Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 05.11.2023]

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
cthscr
Swordsman
Swordsman

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 05.11.2023]

Unread postby cthscr » 23 Apr 2024, 17:47

Rodril wrote: bump
RemoveSkillValueLimits has an issue with an offhand Dagger - it will be allowed at 64 Normal.
Quickest fix (with hardcoded values):

Code: Select all

mem.asmpatch(0x46772E, "test eax, 0xFFFFC00")

TheTate
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby TheTate » 25 Apr 2024, 19:39

Does anybody have a list of racial skills bonuses?

N7Kopper
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby N7Kopper » 26 Apr 2024, 15:42

Kinox wrote: 14 Apr 2024, 17:57 I cannot use CE to Rename Characters, nor to change their biographies. If you or anyone here in the forums knows if this is possible and how, that would be great information!
That's exactly what I figured out! I'm still doing my playthrough (being in a very interesting position between avoiding spoilers and actively using CE to modify characters to build my party), so I haven't finished editing the CE lists yet, but I do in fact know how. The trick is to look at the character's bio in the Adventurer's Inn, and then search for that text string. After searching, pick the result that has "mm8.exe" and is written in green. And the "00" thing just means that MM8 uses null-terminated strings. Write your names and bios within reasonable limits, then put 00 at the end.

Prince_of_Thieves
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Prince_of_Thieves » 27 Apr 2024, 15:47

Hi there, I am one of those guys, who played might and magic for 25 years, so I know every freaking corner of this game and all the tricks. But with MM678Merge i've managed to get a really new experience! I've been playing wizard + druid (2 only), so my ideas are mostly caster-based.
I set bolstering on 120%: HP 1.3, AC 1.4, Damage 1.7, hit chance 1.55, speed 1.2 – turned out to be pretty balanced combination!

Regarding spell usage:
1. Teleportation Restrictions.
Town Portal already works from "green" zone only, so I've extended the rule to Lloyd's Bacon. In general, I tried to avoid teleportation as much as possible. As I pointed out before, it would be cool if each beacon had a price: say, a diamond as a magic component. As a result: when stuck in Darkmoor I had drunk all the potions possible and even had to use "Divine Intervention" twice!!! Can u imagine!

2. Prohibit/Edit imbalanced spells:
I banned «Enslaved», «Berserk», «Charm», «Mass fear» and «Paralyse». Same with "Day of Gods" and "Hour of power" (stats sky-rocket in Merge due to potions, barrels, altars etc.), but I think they could just cost a lot more. "Slow" and "Stun" saved my ass 100500 times, so... maybe their price/level could be corrected as well. "Turn Undead" is an imbalanced spell too (affects even a pack of liches, well... HOW).

3. Ban Starburst + Fly / Water walk
It's so much more fun when you cast Starburst and Meteor Shower from the solid ground only, believe me!

4. More friendly fire
Probably if sparks and fire-mine could damage the party, the game would become even funnier, but no guarantees I would even survived as all my strategy was mostly sparks-based =)

Regarding money flood:
I didn't figure out what to do with those millions I've made on 3 continents. I see that prices were increased by default, but it doesn't change the situation on higher levels. I decided to store everything in bank, but even that didn't help me to feel any gold shortage. My ideas for that are:
1. Raise prices even more and reduce the chance of getting good items on low levels
2. Add the possibility to invest money in Harmondale castle. Even 2 plot-based castle improvements may demand a lot of money on materials.
3. Add some kind of economy/strategic built-in game, which will demand to spend toooooooons of money on Harmondale's economy as this land is supposed to bring problems instead of taxes.
4. level up and expertise may cost x10 higher, maybe that'll help.... (but of course i like the kingdom-simulator-idea more)

Regarding experience flood:
I tried not to level up as often as I could. And I stopped any levelling on 50 lvl, because the game would become completely imbalanced. I see two possible solutions:
1. Drastically change the exp-table and the price of lvl-up. Starting from lvl 5-10, demands should increase exponentially. It would nudge the player to travel through the time and complete other continent's quests to move further.
2. Make it impossible to reach certain level without completing main quests on all the continents (but i don't like it as it sounds less realistic).

