The Random Pictures thread

Light-hearted discussions, forum games and anything that doesn't fit into the other forums.
Tech Corner - Firewalls, AV etc. - Report Bugs - Board Rules
Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 13 May 2013, 23:46

You're right that I could manage without a car for work, but both hobbies and holidays would be difficult without the mobility of a car. Besides, this one rocks. :D
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

mr.hackcrag
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby mr.hackcrag » 14 May 2013, 01:54

I like Great Emerald's ecological approach to life. Kalah are you a veteranarian with those rabbit operations?

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 14 May 2013, 06:35

Hm? Sorry, I can't hear you, there's too much noise from my chewing on raw pork. ;)
(That's a "no").
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 14 May 2013, 07:24

mr.hackcrag wrote:I like Great Emerald's ecological approach to life.
Comes with the profession. I'm an ecology student.

mr.hackcrag
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby mr.hackcrag » 14 May 2013, 16:05

Kalah wrote:Hm? Sorry, I can't hear you, there's too much noise from my chewing on raw pork. ;)
(That's a "no").
I hoped your work was saving the animals, but that just adds insult to injury. :( At least I can believe Great Emerald. He's a real hero. :)

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 14 May 2013, 20:21

mr.hackcrag wrote:I hoped your work was saving the animals, but that just adds insult to injury. :( At least I can believe Great Emerald. He's a real hero. :)
Well, that said, I'm also not a vegetarian. Just trying to limit its consumption. Ecology is all about the balance, really – finding the sustainable point where the environment is minimally harmed, and humans can still benefit. Polluting helps nobody, and we have the means to limit pollution, thus that's the only sensible thing to do. Livestock farming as a whole is inefficient, but at the same time also necessary, since we still need those extra amino-acids from them to be adequately supplied. Thus cutting down on that is good, elimination is not. Oh, and livestock can also be used as a pretty good lawn mower:
http://inhabitat.com/chicagos-ohare-air ... g-runways/

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 14 May 2013, 22:00

On that basis, we should actually not own pets either; a dog has a bigger ecological footprint than a car does, because of the meat it eats. (I'm a biologist too, you know). ;)

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 19 May 2013, 10:13

Kalah wrote:a dog has a bigger ecological footprint than a car does,
Maybe your car, hippie...
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 19 May 2013, 13:46

The private yacht "The World" is visiting our home town this weekend. The ship is so large it could only moor its aft section to the dock instead of going in alongside.

Considering the glorious weather, we went out in our little boat and took some pictures before heading into town for ice cream. :)

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 19 May 2013, 15:59

Private yacht? What. :|
Also, at least it's not pronounced Throatwobbler Mangrove. Or is it? :devil:

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 19 May 2013, 18:11

It's classified as a private yacht, yes, not as a cruise ship. The reason is that it contains flats that people have actually bought and own.

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 04 Jun 2013, 15:10

The huge tree overhanging our property has fallen down ... that neighbour now has some work on his hands.

He wouldn't have had hands if the tree had hit my new car ... :mad:

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 08 Jul 2013, 16:56

Some more shots from our lovely town, taken last week. :)

markkur
Demon
Demon

Unread postby markkur » 09 Jul 2013, 14:51

Beautiful location Kalah. I envy you. The nearest I've ever got to you is England

For a couple of years I had a nice acre near Fernandina-Beach/Amelia Island Florida just north of Jacksonville. I miss the ocean's cooling effect at night, after a hot day. 105 during the day?...65-70 at night. Do you see the same swing in temp?

I've always wanted to see Scandinavian fiords and even more so; that Viking museum with the old and new Longboats. Those were amazing craft...much better than that private Ocean-liner above:D

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 09 Jul 2013, 22:38

I bring my students to that museum every year ... :D :tongue:

About the swings in temp - yes, we do. In the summer it can get up to 30°C in the day and drop down to 10°C once the sun sets. It's nice. :)

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 15 Jul 2013, 21:47

What's this, then? :-D

jeff

Unread postby jeff » 16 Jul 2013, 00:05

Blurry, but those cranes used in construction or moving large containers? :creative:
Mala Ipsa Nova :bugsquash:

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 16 Jul 2013, 00:19

Yep, shot with a shabby iphone. It was pretty cool seeing them in the dark. Kinda looked like some kind of alien invasion.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 29 Jul 2013, 12:57

For a second there i though you where spying on the Iron Man 3 final battle set or something...
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 02 Aug 2013, 00:36

Some quick pics from the Finnish invasion ...

A bit of gaming.

In front of the brewery, the oldest in the country (founded 1834).

...aaaand this is what happens when you show a pair of Finns a skulpture in the park.

Return to “Campfire”