Might and Magic X

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
Pitsu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Pitsu » 20 Apr 2014, 14:45

One more question i have: how comes that my orc hunter who is grandmaster in endurance has roughly only half of the hitpoints of an ordinary goblin? :p

Avonu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Avonu » 20 Apr 2014, 17:48

No HPs and MPs during level ups. :P

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 23 Apr 2014, 21:28

hellegennes wrote: Before you open the door, make sure you have cleared everything else. Then, cast all your protective spells; everything you have. Celestial armour is important, so are light ward, stone skin and liquid membrane. If you have scrolls of any of these, use it before opening the door. Don't approach at all. It's better if you cast spells from afar. If you have searing rune (it's a fire spell), use it as much as you can. Fire is pretty effective against him. After that, you just need to pay attention to healing. It's preferable if you use the regen spell than wasting your turns with potions, unless you have no other choice.

The spells that I found to be the most effective were thunderstorm, blizzard, searing rune and fireblast. Searing rune is a must. Don't let light ward lapse. At the very least, you need arcane ward.

If you have enough good spells (fire, air and water) and have given your magic users enough magic points you have to mainly rely on them. If your non magic users are strong enough, you can try engaging him in close combat. I think you cannot use skull crack because it's mind-related and bosses are immune to that.
You might have noticed that all your talking was almost focused on spell casting. An only might company, what do they do? I ended up facing Caindale (which rhymes with 'restart your game if you don't have the right skills to face me-dale') with a Bladewaddler (forgot what the name is), Rune Lord, Paladin and Ward. Given that I was sucked away from the world by this DLC triggering system, and naively wasn't expecting it to deprive my team from items, so I continued playing quite cheerfully. Then we had no good items. My fighters were doomed. Their damage went too low. Some of my GM would-be skills weren't GMed yet. So, I was sort of screwed. While Paladin only could resurrect and heal sometimes, my only powerful damage dealer was the Rune Lord, by spellcasting. Perrin was almost impossible to beat, given I couldn't take advantage of the Fire Rune.

And after 3 hours of different strategies and such, I couldn't defeat the unexpected randomness of Caindale's behaviour. He would be nice to me as only to do physical damage for many turns - or he would spam ray light and cure all the time. The only thing I managed to avoid was getting asleep. Well, if you don't consider dying a form of sleep.

Even casting all protective enchantments, buffs and some local prayers, I couldn't beat him. One way or the other, my potions started to run out and he would simply say at my face: Take this cure! And this ray light! And this fart! You cannot beat me, little panda, you are powerless!

And then I restarted the game.

Now I have a Paladin, Rune Lord, Druid and Freemage. Aside some difficulties opening secret passages, it's so easier having a more magic oriented team, that I cannot help but wonder how a might oriented party beats this game.
"There’s nothing to fear but fear itself and maybe some mild to moderate jellification of bones." Cave Johnson, Portal 2. :panda:

hellegennes
Succubus
Succubus

Unread postby hellegennes » 24 Apr 2014, 21:47

Well, I have started a new game now that I finished it and went for a more might oriented party. I don't know how well it will go, but I can tell you this: it's a might and magic game, you are not supposed to not balance might and magic. It's the basic premise of the series. Robbing you of your weapons was a bit cheap, but I am sure there is a good strategy that applies to Caindale with a might oriented party.

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 24 Apr 2014, 22:55

I hope you're right.

Caindale could be vulnerable to Skull Crush, for example, which he is not, as all bosses. Unless your team has some strong resistance to light and somehow never gets killed (for who would resurrect them?), I really don't know how that would be possible. Not to mention Perrin, who relatiates, and retaliates, and retaliates... :D
"There’s nothing to fear but fear itself and maybe some mild to moderate jellification of bones." Cave Johnson, Portal 2. :panda:

Arret
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby Arret » 24 Apr 2014, 23:31

It definitely seems biased toward magic heavy parties, but I found that more due to healing requirements than damage. My might classes always outpaced magic classes in terms of damage. Freemages were next to useless other than the occasional implosion spam since I already had a runepriest for light.

I finished the hybrid achievement, and that was easy mode. 3 characters with GM endurance and a couple with GM dodge, a hybrid with master earth, and a pure caster for GM light. The only real annoyances were needing to get whispering shadows scrolls every time I went somewhere and not having Identify. Ok, the expansion dungeons were horrible with no water magic until I got my items back, but in the main game you have massive stashes of dispel scrolls.