I also think it is fair if well's and fountain's bonuses work only within the boundaries of the area. Other option: they work only once per month.
-------------

So are my ideas, if I could contribute somehow, I'd love to. But I only started with C++, and I don't know LUA at all. I can share my might-and-magic related artworks though =)))
I know a hardcore mode of Might and Magic exists (MAW Nightmare), but somehow MM678MERGED looks more like... a true vanilla successor :D

thanks for your attention
and for amazing experience you gifted us
Since I've stepped away from the Thieves Guild affairs, I've mostly been drawing Enroth. My artworks can be found here: https://www.instagram.com/art_out_of_despair/

Tomsod
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Tomsod » 27 Apr 2024, 18:26

Prince_of_Thieves wrote: 27 Apr 2024, 15:47 2. Prohibit/Edit imbalanced spells:
I banned «Enslaved», «Berserk», «Charm», «Mass fear» and «Paralyse». Same with "Day of Gods" and "Hour of power" (stats sky-rocket in Merge due to potions, barrels, altars etc.), but I think they could just cost a lot more. "Slow" and "Stun" saved my ass 100500 times, so... maybe their price/level could be corrected as well. "Turn Undead" is an imbalanced spell too (affects even a pack of liches, well... HOW).
Do you really consider Mind debuffs so OP? In my experience, they're rather too weak because everyone and their mother resists them at least half of the time (or is outright immune). Paralyze is strong precisely because it checks uncommon Light resistance, and Turn Undead is not resistible at all, but as for the Mind spells, only Berserk is really strong -- if you can land it, which often requires reloads -- and the others are either meh or "too little, too late". At least that's how it is to me; if you have some very strong strategy based on these, I would very much like to hear it!

Prince_of_Thieves
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Prince_of_Thieves » 28 Apr 2024, 02:56

Tomsod wrote: 27 Apr 2024, 18:26 f you have some very strong strategy based on these, I would very much like to hear it!
Wouldn't call that a strategy, but when I was playing already outdated version of pure hp 200% bolstering, it was the only way to deal with tough monsters. The thing is, they all focus around one which turns hostile, and so they get engaged while you can go finish your coffee. Probably, that's because monsters are tough: it takes them more time than regularly.
Didn't feel that there was some big resistance but I banned for myself mind spells on early stages. I think, that can be a good way to solve the problem: stronger resistances/often immunities, bigger mana price, longer recovery rate... Basically, in dnd you'd be able to cover with one spell not more monsters than some hp, based on your skill. Say, if you covered 40 hp, it would be not more 3 goblins or 1 goblin-lord. +Concentration on not more than 1 spell. But I am not sure if Might and Magic followed the same logic...
Since I've stepped away from the Thieves Guild affairs, I've mostly been drawing Enroth. My artworks can be found here: https://www.instagram.com/art_out_of_despair/

Tomsod
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Tomsod » 28 Apr 2024, 07:48

Oh, well that's Berserk, it is strong. One of my favorite spells actually! I'd thought you made something of the other Mind spells, since they're not as great IMO. I don't think there's a need to ban Charm, for instance, as it's not terribly game-breaking.

Prince_of_Thieves
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Prince_of_Thieves » 28 Apr 2024, 12:21

Tomsod wrote: 28 Apr 2024, 07:48 I don't think there's a need to ban Charm, for instance, as it's not terribly game-breaking.
Well, I think, the bigger is the variety of immunities, the more you need to change your tactics and invent new things, so... the more interesting it becomes at the end. For instance, some of the Beholders in Darkmoor are immune to electricity, some to fire, i had to switch between spells all the time, that's cool.
(btw, i'd say the Darkmoor gave me such a counter strike experience with shrapmetal and toxic clouds flying upon my head all the time. I always hated that Dungeon, but now it was one of the coolest experience)

raekuul
Marksman
Marksman

Unread postby raekuul » 29 Apr 2024, 17:31

Honestly a lot of the fun I have with MMMerge is exactly how overpowered I get at the end of everything... which naturally means that next time I'm going to use a special script to zero out all monster exp rewards, leaving me with just quest exp. I'm pretty sure that with just quest exp I won't get much further than level 80 on the Hero of Jadame. That should help a lot with ameliorating the balance issues (90% of problems with the spells in group 2 is that they remove monsters from combat without having to fight them and when you have a lower power cap you need to rely on those more often rather than less)

phamlongtuan
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby phamlongtuan » 30 Apr 2024, 03:58

Hello, I could not find Heart of Water, there is none on altar.

NhanGia71
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby NhanGia71 » 32 minutes ago

phamlongtuan wrote: 30 Apr 2024, 03:58 Hello, I could not find Heart of Water, there is none on altar.
You meant Heartstone quest from Might and Magic 8?

This Heart of Water?

It's still there. I using lastest base and update.
You need go to Plane of water through atlas like Portal of Water in Ravage Roaming

Return to “Might and Magic”