MM9 class skills & best team

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
koval321
War Dancer
War Dancer

MM9 class skills & best team

Unread postby koval321 » 31 Oct 2014, 10:51

Classes, appearance and max skills they may get

Team with all useful skills at grandmaster would be in my opinion
Assassin, Ranger, Priest, Mage

Id item Id Monster Repair Disarm Perception (Merchant master)
Ranged: Bow Throwing and Magic Spirit Elemental

Arret
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby Arret » 02 Nov 2014, 01:09

Following the formula from all the previous games works pretty well
Gladiator
Assassin or Gladiator
Druid or Cleric
Mage or Lich

Basically the whole game feels balanced around two things, Elemental Magic (town portal, fleet foot, chain lightning, and poison cloud) and multiple attacks. GM merchant isn't really all that useful and all you get from a Ranger is 3 guaranteed attacks with your bow.

Gladiator is an obvious choice with 6 attacks (2 spears + GM armsmaster) and pretty easy promotion (the first one is harder than the second one honestly). The Assassin is nice, but really only starts dealing massive damage with GM blade pushed past level 15; thankfully finding artifact daggers is really easy with 1 guaranteed during the promotion quest. You can get your two melee based characters promoted fast (even level 1 if you want to grind it out).

You need one of the healer types for GM spirit. Druids have Unarmed/Dodging GM but you lose out on shield, light magic, and bow (Clerics can use everstrike with master bow). Both take about the same effort to promote. Druids have to run through a pile of yeti and Clerics have to clear out a whole dungeon. Once you get the promotion for either you have Master Elemental and can now town portal effectively.

You need one of the caster types for elemental because of how powerful Chain Lightning and Poison Cloud get at GM. Chain lightning destroys entire rooms with a few casts, and Poison Cloud (if you move your head down) can get caught on the floor and keep ticking until it dissipates. I usually see poison cloud do 600-900 damage per cast once you really get the skill points going. Mage is easier to promote (you can do it around level 10 with the poison cloud hireling and the Lich Lab is HARD), but you lose out on Master Merchant and are limited to expert dark magic. Once you get the lich he really just destroys everything.

Just for kicks I ran Mage/Mage/Lich/Lich once and once I got the Mage promotion, the entire game was trivial. I think I ended up at eligible for level 400 on training due to how learning was calculated at GM.

Return to “Might and Magic”