site - let me know.

Konfuzius
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Konfuzius » 17 Sep 2011, 04:58

GreatEmerald wrote:
Konfuzius wrote:Voted for Lizardmen, I always wanted him in my party in MM8 :/
No you didn't. I voted for them, and there currently is one vote for them, so something's not right here. :P
I swear... I chose Lizardman and got a positive respond Oo

tolich
Spectre
Spectre

Unread postby tolich » 17 Sep 2011, 05:35

vladimir-maestro wrote:as whitch doctor class
Which witch wished which wicked wish?

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 17 Sep 2011, 10:28

tolich wrote:Which witch wished which wicked wish?
He obviously meant a white witch. :devious:

Macros the Black
Druid
Druid

Unread postby Macros the Black » 17 Sep 2011, 11:10

I voted Lizardmen. I actually like Goblins better, but they're already in MM7 so I would rather go with something new. But I wouldn't mind if Goblins and/or Minotaurs returned as playable races.

Personally I don't like the standard fare (aside from humans, which obviously have to be in). So no elves, dark elves, dwarves, orcs, half-orcs for me. Especially no half-orcs or half-anything for that matter. And Sprites sound like a bad idea... Also no Dragons please :)

Now that I've seen what you meant with Jackal, I would have voted for that. I'm intrigued to find out more about them.

Angels I'm not sure about, but I'm willing to try them out. Genies should be fun.
You'd think Darkmoor was a ghost town, but instead there's plenty of life among the dead.

Daerandin
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Daerandin » 17 Sep 2011, 14:20

I voted for dwarves because in my opinion, you GOT to have dwarves. I really consider them to be a stock race for anything fantasy related so I really had no choice but to give them my vote. Besides, I envy them their beards, mine is nowhere near as long, haha.

As for other races, I have to say that I am quite intrigued by having angels as playable race. I would also like to see genies as playable race. So apart from dwarves, angels and genies are my choices. Not sure which one I favor.

Tress
Succubus
Succubus

Unread postby Tress » 17 Sep 2011, 15:29

Problem with extremely exotic races IMO from role playing point of view would be why none gives a damn that your team have some sort of "insert monster here" creature with you. As long as team consist of races that inhibit land it's ok. But unless there is large populations of anubis guards that are on friendly terms with rest of land, it's bit of awkward to say least.
Of course MM series never had strong dialogue option and never showed NPC reactions but still.

Corlagon
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby Corlagon » 17 Sep 2011, 16:16

Would advise again to keep it practical and stick within reasonable means on this subject - don't try to include 20 races and rules for each because you will not get anywhere. When I was on the project, we had settled with Humans, Elves, Minotaurs and Genies at some point, and I thought that was fine, but then I think somebody independently made art for a Lizardman and a Jackal and the dragon from King's Bounty, and the race count just kept on rising meteorically.

If you have to include rarer creatures like Angels or Lizards or Jackals, my advice would be to stick to five or six core races for character creation - just like in the olden days - and implement the hireling system from MM3/8 to include the exotic creatures as "reward" characters (exactly like the Dragons in Jadame). That way you don't have to waste time worrying about severe start-of-game balance concerns and can also create their art assets whenever you get to them, rather than having to rebalance the entire game multiple times to accommodate everything you come up with.

As for the question, you don't include an option for them, but I would vote for the Kreegans. No reason they shouldn't be populous and even maybe popular in Axeoth, considering they were the only ones willing to help Gauldoth save the planet.

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 17 Sep 2011, 16:22

They also funded the Cult of Baa, which gave free healing, so I guess they are not so bad after all.

:devil:

gurthaur
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby gurthaur » 17 Sep 2011, 17:00

Who really voted for Angel anyway? 13 y/o's? I voted for Dark Elf. I was in love with my dark elf girl in MM8.

MMXAlamar
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby MMXAlamar » 19 Sep 2011, 02:39

The reason why there are so many races listed is because all of these races are either present on Axeoth or have come over from Enroth via the Reckoning. There does need to be some pruning. You guys are providing some great feedback for us, so we will be able to smoothen the races situation out!

vladimir-maestro
Genie
Genie

Unread postby vladimir-maestro » 19 Sep 2011, 05:17

i doubt that varn guardians were on axeoth. we know nothing about varn ships there.

+ there are no lizardmen - on axeoth are orc-lizards :D

+ you forgoten about gazempts (some kinds of magical satyr that exact name i do remember) :devious:
You can contact me here:
maestro_mod@yahoo.com
vladud @ yandex.ru - preferred one
---
Site about MODs: http://www.mmgames.ru
---
if you wish to upload some materials for this site - let me know.

Return to “Might and Magic”