H4 The Reckoning campaigns

The old Heroes games developed by New World Computing. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
iLiVeInAbOx05
Equilibris Team
Equilibris Team

H4 The Reckoning campaigns

Unread postby iLiVeInAbOx05 » 21 Jul 2014, 18:31

I've been looking around a bit, but it doesn't appear that anyone has done any campaigns for the events of The Reckoning. Is that true, or am I just not looking hard enough? Seems like a big hole left by the makers of HOMM. It could basically be its own game / expansion.

I've actually been thinking about trying my hand at campaign / map making for this, but if it's already been done somewhere I'll just go with that.

So I guess the short version is this: Has anyone actually made campaigns for the events of The Reckoning?
Last edited by Anonymous on 12 Feb 2016, 20:06, edited 2 times in total.

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 21 Jul 2014, 18:48

Most campaigns we have are non-canon. Have a look at this page.
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

iLiVeInAbOx05
Equilibris Team
Equilibris Team

Unread postby iLiVeInAbOx05 » 21 Jul 2014, 19:02

Kalah, thank you for your reply. I am very familiar with that page :) but I'm trying to find out specifically if anyone has created campaigns for the events of The Reckoning (which appears unlikely) and if so, where I can find them :)

Karmakeld
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby Karmakeld » 25 Jul 2014, 14:59

Haven't heard/read about such, but I would def. encourage you to make your own. I've never completed Armageddon's blade, but I guess it basically just went from the World is getting blown up to ppl. arriving through portals in H4. Can you be more specific what you had in mind, were you to do a campaign yourself?
I'm silent in seven languages - and I got all my familys fear.
Everytime you throw dirt, you loose a little ground

iLiVeInAbOx05
Equilibris Team
Equilibris Team

Unread postby iLiVeInAbOx05 » 25 Jul 2014, 16:49

Hi Karmakeld. After HOMM3 AB there is Heroes Chronicles, and that actually gets into the search for the Sword of Frost, which is found at the end of the last chapter and taken by Kilgor's wife Kija. After that, we have HOMM4.

So what I was envisioning as a set of campaigns for The Reckoning is this:

1) A campaign starting right where Tarnum's last chapter of Heroes Chronicles ends: Play as Kija escaping Tarnums forces and returning to Kilgor with the Sword of Frost. 1 or 2 maps for that. Then 1 or 2 maps of Kilgor wrecking shop with the Sword of Frost and preparing to bring battle to everyone.

2) A campaign about the mysterious portals being opened to save as many people as possible. I was thinking maybe follow the wizards and even bring Tarnum back to warn everyone about AB and the SoF. Maybe back to the Elemental Planes to find the new world? Ends with the exodus.

3) THE Campaign. Gelu tracks, corners, and fights Kilgor. Ends, obviously, with The Reckoning.

4) A campaign where Solomyr saves Gavin Magnus after The Reckoning. He travels to the Elemental plane before the destruction, and then searches for/saves Gavin after.

Those are the four campaigns I've been able to think of, I'm sure there's some other coolness that could also be turned into a campaign that I've forgotten :)

iLiVeInAbOx05
Equilibris Team
Equilibris Team

Unread postby iLiVeInAbOx05 » 25 Jul 2014, 16:54

Btw Karmakeld, I'll definitely be checking your campaign out when I get the chance. I've played some user made maps in HOMM3, but I haven't gotten to any user made campaigns!

Also, I'm kind of leaning more towards these Campaigns being made in HOMM4 rather than 3, so that more than one hero can be in a party.

Karmakeld
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby Karmakeld » 25 Jul 2014, 20:46

ah yes, I've read some of the chronicles texts (those I could find), but never got to play those either. Interesting ideas you got. For one of my maps I was given the idea of how Enroth might look like, should anyone return there. I've not yet decided if I'll make use of the idea, but it might fit your campaign. Guess it also a decision of what options you'd like, wheter to make it for 3 or 4.. anywho, good luck with the project, should you decided to start, and if you need help, don't hesitate to ask..

