MM8,5 - Echo of Destruction

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
vladimir-maestro
Genie
Genie

MM8,5 - Echo of Destruction

Unread postby vladimir-maestro » 15 Jun 2011, 15:58

Now we got a face and name:

now our MOD called "Echo of Destruction" and won't be completed with destruction of the Escaton's crystal.

Heroes will face aftershocks of the destruction that will echo over whole Planet and cause new cathaclisms never seen before by mortals eyes.
Last edited by vladimir-maestro on 26 Dec 2011, 20:33, edited 1 time in total.
You can contact me here:
maestro_mod@yahoo.com
vladud @ yandex.ru - preferred one
---
Site about MODs: http://www.mmgames.ru
---
if you wish to upload some materials for this site - let me know.

jeff

Unread postby jeff » 15 Jun 2011, 16:07

That is very nice and with today's computers the addition of such animations should have minimal effect on system performance.
Mala Ipsa Nova :bugsquash:

vladimir-maestro
Genie
Genie

Unread postby vladimir-maestro » 15 Jun 2011, 16:10

yes it is! as grayface told - we could upgrade LOD files till 2 Gb size without any slowdown in perfomance.

the one best effect of that animated trees - you cannot see a monsters come to you behind them cause and monsters and trees moves =) they will confuse you alittle :devil:
+ other effect - less statics and wind presence ;)
You can contact me here:
maestro_mod@yahoo.com
---
---

jeff

Unread postby jeff » 15 Jun 2011, 16:17

If you could have the wind effect the archer's accuracy; then you would really mix it up. :D
Mala Ipsa Nova :bugsquash:

BMJedi
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby BMJedi » 15 Jun 2011, 16:31

Is this something we can download and install, or is it a work in progress? I'd love to have a mod.

I noticed that the water was shimmering as well as the trees waving.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke, "Clarke's Third Law".

vladimir-maestro
Genie
Genie

Unread postby vladimir-maestro » 15 Jun 2011, 18:42

BMJedi wrote:Is this something we can download and install, or is it a work in progress?
work in progress. i've done only with palm trees.
You can contact me here:
maestro_mod@yahoo.com
---
---

BMJedi
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby BMJedi » 15 Jun 2011, 21:00

Fantastic, Maestro! I hope maybe you will be able to make a mod from your expertise.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke, "Clarke's Third Law".

vladimir-maestro
Genie
Genie

Unread postby vladimir-maestro » 16 Jun 2011, 08:00

no more restrictions for 50 palettes per map - now they could be unlimited.

also MM supports bigger tilesets! from 128 -> 256!

just compare the water http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0q-u4gn1Ig
---
maybe not the last variation of water
You can contact me here:
maestro_mod@yahoo.com
---
---

unknownone
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby unknownone » 16 Jun 2011, 22:24

Great!!!
the animation looks good! One thing: can't you make the animation so it doesn't appear as the same square is repeating everywere in the sea? Maybe having less marked borders or smoother animated transition
I've played and enjoyed many RPGs:
MM6,MM7,MM8,MM9, Fallout 1&2, Planescape Torment, Torment: ToN, TES3, TES4

MMXAlamar
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby MMXAlamar » 16 Jun 2011, 23:21

Fuck, that looks amazing! Well done grayface!

I'm not too thrilled about the water, but the trees are fantastic! It makes the game seem much more lifelike.

vladimir-maestro
Genie
Genie

Unread postby vladimir-maestro » 17 Jun 2011, 06:17

unknownone wrote:Great!!!
the animation looks good! One thing: can't you make the animation so it doesn't appear as the same square is repeating everywere in the sea? Maybe having less marked borders or smoother animated transition
i've tried 512 textures but they looks very distortion, mm doesn't have any smoothing algorithms. so you could play only at acceleration with them + streached screen.

here is 512 grass

here is 256 grass

pay attension that it is JPEG that smooth a picture! in real game you can get your eyes hurt with 512 textures at far distances!
You can contact me here:
maestro_mod@yahoo.com
---
---

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 17 Jun 2011, 11:11

Well, the trees are nice. Reminds me of the animated trees in WoG. The water doesn't tile together that well - maybe it's a better idea if you kept the style of there being small waves, but changed the base texture?

