In Memoriam...

Light-hearted discussions, forum games and anything that doesn't fit into the other forums.
Tech Corner - Firewalls, AV etc. - Report Bugs - Board Rules
Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

In Memoriam...

Unread postby Kalah » 04 Sep 2006, 13:22

As in the old forum, this thread is set up to honour the memory of those we feel the need to...

Starting is the news of Steve "Crocodile Hunter" Irwin's death, which went around the world this morning after the semi-legend was stung to death by a stingray while diving off the Australian coast.
Working his whole life to protect Australian wildlife and raise public awareness on various wild animals, Irwin became somewhat of a legendary figure with the launch of the TV program "Crocodile Hunter" on Discovery Channel back in 1992. His death - albeit not too unexpected considering the line of dangerous work he was in - was caused by a fish which ironically enough is not known to cause a lot of deaths; only one other person is known to have died in Australia from a stingray attack, at St Kilda, Melbourne in 1945, according to BBC.

Steve leaves behind a wife an daughter, and the memory of lots of fun times. Not everyone risks his life by grabbing a croc by the jaws and pulling it out of the water in order to save its life. Bye, Steve, may the work you did in animal conservation be continued by other fiery souls.
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 04 Sep 2006, 13:44

According to an Austarlian newspaper it's the third death by stingray, and all of them were because the sting was near the heart. A really weird death for a guy that wrestled alligators.

And he has two children, a girl and a boy.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Milla aka. the Slayer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Milla aka. the Slayer » 04 Sep 2006, 13:58

What a terrible loss 8| Though I was never a fan of his show in particular I've always been fascinated by his enthusiasm, spirit and dedication to preserving wildlife :)
For that he will be missed :(
This minor magical charm captures the viewer's attention and distra... ooo, pretty...
- Dragon Age Origins

theLuckyDragon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby theLuckyDragon » 04 Sep 2006, 15:58

I saw the news this morning and was quite shocked... It is a terrible loss for the whole world, humankind and wildlife alike. My deepest condoleances to his family, and may he rest in peace...
"Not all those who wander are lost." -- JRRT

dallasmavs41
Demon
Demon

Unread postby dallasmavs41 » 04 Sep 2006, 17:01

It is certainly shocking..I used to love his show when I was younger..When I first heard about it, I was expecting that he was fighting crocidiles, and one had killed him..But a stingray death was really shocking, since I've never heard of anything like it..

Akul
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Akul » 04 Sep 2006, 17:14

The news are schoking :(
I am back and ready to... ready to... post things.

Caradoc
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Caradoc » 04 Sep 2006, 20:26

Crikey!
Before you criticize someone, first walk a mile in their shoes. If they get mad, you'll be a mile away. And you'll have their shoes.

Genesis
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Genesis » 04 Sep 2006, 20:28

What a great guy... we'll miss you Steve.

Especially when you said 'this snake is getting reeeeeally angry'.

:D

What a legend...

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 04 Sep 2006, 20:58

Caradoc wrote:Crikey!
Probably his last words... :)
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

theLuckyDragon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby theLuckyDragon » 04 Sep 2006, 21:40

Caradoc wrote:Crikey!
I think I watched his shows too much because I actually use that word a lot.
"Not all those who wander are lost." -- JRRT

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 04 Sep 2006, 22:04

I just noticed i forgot to say R.I.P. Steve Irwin. You were a fun bloke.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 05 Sep 2006, 02:00

Yep, sad news, especially here in Oz

he was probably one of the best known australians ever (excepting maybe paul hogan - weird, both known for being into crocodiles) and the public are really down about the news, my condolences go to his family

apparently people are leaving flowers outside the Australia Zoo, which is where he worked when not wrestling croc's and snakes and whatever
Human madness is the howl of a child with a shattered heart.

[T]osHiro
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby [T]osHiro » 05 Sep 2006, 07:37

My condolences. May he find more 'adventures' in where ever he is. :angel:
Round Table Olympics '07 Image

Xenofex.XVII
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Xenofex.XVII » 05 Sep 2006, 10:54

I'll miss his documentaries :(
It is time to stop believing and start understanding. - Rael

Omega_Destroyer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Omega_Destroyer » 05 Sep 2006, 21:26

It is tragic that such a vivacious character has met his end. He did a lot to educate and inform the world about various spieces and the importance of preservation. However, we should not be saddened at how he died. Very few people die doing something they dearly love. Furthermore, Mr. Erwin lived life to the very fullest. He lived more in a short amount of time than most live in their lifetime. He should and will be cherished for years to come for how he lived his life. I bid you farewell Mr. Erwin. May your spirit be at peace and know what a difference you made.
And the chickens. Those damn chickens.

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 06 Sep 2006, 01:07

A very good post OD .... the sadness I feel is most definately for his family ....

Milla aka. the Slayer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Milla aka. the Slayer » 06 Sep 2006, 15:12

Last night there were a number of shows on Animal Planet about Steve Irwin and really it was sad to think that we'll never get to see more of his exciting adventures :(
This minor magical charm captures the viewer's attention and distra... ooo, pretty...
- Dragon Age Origins

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 07 Sep 2006, 02:02

yeah, there have been tribute shows running here for him pretty much every day since he passed away, and I am told it is even more intense in America, it seems he was better loved and better known there, then in his homeland

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 07 Sep 2006, 17:24

I thought that was very strange. I don't remember him pretty well, but his work as I'm always interested in wild life and its affairs. Strangely how that happened - sting near the heart. Never heard of that. It is common dying, at least here in Brazil, because a non-heald wound cause by a stingray on your feet, arm or neck (this one is really rare). It must have been a huge animal to do that. ;|

Anyway, that's a risk he has chosen when entered the world of the animals. I'm sure he was happy anyway, doing what he wanted, enjoying wild life for so long. I'm sure his kids will understand that someday and also go for what they want to do - which would mean a lot for their father.
"There’s nothing to fear but fear itself and maybe some mild to moderate jellification of bones." Cave Johnson, Portal 2. :panda:

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 08 Sep 2006, 02:18

I think there have only been about 15-17 fatal stingray attacks (or self-defenses - whatever you like to call them) in the world, but not certain of this fact

Return to “Campfire”