Expansion HOMM 5

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 29 Aug 2006, 07:35

Trying to apply logic to all aspects of any game is hard. Gameplay balance should always trump logic imho.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Jolly Joker
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Jolly Joker » 29 Aug 2006, 09:55

Okay, some more info about the Dwarven Town:

The special buildings for the Dwarven town will be:
1) A Horde building for level 4;
2) A Horde building for level 5;
3) A Building that allows defending the town in case of an attack with EIGHT stacks instead of 7.
4) A Runic Guild with - you guess it - 3 levels (one for each level of the Rune Magic skill).

Of course the Dwarven town can build a regular mage guild as well.
Rune Magic has no spells, but Runes which don't need Mana, but Ore/Wood to be activated. Runes are basically more creature abilities than spells in the strictest sense, albeit there are things that could be described as spell effects. However, those Rune effects cannot be dispelled, of course.

There will be no Mammoth. True is, the Dwarven town includes a Rider unit on Level THREE (the lowest level LARGE creature in the game then), but they are riding no Mammoths, but some sort of Bears, it seems.

My personal opinion is that the Dwarven town has an incredibly strong and interesting looking line up. Level 2 is a shooter unit, albeit only the upgrade. Level 5 is a caster/shooter unit with additional special. The upgrade is able to shoot at multiple targets (in the way Stone Spikes is cast). Level 6 is a teleporting monster of a unit with even the basic unit dealing additional Lightning damage to creatures adjacent to the one attacked (hand to-hand)- Additional Lightning damage as high as the damage done hand-to-hand to the attacked one, I might add. As if that wasn't enough, the upgrade may use that as a special attack once per game, doing that damage the way you cast a Chain Lightning, but with full damage for all hit targets and with in theory no limit to the number of targets as lomg as there is a chain of adjacent enemy stacks. Of course this unit is immune to Lightning.
Level 7 is a Dragon unit.
So basically there are 4 Dwarven units, one of them being akin to a Druid (on level 5). The Rider unit would be like Dungeon level 4, more creature than Dwarf, with the creature having abilities as well.
I haven't seen any of the units up to now, just read the texts, but I think Nival has done an incredibly good job with this town consisting basically of 6 completely new units with the known unit "Dwarf" being basically the level 1 grunt. The units have lots of cool and interesting abilities and some of them actually influence battle tactics a lot. It will be a very interesting and different to play race there and a true addon.

Lastly, while I think that this town will be a great addition, it's not what makes this addon an outstanding one. The additional town was to be expected, but there is one special feature in this addon that will come as a complete surprise for everyone and will put most of the people their socks off - believe me, this is so.

Eternor
Super Peasant
Super Peasant

Unread postby Eternor » 29 Aug 2006, 10:04

Jolly Joker wrote:The additional town was to be expected, but there is one special feature in this addon that will come as a complete surprise for everyone and will put most of the people their socks off - believe me, this is so.
The Renegade Humans?

Jolly Joker
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Jolly Joker » 29 Aug 2006, 10:24

Renegade Humans? Can you elaborate?

Eternor
Super Peasant
Super Peasant

Unread postby Eternor » 29 Aug 2006, 10:35

According to article in the russian magazine, that I mentioned before, Renegade humans will feature in one of the three campaigns in the expansion.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 29 Aug 2006, 10:48

Jolly Joker wrote: Level 7 is a Dragon unit.
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO..............................

The humanity, the humanity.

But i guess this is what we get for having the Phoenix as a uber-neutral and summoned creature. :disagree:
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Jolly Joker
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Jolly Joker » 29 Aug 2006, 10:56

Well. We have three campaigns in the addon, that's true. They are linked again. Actually you could say, the events are starting immediately AFTER the end of the main game campaign - and they are starting within the Griffin Empire, that's true as well.
However, I can't give away the campaign story here, that would be too much of a spoiler, even though I can safely say - since I've already translated the dialogues - that they story is pretty dark which means the dialogues have a lot of dark wit there.
What would be so special about the fact that the story may include human renegades or something like civil war in the Griffin Empire?
As a sidenote, official announcement for the addon will be tomorrow now.

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 29 Aug 2006, 11:21

well the units sound alright, the proof will of course be in the playing
Human madness is the howl of a child with a shattered heart.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 29 Aug 2006, 11:27

stefan.urlus wrote:well the units sound alright,
Except the lvl7 dragon. That's why i'm against dragon gods. And neutral Phoenixes. :disagree: Oh, and a fire town could have used a damn Efreet in it.

