The altar key in MM7

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
Xfing
Vampire
Vampire

The altar key in MM7

Unread postby Xfing » 06 Jul 2011, 13:43

What do both of the factions need it for? As we later learn, in the end it boils down simply to which side gets the Oscillation Overthruster, meaning that either could complete their project if that single part was delivered to them. So what do Kastore or Resurrectra use the combined altar key for?

Tress
Succubus
Succubus

Unread postby Tress » 06 Jul 2011, 13:48

As I understood it was ultimately needed to access Lincoln ship along with control cube.

XEL II
HoTA Crew
HoTA Crew

Unread postby XEL II » 06 Jul 2011, 13:52

This is the key to Lincoln, which is sealed and otherwise inaccessible. Additional Control Cube (which you get from Robert/Tolberti) is required for this as well.
Make you strong places to dwell and practice the evil of your arts. Build great monuments to stand through the ages and remind your followers of the task with which you have been charged. Use these halls of iniquity to perpetrate your schemes against the infestation that has taken the fields and lakes of this land from you, their rightful masters. Never forget the hatred that must finally overcome and consume mankind. Dwell in your dungeons and brood. - Sheltem the Dark

UndeadHalfOrc
Cyber Zombie
Cyber Zombie

Re: The altar key in MM7

Unread postby UndeadHalfOrc » 06 Jul 2011, 20:04

Xfing wrote:What do both of the factions need it for? As we later learn, in the end it boils down simply to which side gets the Oscillation Overthruster, meaning that either could complete their project if that single part was delivered to them. So what do Kastore or Resurrectra use the combined altar key for?
Actually, Kastore reveals at some point that it was just one of many parts needed to rebuild the Forge.
The Oscillation Overthurster just happens to be one of many other rare, hard to get parts. By the time you do need to get it in the Lincoln, he says it's the ONLY remaining part they couldn't get a hold of in that world.

Xfing
Vampire
Vampire

Re: The altar key in MM7

Unread postby Xfing » 06 Jul 2011, 22:12

UndeadHalfOrc wrote: Actually, Kastore reveals at some point that it was just one of many parts needed to rebuild the Forge.
The Oscillation Overthurster just happens to be one of many other rare, hard to get parts. By the time you do need to get it in the Lincoln, he says it's the ONLY remaining part they couldn't get a hold of in that world.
True, but it looks like the other faction got the parts they needed as well, so if the game allowed it, you could as well bring the overthruster to Resurrectra while playing the Dark Path and they could have succeeded all the same.

And why didn't Kastore/Resurrectra equip the player team with the Cubes or the renewed key when the party headed for the Lincoln?

XEL II
HoTA Crew
HoTA Crew

Unread postby XEL II » 07 Jul 2011, 06:06

Kastore doesn;t reveal the Altar Key to be part needed to rebuild the Forge. Nor is it required to reactivate the gate. It is the key to Lincoln.
And why didn't Kastore/Resurrectra equip the player team with the Cubes or the renewed key when the party headed for the Lincoln?
Because they already opened Lincoln by the time the party was given the final task.
Make you strong places to dwell and practice the evil of your arts. Build great monuments to stand through the ages and remind your followers of the task with which you have been charged. Use these halls of iniquity to perpetrate your schemes against the infestation that has taken the fields and lakes of this land from you, their rightful masters. Never forget the hatred that must finally overcome and consume mankind. Dwell in your dungeons and brood. - Sheltem the Dark

Tress
Succubus
Succubus

Unread postby Tress » 07 Jul 2011, 08:04

Because they already opened Lincoln by the time the party was given the final task.
That of course leaves with another question- why in the hell they did not went down themselves, but used party from barbaric world who could do god knows what to device. After all they are gm ancient wep/dark magic themselves.
Kastore doesn;t reveal the Altar Key to be part needed to rebuild the Forge.
I think its def for lincoln, since it was broken in two. Why in world they would need to break in two some thing that might only hypothetically be useful. Also I think at some point they word drop that it's a key but then quickly takes it back.

XEL II
HoTA Crew
HoTA Crew

Unread postby XEL II » 07 Jul 2011, 09:30

tress wrote:
That of course leaves with another question- why in the hell they did not went down themselves, but used party from barbaric world who could do god knows what to device. After all they are gm ancient wep/dark magic themselves.
I think its def for lincoln, since it was broken in two. Why in world they would need to break in two some thing that might only hypothetically be useful. Also I think at some point they word drop that it's a key but then quickly takes it back.
You do realise that all of this is answered in the game itself basically in the same time as we are given the final tasks?

They didn't went themselves because they needed to battle Kastore's UA, who were trying to destroy the Gate (Kastore needs to defend Heavenly Forge on the Dark Path). Resurectra's team opened Lincoln and tried to settle their differences with Kastore's team, to no avail (Lords of Harmondale were destroying the Kreegans at the time).

The key was broken in two so that they couldn't access Lincoln separately, since the schism occured between the UA, when they arrive on Enroth. The password for Lincoln security system's deactivation also had two parts (one known by Resurectra, the other by Kastore).

