Timeline of CRON

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
Avonu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Avonu » 18 Aug 2014, 16:14

:P

Now to answer your question: Isles of Terra were created when Shikbath Zera crashed on ocean world of Terra, thanks to Sheltem sabotage. Shikbath Zera carried Varns to create islands on this planet but because of Sheltem not all of them safely landed, some were sunk.
This happened some time before MM1 events. After this disaster the Ancients sent Corak to capture, deactivate and bring back Sheltem for repairs to some distant (and unknown to us) Ancient base and to replace him as Guardian of Terra.
On the way back to Ancients Sheltem emerged, imprisoned Corak and landed on VARN 4. His only task (motivated by his first directive) was to return on Terra to "guard" it.
VARN4 was a part of CRON vehicle, which one of task was to deliver 4 Varns on Terra to replace lost ones.

We don't know which one Varns landed on Terra after MM2 ending but we know that CRON had more then just four Varns, as Sheltem launched Varn 6 into (Terra?) sun.

I guess Varns form MM2's Cron are none of islands visited in MM3 and we only explore Varns from Shikbath Zera.
I also think that both VARN4 and CRON weren't designed to land on Terra. Cron later left Minos System and went to unknown (to us) destination.

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 18 Aug 2014, 18:39

Well, it took me that long to beat MM2, what can I say :P
Avonu wrote:Now to answer your question: Isles of Terra were created when Shikbath Zera crashed on ocean world of Terra, thanks to Sheltem sabotage. Shikbath Zera carried Varns to create islands on this planet but because of Sheltem not all of them safely landed, some were sunk.
Hmm, interesting.
Avonu wrote:His only task (motivated by his first directive) was to return on Terra to "guard" it.
Second directive.
Avonu wrote:VARN4 was a part of CRON vehicle, which one of task was to deliver 4 Varns on Terra to replace lost ones.
If the Isles we see in MM3:IoT are made of several VARNs of Shikbath Zera, and the MM2:GtAW CRON was sent to replace the other ones, wouldn't these replacement VARNs end up at the same general location and thus be seen during IoT? We do know that their integration had already begun by that time.
Avonu wrote:We don't know which one Varns landed on Terra after MM2 ending but we know that CRON had more then just four Varns, as Sheltem launched Varn 6 into (Terra?) sun.
True, chances are it wouldn't be possible to identify which ones landed, and where. Although it feels to me that it was intended that all the GtAW CRON's VARNs be integrated into Terra. IIRC it says "CRON and its VARNs", not "CRON and some of its VARNs". And Corak says that part of the plan went as scheduled, and nobody ever says any VARNs were missing.

Also, I doubt it was the Terran sun the VARN 6 got launched into, as that was during the several year travel to Terra (while Sheltem was still disguised as Alamar).
Avonu wrote:I also think that both VARN4 and CRON weren't designed to land on Terra. Cron later left Minos System and went to unknown (to us) destination.
CRON, most likely. But nothing was said about VARN4... I'd be inclined to believe it got integrated after all. Or destroyed while trying.

Avonu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Avonu » 18 Aug 2014, 19:39

GreatEmerald wrote:If the Isles we see in MM3:IoT are made of several VARNs of Shikbath Zera, and the MM2:GtAW CRON was sent to replace the other ones, wouldn't these replacement VARNs end up at the same general location and thus be seen during IoT? We do know that their integration had already begun by that time.
Only if you assume this few islands represents all Terra, which would be small world.
All of MM3 islands have their own lore and IIRC all of them says about SHeltem and how he disrupted peace between them and 3 kingdoms.
GreatEmerald wrote:True, chances are it wouldn't be possible to identify which ones landed, and where. Although it feels to me that it was intended that all the GtAW CRON's VARNs be integrated into Terra. IIRC it says "CRON and its VARNs", not "CRON and some of its VARNs". And Corak says that part of the plan went as scheduled, and nobody ever says any VARNs were missing.
MM5 wrote:Corak
The VARNs that were to be released on Terra have done so on schedule, revealing that Sheltem still follows one of his directives.

I have arrived on Terra once again, and the landscape is a bit different from my last visit. Four VARN. descended on the planedt while I was in stasis and Sheltem is busy assimlating the people, plants, and animals into the existing biosphere. His process seems flawed, however.

AFter much time and effort, I have determined that Sheltem resides in the original seedship that first settled on Terrra.

Sheltem
Back on the Wire at last! The security system is mine to control, now, along with the rest of CRON. CRON is moving within Schwartz-Heinrich matter transfer range as I dictate this entry. I have placed a copy of my personality in the computer to direct the transfer of Terra's VARNs to the surface of Terra and then pilot CRON into the sun.

At last! I HAVE RETURNED TO TERRA! It is good be back on the Terran Wire. There is much work to be done supervising the implantation of the VARNs onto Terra. Now that I'm back there are going to be some changes around here...

CRON has not thrown itself into the sun, and I fear that it has no plans to do so in the near future. My nav computers indicate that it is on course to exit the system in three months, none the worse for my sabotage. My revenge on the Ancients will have to wait.
MM5 retconned few things.
GreatEmerald wrote:Also, I doubt it was the Terran sun the VARN 6 got launched into, as that was during the several year travel to Terra (while Sheltem was still disguised as Alamar).
Yes, you have right.

GreatEmerald wrote:CRON, most likely. But nothing was said about VARN4... I'd be inclined to believe it got integrated after all. Or destroyed while trying.
I think we would recognize some places or names from MM1, if VARN4 would land on Terra. ;)

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 18 Aug 2014, 20:57

Avonu wrote:Only if you assume this few islands represents all Terra, which would be small world.
True, VARNs are pretty sizeable. In fact, from the looks of it, it would rather make sense that the entirety of IoT takes place on a single VARN from Shikbath Zera, broken into pieces to form the isles. That would also explain the kingdoms.

Then again, the scale may be different. One might argue that time in the IoT overworld goes faster than in towns, while that wasn't the case in GtAW, so each of the isles is bigger than we see... but then that's game mechanics, so it's not a very solid point.
Avonu wrote:MM5 retconned few things.
Ah, right, four VARNs, and CRON had at least six... So there's a certain chance of VARN4 being integrated and not being integrated. Pretty high chance of it getting integrated, though; if they go in order, then it would get integrated, plus there is the possibility that VARN5 was also lost somewhere during transit and by the time of GtAW end there are only four VARNs left.
Avonu wrote:I think we would recognize some places or names from MM1, if VARN4 would land on Terra. ;)
Not if we didn't get to see it, as per your point above ;)

Adam Eornom
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Re: Timeline of CRON

Unread postby Adam Eornom » 30 Jul 2023, 18:19

I would like to ask an unrelated question (I don't know how to open a new discussion, this is my very first post in this board): Could the Forces of the Dome from M&M3 be in fact the five TGS heroes from HoMM IV? I mean, they defeat someone powered through nature itself, so it shouldn't be that much of a leap to go from simple adventurers to demigod level beings. Though when I say it out loud, it does seem to be that much of a leap.

In any case, their personalities should match. Bohb becomes Cosmonium, Dogwoggle becomes Bellum, Kozuss becomes Gaiam, Alita becomes Lurkane and Agraynel becomes Esoterica. Agraynel and Kozuss are a bit more awkward, but I think they still fit well enough. Once they arrive on Terra, via whatever absurd fanfiction has been written to connect the dots, they realize they are not on the same level with Elemental Lords and pick champions they can help and guide. Or at the very least, puppets to fight for them.

Does this make sense? Let me know.

Return to “Might and Magic”