Talk about the weather

Light-hearted discussions, forum games and anything that doesn't fit into the other forums.
Tech Corner - Firewalls, AV etc. - Report Bugs - Board Rules
Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Talk about the weather

Unread postby Kalah » 06 Oct 2008, 16:39

6,9ºC today, not exactly winterly. Still, I've put on the winter tyres, as I don't want to be surprised by the first snowfall a day I don't have time to change them. I feel a bit like a plonker, driving around on bare asphalt with spiked tyres, but there you go...
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

Veldrynus
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Veldrynus » 06 Oct 2008, 17:37

Ah, the infamous Thread of Many Spam is back!
Veldryn 15:15 And Vel found a dirty old jawbone of a walrus and put forth his hand, and took it, and in his unholy rage, he slew thirty four thousand men and children therewith.

Milla aka. the Slayer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Milla aka. the Slayer » 06 Oct 2008, 19:59

Currently I get up veeeeery early in the morning to catch a train south to my new job. And boy is it fre-he-zing in the morning! I could hardly breathe without it hurting in my lungs this morning :disagree:
This minor magical charm captures the viewer's attention and distra... ooo, pretty...
- Dragon Age Origins

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 06 Oct 2008, 20:13

Very nice autumn weather today; quite warm (in the sun), clear skies. Would be nice if it could last for a while.
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

Monte Cristo
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Monte Cristo » 06 Oct 2008, 22:40

Its raining again here. Old Irish saying: Its so wet that you would not put a fox out of a hen-house
The truth is out there

Lord Lakely
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Lord Lakely » 07 Oct 2008, 05:38

Rain, Rain, Rain :mad:

Chai26
Druid
Druid

Unread postby Chai26 » 07 Oct 2008, 10:44

another one of these topics? :disagree: i seem to recall the last one being "unsuccessful"
Voodoo Child
Some say, he/she sucks the moisture out of ducks.

darknessfood
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby darknessfood » 07 Oct 2008, 11:00

Well, it's true Autumn weather. Pretty much rain and stuff. Looking forward to a good winter, latest years, it hasn't been much...
You can either agree with me, or be wrong...

Asheera
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Asheera » 07 Oct 2008, 11:40

It's not much rain here but it's still cold :P
No matter how powerful one becomes, there is always someone stronger. That's why I'm in a constant pursuit of power, so I can be prepared when an enemy tries to take advantage of me.

Milla aka. the Slayer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Milla aka. the Slayer » 07 Oct 2008, 15:20

Chai26 wrote:another one of these topics? :disagree: i seem to recall the last one being "unsuccessful"
You must be thinking about some other forum cause our Weather-thread was booming with replies :-D

@Monte Cristo: That's a funny saying :rofl:
Btw, are you a fan of my favourite count? :D
This minor magical charm captures the viewer's attention and distra... ooo, pretty...
- Dragon Age Origins

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Re: Talk about the weather

Unread postby Angelspit » 07 Oct 2008, 16:28

Kalah wrote:6,9ºC today, not exactly winterly. Still, I've put on the winter tyres, as I don't want to be surprised by the first snowfall a day I don't have time to change them. I feel a bit like a plonker, driving around on bare asphalt with spiked tyres, but there you go...
Aren't you going to wear your tires prematurely driving around on warm days (cause I guess it will get warmer at times before winter).

It's a pretty nice week over here so far. I feel like driving and going to all kinds of places.

Ethric
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Ethric » 07 Oct 2008, 17:09

The city he lives in have a knack for sudden and enormous snowfall. Better to wear out tires sooner than lying in a ditch somewhere/not daring to drive home and having to leave your car. Plenty of people in that position, thinking "What, winter this year too!?" ;)

I remember one time when I lived there, I was going to get some winter tires and on that very day I planned to go: cue fall's first snow and ice. Fortunately it was downhill all the way to the tire shop :D
Who the hell locks these things?
- Duke

Kristo
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Kristo » 07 Oct 2008, 17:51

Ok, you'll have to educate a clueless American. Do they not salt/plow the roads in Norway? All-weather tires aren't good enough to handle Norwegian snowfalls?
Peace. Love. Penguin.

Asheera
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Asheera » 07 Oct 2008, 17:57

That's some fast changing weather there 8|
No matter how powerful one becomes, there is always someone stronger. That's why I'm in a constant pursuit of power, so I can be prepared when an enemy tries to take advantage of me.

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 07 Oct 2008, 18:04

Kristo wrote:All-weather tires aren't good enough to handle Norwegian snowfalls?
Not if you get out of the city, even over here in "Arctic" Canada. We even have a new law to make sure everyone is on winter tires starting from December 15.

Ethric
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Ethric » 07 Oct 2008, 18:55

Kristo wrote:Ok, you'll have to educate a clueless American. Do they not salt/plow the roads in Norway? All-weather tires aren't good enough to handle Norwegian snowfalls?
Plow, yes. But that doesn't help vs ice. Some salting and distribution of sand/gravel as well, but they can't get everywhere immideately. And it might not always help all that much; gravel just... slides of if it's real icy. Then they do stuff like spread hot and/or salted gravel, so as to melt down into the ice. But it doesn't last. Spikes is the way to go, unless you are in one of the handful of "real" cities here and never move outside the city core.

Then you get the bare road, but thin invisible layer of ice formed by subzero rain-routine. I ruined a car on that once, flew right of the road backwards and landed on a heap of pointy boulders, presumeably dumped there when building the road. A few meters further it was just flat and grassy of course. Was a good car *sulk*

But surely you get icy roads in America too? Or do you have heat-cables embedded under all roads? :D
Who the hell locks these things?
- Duke

HodgePodge
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby HodgePodge » 07 Oct 2008, 19:00

Rainy & cool Autumn weather. I love it. Sure beats hot, sweaty +90 degrees. :)
Walk Softly & Respect All Life!

Click Here: Lords of War and Money … A Free & Fun Browser Game.

Asheera
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Asheera » 07 Oct 2008, 19:06

I hate it when people use Fahrenheit and not Celsius degrees :P

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 07 Oct 2008, 19:59

HodgePodge wrote:Rainy & cool Autumn weather. I love it. Sure beats hot, sweaty +90 degrees. :)
Yeah, but not a lot of people share that view. Of course, they spend half the Summer indoor, with the AC on.

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 07 Oct 2008, 20:34

*joining in the education of the clueless American* consensus among experts is currently that winter tyres without spikes ("spikeless") are the best on every road condition except ice, and except if you have a very small, light car (like mine).

Roads in Norway are of course being treated in a variety of ways to ensure that they are safe during winter (plowing, scraping, salting, gravel/sand laying...), but there are lots of roads and only so many people to treat them. Thus the bigger artery roads are prioritized, leaving people out in the districts little choice but to drive things that can get through anything - e.g. the Toyota Land Cruiser or Hyundai Santa Fe. Those are popular over here. Ethric, who lives in a place hardly anybody else does, will probably experience this "sensible prioritizing" of road safety first-hand once the snow starts falling.
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

Return to “Campfire”