Any party that can cast high level light and high level earth should be ok.

The shaman promotion is absurdly OP. It gives basically infinite mana unless you are using taunts.

hellegennes
Succubus
Succubus

Unread postby hellegennes » 25 Apr 2014, 13:40

Panda Tar wrote:I hope you're right.

Caindale could be vulnerable to Skull Crush, for example, which he is not, as all bosses. Unless your team has some strong resistance to light and somehow never gets killed (for who would resurrect them?), I really don't know how that would be possible. Not to mention Perrin, who relatiates, and retaliates, and retaliates... :D
Well, that's what scrolls are for. Even though I had resurrection as a spell, I also kept scrolls of it in my backpack. Also: light ward.

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 25 Apr 2014, 14:18

hellegennes wrote: Well, that's what scrolls are for. Even though I had resurrection as a spell, I also kept scrolls of it in my backpack. Also: light ward.
Yes, but do we get those scrolls while wandering about the prison? During the normal game, out of that DLC, I'm sure we have many ways to beat the game by using scrolls. But I don't remember if we could buy any scrolls from the shops in that prison or if I had any luck in finding one. :(

hellegennes
Succubus
Succubus

Unread postby hellegennes » 26 Apr 2014, 19:41

I 'm not that positive about it but I do think that you could buy some from the smugglers.

Variol
Wraith
Wraith

Unread postby Variol » 05 May 2014, 09:31

Now I have a Paladin, Rune Lord, Druid and Freemage. Aside some difficulties opening secret passages, it's so easier having a more magic oriented team, that I cannot help but wonder how a might oriented party beats this game.

I currently have a Paladin and 3 Mercenaries. I kick the crap out of everything. ;)

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 05 May 2014, 10:21

:-D
Let's hope you'll keep doing so throughout DLC's first part, then. :D Facing Perrin and Caindale might be a bit bothersome.

Variol
Wraith
Wraith

Unread postby Variol » 05 May 2014, 20:23

I can't think of whom either of them are?

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 05 May 2014, 20:41

Hm, they're the two first bosses of the DLC you play after beating the normal game. Be prepared.

hellegennes
Succubus
Succubus

Unread postby hellegennes » 06 May 2014, 02:31

I now have a party of a paladin, bladedancer, runelord and warmonger. The paladins are so hybrid that they are rarely of any real use in combat. They are mainly there to cast light protective spells and to stay alive (they are pretty good at not dying). The bladedancer is good enough, the runelord is a great mage to have and the warmonger deals enormous amounts of damage. This is mainly a melee based party, so I want to see how well it will fare against Caindale.

hellegennes
Succubus
Succubus

Unread postby hellegennes » 16 May 2014, 15:16

Caindale turned out to be a piece of cake with my new party. As long as you have light ward (paladin) + arcane ward activated, it's a matter of a few minutes at most. The paladin ensures no character is dead for more than one round and his three healing spells* ensure and the divine shield keep them all in good shape. I think it took me no more than 10 rounds. However, I do believe that it's probably really hard if not close to impossible to win without having a light magic caster, because, evidently, there are no light ward scrolls in the dungeon.

* heal, heal party and lay on hands (which you'd cast when his/her spell points are close to zero).

Arret
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby Arret » 17 May 2014, 02:51

The problem I had with the new zones were the constant sleeping. I was running the hybrid achievement team, and had no sleep curing spell against the inquisitors. Basically any turn that I forgot to recast Burning Determination it was game over.

hellegennes
Succubus
Succubus

Unread postby hellegennes » 17 May 2014, 16:45

Oh, yes, you have to have burning determination on at all times. It's by far the most useful protective spell, because the rates of success of inflicting any condition is rather high.

Arret
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby Arret » 18 May 2014, 17:30

Dumping a bunch of sleep casting enemies in front of you while stripping your items (scrolls) was ridiculous for a party with no dispel and no sleep curing.

Xfing
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Xfing » 08 Sep 2014, 13:53

Damn, just found out they stopped supporting the game in June already. That was what, like 6 months?

Good going, Ubisoft.

Wonder if they'll give MM XI a bigger budget.

Return to “Might and Magic”