Tysar
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Tysar » 29 Aug 2006, 13:20

uhh, an Efreet would fit perfectly in a dwarven town... <cough>

I was hoping for two towns in the expansion but this one sounds really cool so far. Looking forward to some screens.

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 29 Aug 2006, 13:33

yeah, not sure about another dragon, but will see
Human madness is the howl of a child with a shattered heart.

Jolly Joker
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Jolly Joker » 29 Aug 2006, 13:44

Hmm. If there will be a second addon - which I believe - and if that second addon would feature Nagas and something like a water town, which I can't say at present due to the fact that I have not the slightest idea about what a second addon would feature -, err, don't you think something like yet another Dragon as level 7 would be something of a logical choice? Something like an Ice/Azur Dragon?

Eternor
Super Peasant
Super Peasant

Unread postby Eternor » 29 Aug 2006, 14:17

At least the Fire dragon/Magma dragon looks different than others.

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 29 Aug 2006, 14:19

Logical? perhaps. Unimaginative? you bet. I'd rather see something else. There are more than enough dragons presently.
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

Mytical
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Dragons

Unread postby Mytical » 29 Aug 2006, 14:43

I agree there are enough dragons for the time being. However, if they are going to add another dragon the least they could do is do a different type of dragon. Something like a flightless dragon, or chinese or...something. I am a huge fan of dragons, but the madness does have to stop. Guess it is easier thinking dragon then coming up with different tier 7 creatures.
Warning, may cause confusion, blindness, raising of eybrows, and insanity. Image

Meandor
Blood Fury
Blood Fury

Unread postby Meandor » 29 Aug 2006, 15:18

Eight stacks while defending town is nice. Usually dwarves are famous for their defense so it makes sense lore wise. And gameplay wise it`s something new which is always good.
The additional town was to be expected, but there is one special feature in this addon that will come as a complete surprise for everyone and will put most of the people their socks off - believe me, this is so.
If you are wrong, you`ll suffer :devil:
I can't give away the campaign story here, that would be too much of a spoiler, even though I can safely say - since I've already translated the dialogues - that they story is pretty dark which means the dialogues have a lot of dark wit there.
One question, i know the answear but i`m still curious. Story telling this time is passable or still crap?

Fire dragon? Whyyyyyyyyyy? :( :( :(

Jolly Joker
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Jolly Joker » 29 Aug 2006, 15:32

Difficult to answer.
My personal opinion is, that the ANIMATIONS of the cutscenes are crap. I don't mean the REAL cutscenes where people actually move and such. I mean these strange wavering animations with lots of panning and spell effects and big gestures. All that stuff draws things out and is not really that great to look at. I would prefer unmoving backgrounds mith a little narrated text linking dialogues and so on if those real movie scenes are too expensive to do, which seems to be the case.
Clearly, for me this is hurting the actual story.
Seeing the story and only the story, I think that it has some rather cool dialogues. Very black humor, very dark. Very evil. The story in itself continues the main game story and does it very well, I think.
However, I believe that the way the story is told won't be changed.

Jolly Joker
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Jolly Joker » 29 Aug 2006, 15:35

Meandor wrote:
The additional town was to be expected, but there is one special feature in this addon that will come as a complete surprise for everyone and will put most of the people their socks off - believe me, this is so.
If you are wrong, you`ll suffer :devil:
I think, that the addon is announced tomorrow. I'm really curious myself which features they WILL announce; there are quite a few interesting things.
So let's wait what tomorrow brings.

Darkstroem
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Darkstroem » 29 Aug 2006, 16:35

Hmm... Another dragon. I was hoping (as almost everybody here) for something else, but we'll see.

What kind of dragon is missing so far? We have a green dragon, we have a black dragon. Right, the red dragon! Which colour is associated with fire? Red!

That lightning creature sounds interesting. I'm curious.

Eternor
Super Peasant
Super Peasant

Unread postby Eternor » 29 Aug 2006, 16:56

Some conceptart: http://www.nival.com/skin/homm5/fon_pages.jpg

The image is red because Nival used it as background for their HOMM5 website.
Last edited by Eternor on 29 Aug 2006, 18:21, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Heroes V-VI”