Storyline question about MM3 and MM7

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
UndeadHalfOrc
Cyber Zombie
Cyber Zombie

Storyline question about MM3 and MM7

Unread postby UndeadHalfOrc » 30 Mar 2010, 01:49

Now I haven't started playing MM3 yet so please don't spoil me too much, but are Tolberti and Robert the Wise (the blaster guys who can eradicate you) in MM3?

The other 6 "advisor" characters in MM7 are the MM3 starting characters, so I assumed Tolberti and Robert the Wise are encountered later on in MM3 as hirelings, but I found nothing in MM3 FAQs everywhere. Were they simply created just for MM7?

Corlagon
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby Corlagon » 30 Mar 2010, 15:05

They are indeed in MM3 as hirelings - you can get them 5 minutes after starting the game, in the Adventurer's Inn. However, while their visual appearance is identical between MM3 and 7, their names aren't - in MM3, Tolberti is Allan Bow, and Robert is Fineous.

tolich
Spectre
Spectre

Unread postby tolich » 30 Mar 2010, 16:22

The alignment is also different. Allan Bow is Good. Robert is Neutral.

UndeadHalfOrc
Cyber Zombie
Cyber Zombie

Unread postby UndeadHalfOrc » 30 Mar 2010, 18:28

Well true, they are somewhat similar in appearance to their MM7 counterparts...

Maybe they renamed them because Allan Bow sounds really silly, and Fineous was the name given to a barbarian in HoMM2. Who knows. NWC have been known to rename their heroes many times. Resurrectra herself could be argued to be Vatawna in HoMM1 and HoMM2. Crag Hack was a human knight in MM1 and then a dwarf barbarian in MM3.

As for alignment... correct, they are wrong. And with that said, Kastore is neutral in MM3 while clearly evil in MM7 (he kills some of his former necromancer allies, and summarily executes a goblin servant in the MM7 evil ending just to try out his new weapon)

I guess good and neutral people can turn evil, and neutral people can turn good. :)
So when all said and done, the good guys had the paladin, barbarian, cleric, and druid while the bad guys had the knight, thief, sorcerer and archer.

Now, the next mystery to be solved is: why did NWC remove Arturus the Knight (default Paladin in World of Xeen) from HoMM1 to HoMM2 ?
And why also remove Lord Haart from HoMM2 when they clearly needed him in the campaign so they took Sir Gallant's portrait instead? Only JVC knows. I need to get ahold of his email. I really need to talk to this guy. He designed so many wonderful games.

Corlagon
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby Corlagon » 30 Mar 2010, 19:45

Now I'm not sure, but I think I heard somewhere that the names Tolberti and Robert were included in one of the later obscure ports of MM3... I can't even begin to confirm that though.

Vatawna is Vatawna (there's a Vatawna in MM4/5 if I recall).

Crag Hack was one of JVC's old roleplay characters from before MM1. He liked to try and sneak the name into every game he could and still maintain continuity.

As for Kastore, well he (and the good advisors) kill a lot more people and monsters in MM3 than he does in MM7 :)

Talin_Trollbane
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Talin_Trollbane » 31 Mar 2010, 15:51

plus time and the possibility of unopposed conquest of a planet can change a mans morality.
Ultima, Elder Scrolls and Might and Magic Veteran.

Xfing
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Xfing » 20 Sep 2014, 23:52

Yeah, just playing MM3 and this is something I've been wondering about - Allan Bow (Tolberti) was supposed to be good, while he's with the bad guys in MM7. Did he really do a 180, or could he simply have liked Kastore & co better? His dialogue in MM7 doesn't betray any malice or evil - to be perfectly honest, neither does Maximus' or Dark Shade's. Only Kastore is clearly shown to be warped and power-hungry.

Return to “Might and Magic”