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 25 Jul 2014, 23:17

I'm not sure you need several different campaigns to tell that story, do you? Would it not be possible to do it in a single campaign? It would mean less work and an increased chance the project would actually reach completion.

I would also say that regardless of what has been done before, I'm sure players would still like to play your campaign to see your take on it, for the side quests you create and for the sake of just playing their favourite game.
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

Karmakeld
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby Karmakeld » 26 Jul 2014, 13:54

I think you're right about that Kalah. I think many would prefer it to be gathered in one rather than in 4 small ones.. The red line that ties them together is already there, so..

Koni
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Koni » 26 Jul 2014, 14:25

... and it's a nice idea to give them free for download chapterwise for playing single parts like Karmakeld did with his Tales of Young Mudgeon campaign. ;)

Karmakeld
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby Karmakeld » 26 Jul 2014, 14:48

thanks Koni. That was one of up sides of doing the campaing chapter wise, then other benefit is that it's easier when it comes to carrying over, and it allows me to do some fun stuff in chapter 6.. But still, instead of splitting it in 4 campaigns, you could split it in chapters like Koni suggests..

iLiVeInAbOx05
Equilibris Team
Equilibris Team

Unread postby iLiVeInAbOx05 » 29 Jul 2014, 00:40

Kalah wrote:I'm not sure you need several different campaigns to tell that story, do you? Would it not be possible to do it in a single campaign? It would mean less work and an increased chance the project would actually reach completion.
Karmakeld wrote:I think you're right about that Kalah. I think many would prefer it to be gathered in one rather than in 4 small ones.. The red line that ties them together is already there, so..
I could see merging 1) and 3) together, and possibly 2) and 4), but I'm not sure how much sense it would make to put all of them together unless the story I come up with only has enough substance for a couple maps each.
Koni wrote:... and it's a nice idea to give them free for download chapterwise for playing single parts like Karmakeld did with his Tales of Young Mudgeon campaign. ;)
Karmakeld wrote:thanks Koni. That was one of up sides of doing the campaing chapter wise, then other benefit is that it's easier when it comes to carrying over, and it allows me to do some fun stuff in chapter 6.. But still, instead of splitting it in 4 campaigns, you could split it in chapters like Koni suggests..
Could you guys explain what you mean by chapterwise? I haven't had a chance to look at what Karmakeld has done yet :D

If I do actually get into this I was planning on releasing each of the campaigns separately, rather than waiting until they were all finished. I just started a very broad outlining of the story for #2, and it got me kind of excited! Hopefully when I get to the map making part I won't hit any big roadblocks, but I'll definitely ask on here if I have questions.. and I actually do have 1 question so far (which may belong in a different sub-forum): How can I get a Sword of Frost for my maps :D? Also, if I were to do this on HOMM4, where would I get/how would I make an Armageddon's Blade artifact?? I haven't mucked around in the editor yet, so I don't know what's there.

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 29 Jul 2014, 00:57

They're talking about releasing the maps individually as soon as they are finished, or at least releasing some of the campaign before it is finished. It will give the players something to play, as well as working as extra playtesting. You can also release them in the order you suggest.

Koni
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Koni » 29 Jul 2014, 18:46

iLiVeInAbOx05 wrote: How can I get a Sword of Frost for my maps :D? Also, if I were to do this on HOMM4, where would I get/how would I make an Armageddon's Blade artifact?? I haven't mucked around in the editor yet, so I don't know what's there.
There is a General overview about all Artifacts for H4 on this site, where you could take a look. Choose the Heroes IV part and examine the artifacts section. f.e. the Sword of Gods, the Sword of Swiftness, Angels Blade or the Giant Slayer could do it.

iLiVeInAbOx05
Equilibris Team
Equilibris Team

Unread postby iLiVeInAbOx05 » 30 Jul 2014, 00:23

Kalah wrote:They're talking about releasing the maps individually as soon as they are finished, or at least releasing some of the campaign before it is finished. It will give the players something to play, as well as working as extra playtesting. You can also release them in the order you suggest.
Got it, thanks Kalah.
Koni wrote:There is a General overview about all Artifacts for H4 on this site, where you could take a look. Choose the Heroes IV part and examine the artifacts section. f.e. the Sword of Gods, the Sword of Swiftness, Angels Blade or the Giant Slayer could do it.
Hmm, I took a look in there, but the problem is this: I'd like a sword called Sword of Frost and one called Armageddon's Blade with roughly the same properties / abilities as in HOMM3 (for Armageddon's Blade anyway). I'm guessing in order to do that, I'd have to do a little modding?

