H4 campaign in progress - The Tale of Young Mudgeon

The old Heroes games developed by New World Computing. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
Steven Aus
War Dancer
War Dancer

Re: HIV campaign in progress - The Tale of Young Mudgeon

Unread postby Steven Aus » 09 Sep 2016, 06:04

Are you still working on this? I just downloaded maps 1-5 from maps4heroes.com. I take it you store campaign information so that later maps are affected by your playthroughs on earlier maps?
My Life Purpose Is To Teach The World To Fish For Life. I AM Steven Russell Lynch Abundance That I AM. Empowerment And Fostering Self-Responsibility Is My Game.

Karmakeld
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby Karmakeld » 09 Sep 2016, 20:47

Hey Steven. I'm glad you seem interested in this. Yes I am still working on it, though I've been a bit inactive since the updated release. I currently have to polish (add new ideas and scripts) to my 6th-8th map. They're some +90% percent done, but also needs translation from Danish to English as well as proper balancing.
My inactivity is caused by several reasons. My no. 1 tester/sparing partner has gone MIA, and feedback from other testers have sadly been quite limited, I lost a good amount of progress on my 6th map due to my old PC burning off it's motherboard and mean while I've committed myself to the Unity project. But I still develop the story and ideas and I do plan to pick up where I left.
Yes indeed I store campaign info for the later maps. Be sure you got the latest version, I believe it was released in Feb. 2016 (v.1.1) as I corrected an issue in the last (5th) map, that would've caused a serious issue in the upcoming 6th map.
Oh and although I don't plan on any further updates or changes for the first 5 maps, any feedback will be much appreciated :)
Last edited by Anonymous on 09 Sep 2016, 20:50, edited 2 times in total.
I'm silent in seven languages - and I got all my familys fear.
Everytime you throw dirt, you loose a little ground

Steven Aus
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Steven Aus » 10 Sep 2016, 03:16

I downloaded the maps from the end of the previous page in this thread, so I'm pretty sure it is v1.1.
My Life Purpose Is To Teach The World To Fish For Life. I AM Steven Russell Lynch Abundance That I AM. Empowerment And Fostering Self-Responsibility Is My Game.

Karmakeld
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby Karmakeld » 10 Sep 2016, 08:33

Yeah I forgot about the posted link ;) Been a while.

Steven Aus
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Steven Aus » 11 Sep 2016, 14:15

I guess the file which contains carryover information for campaigns is for all campaigns, which means I deleted some information I had stored a while back for other campaigns. Oh well, probably would be good to play them again since it's been so long ago, if I want to. :)

Karmakeld
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby Karmakeld » 11 Sep 2016, 18:24

Yeah I believe they're all stored in the 'carryover' file found in the data folder. Remember to Place the included mod file in the data folder as well for best experience.

Karmakeld
CH Staff
CH Staff

Re: H4 campaign in progress - The Tale of Young Mudgeon

Unread postby Karmakeld » 16 Oct 2016, 10:26

I haven't really updated this tread, since I updated my released maps back in February. I'm still working on this campaign and have lots of ideas and plans I hope to carry out, in a not so distant future. But the past 6 months or so, I've been spending most of my H4 time on the fan-project of making the never released Unity campaign, based on Terry Ray's script. Recently a lot of exciting stuff is going on with H4, like modding possibilities etc. which I'm looking very much forward to, but I'm also hoping to be able to use many of these upcoming options in my campaign, so you gotta have patience with me.
A few examples of modding options I'm hoping to become reality, which I'd like to incorporate into my campaign, are stuff like NimoStar's creature heroes modding. This might've been a cool addition to my 5th map, so depending on your choice, your character would look like either a ghost, a zombie, a skeleton or a vampire, both on the adventure map and in combat, but still have the skills and stats of a hero. I would've also loved to have been able to change the Trees of Knowledge in my 2nd map or the Magic Wells in the 3rd, into actual quest huts. I believe there's hope for changes like these, which would open up a lot of new possibilities for mapmaking.

Steven Aus
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Steven Aus » 23 Oct 2017, 23:25

Have played the latest version of Mudgeon Map 1 on Champion. Have had to play and replay to optimize my strategies, and get 100,000 gold and 100 gems by Day 7, Week 4, Month 2. But I've had a lot of fun and optimized battle and adventure map strategies and tactics. You do need some luck and good fortune from resource piles, resource site resources etc. For example, the map start I'm using gave 4 gems and crystal (this is max, minimum is 2) at the start, which allowed me to swap 3 crystal for 1 gem and use the 5 gems tree of knowledge near the start. Also there is a 1000 XP chest near the tree, and a +10 ranged attack sling and +10 defense Elven Mail Armor in the map. The sling is very useful, since you can't upgrade Archery from Basic in this map. And the +10 defense is essential for surviving many fights without dying. If you want to download this starting save, it is here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ff14d0jnvkupc ... 1.h4s?dl=0

You might need the latest copy of the first Mudgeon map, I'm not sure. But you definitely need some object files for the map, which is available from Karmakeld by request.

Btw: I really like how you can use the marketplace even without a town. :) It may prevent some map-maker activities, but I like how the marketplace is always available. :) A bit like swapping with the locals. :)
Last edited by Steven Aus on 23 Oct 2017, 23:33, edited 1 time in total.

Karmakeld
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby Karmakeld » 24 Oct 2017, 19:39

The updated map should be widely available in a short period. I just need the update the last couple of maps in the first bundle.
Yeah the marketplace sure is a handy feature.
As for the requirement, Maciek who initially helped me balance the maps on champion, reached an astonishing amount of 120K gold in one of his tests. I was just amazed. Myself, I even find the requirement on Advanced changing. But I'm glad to hear it was fun and challenging for you. I intended for each map to offer a variety of completion conditions a bit out of the ordinary compared to the official campaigns.

