Artefacts

Forum for discussing the Heroic tabletop game
Groovy
Golem
Golem

Artefacts

Unread postby Groovy » 09 Jan 2015, 23:12

Monuments are what artefacts become when used in towns. I'll add some effects once they come to mind.

Groovy
Golem
Golem

Unread postby Groovy » 29 Jan 2015, 06:44

I've been playing around with the concept of faction-themed artefacts. I call them composite artefacts in the PC design, but because the tabletop design doesn't have the concept of relics, I've decided to rename them to relics for the tabletop game.

The idea is that each faction would have a single composite artefact (relic) that would contain the essence of that faction. Members of the faction would be inclined to support the player/unit that is in possession of one of the relic's constituent artefacts, not to mention the relic as a whole. This is done primarily for lore purposes.

A twist is that relics don't use unique artefacts in their composition - some artefacts can be used in multiple relics.

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 04 Feb 2015, 16:14

These Death artefacts are kinda scary.
"There’s nothing to fear but fear itself and maybe some mild to moderate jellification of bones." Cave Johnson, Portal 2. :panda:

Groovy
Golem
Golem

Unread postby Groovy » 04 Feb 2015, 16:18

In effect, or just in appearance?

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 04 Feb 2015, 16:24

The effect. I'm not looking analytically at any picture because they are temporary. :tsup:

Are you documenting all these features as you create or not? It might be a good idea doing something of this sort, or I can editor something like that, as if assembling things for a book. It would also be easier for me to understand certain things so I can help you with opinion or whatever else you happen to need. Because artwork is easier to grasp. Mechanics are not.
"There’s nothing to fear but fear itself and maybe some mild to moderate jellification of bones." Cave Johnson, Portal 2. :panda:

Groovy
Golem
Golem

Unread postby Groovy » 04 Feb 2015, 16:39

Panda Tar wrote:The effect. I'm not looking analytically at any picture because they are temporary. :tsup:
Phew! That's a relief! ;)
Panda Tar wrote:Are you documenting all these features as you create or not? It might be a good idea doing something of this sort, or I can editor something like that, as if assembling things for a book. It would also be easier for me to understand certain things so I can help you with opinion or whatever else you happen to need. Because artwork is easier to grasp. Mechanics are not.
It depends on what you mean by documenting. I have them all in PowerPoint slides, which is where the pictures come from. I also use Excel to keep track of creature and unit combinations, as well as Visio for town dependencies (I'll probably drop Visio as I get the hang of the new faction designs, but I really struggled in the beginning).

I haven't playtested the artefacts yet, so expect them to change for balance reasons. What I have at the moment is what made sense to me from the lore point of view.

You are welcome to add any documentation that you find helpful, even if it's only intended for your own use.

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 04 Feb 2015, 16:56

I mean documented, roughly, like this:

MECHANICS
MOVEMENT
  • Movement defines how many hexes a unit can move on the battlefield, blah, blah, blah
Got it? I mean that you create things and write down what they are, documenting your ideas. This way it's easier to keep track of changes and also to do things like manuals, compendiums or else.

Groovy
Golem
Golem

Unread postby Groovy » 04 Feb 2015, 17:07

If you are talking about documenting game concepts, I haven't done this yet. For example, I've documented how fire and poison work, but I haven't documented the concept of a combat effect on a unit. I just remember how they work, which is all I need for now. It's something I'm definitely going to have to do later. You are welcome to volunteer. B-)

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 04 Feb 2015, 17:15

I can help with that, but I must see what you have written or in mind to do so. That's what I'm asking regarding this documentation. It makes easier to understand many of your posts here too, because sometimes I get simply lost.

Groovy
Golem
Golem

Unread postby Groovy » 04 Feb 2015, 17:19

Don't worry, sometimes I get lost too, without realising it (until stuff doesn't work during playtesting).

I'll email you all the documentation that I have, and then perhaps you can bug me with whatever isn't clear?

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 04 Feb 2015, 17:27

Yeah, that's reasonable. :D

Return to “Tabletop Forum”