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 30 Jul 2014, 10:05

Yeah, I don't know of a way to do that in Heroes IV. I guess you'd have to enter the code and change something. The way I used to do it was just use an artefact that looked right, and call it something else - for instance set up a quest where you're looking for a Medallion, and then just place the Scarab of Summoning in the map and use that.

iLiVeInAbOx05
Equilibris Team
Equilibris Team

Unread postby iLiVeInAbOx05 » 31 Jul 2014, 03:36

Kalah wrote:Yeah, I don't know of a way to do that in Heroes IV. I guess you'd have to enter the code and change something. The way I used to do it was just use an artefact that looked right, and call it something else - for instance set up a quest where you're looking for a Medallion, and then just place the Scarab of Summoning in the map and use that.
I can get away with that for the campaign I'm currently working on the story for, but I'd really like to have a Sword of Frost and Armageddon's Blade for Gelu's campaign. Guess I'll have to do some googling :)

Karmakeld
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby Karmakeld » 31 Jul 2014, 08:01

The Equilibris team added 3 artifacts, so it is possible to do with some modding. Maybe consult the Equilibris tread for a solution how to.

I'm not sure if you're familiar with campaign making, so I'll just help specify the meaning of chapters: each of my maps is made as a seperate 1 map campaign. This will e.g. allow you to transfer heroes to the next or a later chapter/campaign unlike a regular single map. The reason why I used this, was because my campaign features both a good and an evil side, and all carryover artifacts will transfer to the strongest hero on the next map, meaning the evil Guys would occasionally get the good Guys artifacts and vice versa. I could use variable to avoid this, but that's more complicated.

Now if you were to combine your four campaigns into two as you suggest, you could just transfer Kilgor from #1 to #3. Also notice that you can still control the order of the campaigns (if split up), using carryover heroes. This way player must play them in the right order to unlock the next campaign.

iLiVeInAbOx05
Equilibris Team
Equilibris Team

Unread postby iLiVeInAbOx05 » 31 Jul 2014, 17:38

Karmakeld wrote:The Equilibris team added 3 artifacts, so it is possible to do with some modding. Maybe consult the Equilibris tread for a solution how to.
Awesome, thanks, that gives me a good place to start :D
Karmakeld wrote:I'm not sure if you're familiar with campaign making, so I'll just help specify the meaning of chapters: each of my maps is made as a seperate 1 map campaign. This will e.g. allow you to transfer heroes to the next or a later chapter/campaign unlike a regular single map. The reason why I used this, was because my campaign features both a good and an evil side, and all carryover artifacts will transfer to the strongest hero on the next map, meaning the evil Guys would occasionally get the good Guys artifacts and vice versa. I could use variable to avoid this, but that's more complicated.

Now if you were to combine your four campaigns into two as you suggest, you could just transfer Kilgor from #1 to #3. Also notice that you can still control the order of the campaigns (if split up), using carryover heroes. This way player must play them in the right order to unlock the next campaign.
I'm not super familiar with map making for HOMM. I've done a little tweaking to single maps in HOMM3 RoE that I enjoyed playing, but I haven't touched campaigns yet, so again, good info thanks!

Karmakeld
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby Karmakeld » 02 Aug 2014, 08:21

there's alot of useful tips and tricks on these sites:
https://www.celestialheavens.com/694
https://www.celestialheavens.com/517

and as mentioned before, don't hesitate asking for help, if you get stuck with some script/idea.. The editor allows you to do much more than the official campaigns showed, it's all about creative thinking.. and a bit of practice ;-)

Return to “Heroes I-IV”