Xfing
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Xfing » 10 Jul 2011, 23:34

But Kastore/Resurrectra says "it's secured from entry, even by ourselves. I take it that's referring to the ship's security systems?

Tress
Succubus
Succubus

Unread postby Tress » 11 Jul 2011, 04:17

Think they mean that ship's defense measures, namely drones, cant be turned of by either party.

tolich
Spectre
Spectre

Unread postby tolich » 11 Jul 2011, 05:27

... separately.

Xfing
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Xfing » 11 Jul 2011, 17:31

Ok, I'm satisfied with the answers, thanks for clearing it up for me guys.

But one more question: why 5 control cubes if there are 4 guys in the party? I assume that the whole crew of Lincoln had 8, right?

XEL II
HoTA Crew
HoTA Crew

Unread postby XEL II » 11 Jul 2011, 18:21

Yeah, and Resurectra's/Kastore's team neede an extra one for Lincoln... which they could get by killing a member of the opposite team (Tolberti/Robert).

Xfing
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Xfing » 11 Jul 2011, 21:02

XEL II wrote:Yeah, and Resurectra's/Kastore's team neede an extra one for Lincoln... which they could get by killing a member of the opposite team (Tolberti/Robert).
Yeah, I know. But the question is why? Why of all numbers 5?

Macros the Black
Druid
Druid

Unread postby Macros the Black » 19 Jul 2011, 14:39

Xfing wrote:
XEL II wrote:Yeah, and Resurectra's/Kastore's team neede an extra one for Lincoln... which they could get by killing a member of the opposite team (Tolberti/Robert).
Yeah, I know. But the question is why? Why of all numbers 5?
Because it's more than half of them. The computer would probably accept 5/8 keys, but detect a stalemate when you have 4/8 keys.
You'd think Darkmoor was a ghost town, but instead there's plenty of life among the dead.

MMXAlamar
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby MMXAlamar » 19 Jul 2011, 15:27

Maybe they only needed 1 control cube to enter the Lincoln and the rest just followed through the door...

tolich
Spectre
Spectre

Unread postby tolich » 19 Jul 2011, 17:38

I think that two is high enough, two cubes of the opposite sides.

Resurrectra and her team also need cubes to enter the Gate.

Xfing
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Xfing » 02 May 2014, 11:18

Necrobump!

They already had 4 control cubes with them. So the only reason why they'd need another one would indeed be to get a majority.

But it is still unclear to me why the party, even having the completed key as well as the majority of the control cubes, couldn't retrieve the Overthruster themselves.

kurac
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby kurac » 02 May 2014, 17:00

Xfing wrote:Necrobump!

They already had 4 control cubes with them. So the only reason why they'd need another one would indeed be to get a majority.

But it is still unclear to me why the party, even having the completed key as well as the majority of the control cubes, couldn't retrieve the Overthruster themselves.
i think resurrectra said something about how their own assassin droids would brutally slaughter them :devil: so she needed someone more manly than her :proud:

Xfing
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Xfing » 26 Sep 2014, 22:51

kurac wrote: i think resurrectra said something about how their own assassin droids would brutally slaughter them :devil: so she needed someone more manly than her :proud:
Resurectra and her friends were arguably much more powerful individually than any of the Lords of Harmondale by the time she gave them the mission. I know they were busy fighting their former friends and needed someone else to do the job, but still.
tolich wrote:I think that two is high enough, two cubes of the opposite sides.
A cube's a cube - there's no way the ship could actually predict which four of the adventurers would form one faction and which would form the other. Notice that Kastore's team judging by their MMIII alignments, contained one good and one neutral character (Kastore himself no less). So it only makes sense to believe one team neede the majority of the cubes for some reason.
XEL II wrote:
tress wrote:
You do realise that all of this is answered in the game itself basically in the same time as we are given the final tasks?

They didn't went themselves because they needed to battle Kastore's UA, who were trying to destroy the Gate (Kastore needs to defend Heavenly Forge on the Dark Path). Resurectra's team opened Lincoln and tried to settle their differences with Kastore's team, to no avail (Lords of Harmondale were destroying the Kreegans at the time).

The key was broken in two so that they couldn't access Lincoln separately, since the schism occured between the UA, when they arrive on Enroth. The password for Lincoln security system's deactivation also had two parts (one known by Resurectra, the other by Kastore).
Actually nothing is revealed in the game, not literally and not conclusively. We are only told that the two pieces of the altar form a key to a "very important place", which can be inferred to be the Lincoln. But this brings some inconsistencies to the table - if it's the key to the Lincoln, why not give it to the party on the final quest? If the Terrans themselves had used it to actually open the Lincoln, why not finish the job and retrieve the Overthruster themselves? Also, where do the Control Cubes really come in?

The only thing I can think of is one faction attempting to secure for themselves a way to reactivate the ship and get off Enroth again, but several pieces of their dialogue contradict this. Really, I'm at a loss here.

Return to “Might and Magic”