Yea, it's too bad they use the nearest neighbour resize method for displaying far away objects instead of using bilinear or anisotropic filtering. It would be awesome if we could have things like S3TC textures here, like in Unreal. Too bad that even these days people don't use S3TC textures and instead go for cheap effects like bloom.

gunman
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby gunman » 19 Jun 2011, 19:04

The tree animation is fantastic! Can't you release a patch only with this enhancement ?

vladimir-maestro
Genie
Genie

Unread postby vladimir-maestro » 20 Jun 2011, 14:47

i'm afraid but 8,5 enhanced is a part of new mm8 mod.

i didn't wanted to anounce it cause didn't have anything exept ambitions and ideas in style "what if mm8 could have this or this...".

now we got some material to work with and got something to show...

belive me - you even couldn't imagine that all this is possible in MM8!
i won't tell you much cause we still got difficulties with some tricky things but few you will know:
1) enhanced graphics
2) animated plants
3) reworked units
4) unique unit tier appearance!!! YES! it is possible! single monster tier could be differ now! just look at the buccaniers:
three levels and each level looks it's own way!
5) even unique bosses will be "visible" in a crowd...
6) enhanced storyline and many other things that will stay unrevealed for now.
You can contact me here:
maestro_mod@yahoo.com
---
---

gunman
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby gunman » 20 Jun 2011, 15:32

vladimir-maestro wrote:i'm afraid but 8,5 enhanced is a part of new mm8 mod.
That's too bad. The problem with big mods is the extra content that comes mandatory and not everyone agrees with some changes. For example I don't like the photo-realistic buccaneers that IMO don't fit in the MM8 universe, where all the creatures have a cartoonish appearance.

But if all extra content is optional and can be installed by components, then it is ok.

hatsforclowns
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby hatsforclowns » 20 Jun 2011, 15:59

gunman wrote:
vladimir-maestro wrote:i'm afraid but 8,5 enhanced is a part of new mm8 mod.
That's too bad. The problem with big mods is the extra content that comes mandatory and not everyone agrees with some changes. For example I don't like the photo-realistic buccaneers that IMO don't fit in the MM8 universe, where all the creatures have a cartoonish appearance.

But if all extra content is optional and can be installed by components, then it is ok.
Indeed.

Just because it has simple graphics doesn't mean it has bad graphics. I also quite like the style of MM7-8.

Still, pretty damn good job! Especially considering it's probably mostly raw editing of the binary image file and disassembly.

Well gosh, golly, damn and fiddlesticks, jolly good job, ol' chap!

EDIT:

Btw, are there other reasons to why MM projects seem to have a habit of failing? Apart from the projects ending up too ambitious. Are there few programmers among us? Few artists? Or otherwise just busy with projects of their own?

Just curious...

vladimir-maestro
Genie
Genie

Unread postby vladimir-maestro » 20 Jun 2011, 16:33

gunman wrote:
actually this "creature enhansment" based only on 1 TXT file only...so if you will replace it - you will get old one monsters...

...but what to do with new creatures that were added to old ones and not replaced? with this option off they will be invisible and unkillable with melee... or still use realistic graphics.

---

what other extra content you mean? we planning alot of extra content but it is no use to make it all "optional".

4 example: if you won't install animated trees - you can have troubles with events that based on these trees...so you cannot enter certain areas and complete the game... creatures trouble i've described above - invisible monsters... spells could ruin the game each time you open enhanced spellbook or read changed spells...etc.

it is a modiffication and it should be solid and gathered together butnot splited in pieces.
You can contact me here:
maestro_mod@yahoo.com
---
---

gunman
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby gunman » 20 Jun 2011, 16:44

Yes, I understand your view and I don't try to convince you otherwise.

I was hoping it was possible to add to my game only the animated trees.

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 20 Jun 2011, 20:47

gunman wrote:The problem with big mods is the extra content that comes mandatory and not everyone agrees with some changes. For example I don't like the photo-realistic buccaneers that IMO don't fit in the MM8 universe, where all the creatures have a cartoonish appearance.
Not 'cartoonish'. It's actually closer to 'perfect render'. Cartoonish is WH2K/WoW/H5. The renders in HoMM3/MM7-8 are not hyperrealistic, but are made to look clean and aesthetic. See the portraits and you'll see that it looks just like real, but more perfect. Which then falls in Uncanny Valley that tells you that something's wrong there.

GrayFace
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby GrayFace » 22 Jun 2011, 16:04

hatsforclowns wrote:Still, pretty damn good job! Especially considering it's probably mostly raw editing of the binary image file and disassembly.
Pretty much the opposite. Everything that could be automated was automated. For example, I made a program that names creature cadres properly and adds info about them into SFT.txt file, from which MMExtension makes dsft.bin binary file when the game is run.
My patches: MM6 MM7 MM8. MMExtension. Tools. Also, I love Knytt Stories and Knytt Underground. I'm also known as sergroj.

Return to “Might and Magic”