Steven Aus
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Steven Aus » 24 Oct 2017, 20:35

I haven't quite finished it yet. But I'm pretty sure I'll get to the requirement this time. I don't mind the 100K + 100 gems requirement, I just like the challenge and optimizing map and battle strategies and tactics. I'm not an expert at Champion, but I really enjoy the challenge and I'm learning a lot about tactics and one man armies. One thing I can do is slow the enemy, cast Flight and Precision, and then wait for morale boosts to do extra damage with my limited shots. I never knew before that good or bad morale increases or decreases your physical damage in that turn.

Karmakeld
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby Karmakeld » 24 Oct 2017, 20:51

Well morale and luck is likely stuff that can make a huge difference in some cases. As for the one man army, I intended for one part of the campaign to focus on hero based armies and the other on army based, sometimes both. I guess you'll see that later on.
But what I wanted to tell you, is that you should note when killing an enemy stack, the remaining enemies will suffer moral decrease. This might also be tactical info.
What I personally like about Equilibris is that enemies always stacks in 3. I found that in WoW version the bandits in the first map, were impossible to defeat when in 1 stack, you have a chance when in 3 stacks. Although you can only attack/retaliate once, you can infact survive longer.

Steven Aus
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Steven Aus » 25 Oct 2017, 02:54

Yes, and also doing damage in subsequent rounds will decrease that side's morale progressively. And the more damage done, the bigger the hit to morale.

Steven Aus
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Steven Aus » 25 Oct 2017, 14:28

Also, if you go a large number of rounds without dealing damage, the enemy's morale recovers. Doesn't go higher than it's normal maximum though (most of the time it's +1).

cjlee
Spectre
Spectre

Unread postby cjlee » 26 Oct 2017, 17:15

just logged on to make a new post, and something struck me...

HIV campaign sounds like something to do with AIDS... call it H4, it looks better.

Karmakeld
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby Karmakeld » 26 Oct 2017, 20:41

Cjlee, yeah you're absolutely right. Old issue though, but still. Changed title to H4

Steven Aus
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Steven Aus » 08 Sep 2018, 16:50

I'm having a great deal of trouble with Champion Mudgeon 1. It seems it requires everything just so - I have a number of things going for a particular map instance, but I have been unable to get enough resources by the 2 month time limit even when I visit all resource caches twice.

I know it is Champion, but this one just requires so much optimization and reloading battles that it may be too much for me.

Is anyone on the board now know any tips or have a really optimized (but not edited) starting Day 1 save?

jeff

Unread postby jeff » 08 Sep 2018, 17:04

cjlee wrote:just logged on to make a new post, and something struck me...

HIV campaign sounds like something to do with AIDS... call it H4, it looks better.

Just me, but I use the Roman numerals out of respect for the title. I use the Arabic numbers as my waving the finger at the UBI productions.
Mala Ipsa Nova :bugsquash:

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 08 Sep 2018, 19:15

Nonetheless HIV is a standard,though I doubt that Ubi cares. When the game was released majority of people used this as a game abbreviation, much faster than Heroes VI. or Heroes 4. And even then there were endless discussions if it's a good idea to call it by that name..

..which were cut down eventually.

But why I'm saying that, both of you were here. :devious:
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

Steven Aus
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Steven Aus » 09 Sep 2018, 07:39

Remember my post three posts up, in case anyone is playing the Mudgeon campaign. :)

Karmakeld
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby Karmakeld » 09 Sep 2018, 20:44

Steven Aus wrote:Remember my post three posts up, in case anyone is playing the Mudgeon campaign. :)
Hi Steven, I just send you latest updated versions of the first 5 maps, just in case you want to restart with the lastest.
I found some old notes of Macieks, as he has complete it on Champion, but he certainly managed to collect more than the 100.000 gold, so it is possible, even if I never managed myself.. here's a few notes I could find..

Gems are less valuable than it seems. When trading, 6 Wood=1 Gem or ~250 Gold. Plus, Golems now produce more Gems in Mine. Trade Ore for Gold to avoid building Fort and Citadel too soon. Don't forget to trade other resources for Gold and Gems. Get the creature banks at the end of the month to raid them twice.

Partial log from one of the elder versions:
I tried to take a Forest Glenn on 1-2-1 at level 4, but that wasn't a
good idea. Not enough damage.
Day 1-2-7. Took Bandits' Bank. A little trading (Crystal for Wood and
Ore) and I can finally build Town Hall.
Both chests gave 1,5k exp.
Day 1-3-2 Bought the Dwarves. They're now everywhere
009 (situation after some 3 weeks) - Day 1-3-3 Wanted to take Gem Mine
but had to change plans to defend some Dwarves from Leprechauns. Who
is whose bodyguard? :P Mudgeon got E Order. Got the Cap right away.
What if he got E Order after a night battle?
Day 1-3-4 Leprechauns attacked Mudgeon at night instead of Dwarves.
Built City Hall and took Gem Mine.
1-3-5 Going towards Gold Mine. Some Dwarves are going towards Blacksmith.
017 - Day 1-3-6 Took Gold Mine. Might take a little longer if I got
less than 2k xp from chests (I got 2*1,5k).
025 (Equipment on a Dwarf closest to Blacksmith) - Day 1-3-7 Went to
town to recharge mana. Gone broke on equipment.
026 (before battle), 033 (last hit in Forest Glenn) - Day 1-4-1 Got
some equipment delievered (Mage's Staff, Crossbow, Acid, Healing
Potions) and took first Forest Glenn. Used Acid on Wolfs. Gotta hurry
if I want things to recharge. Went to town to recharge mana.
039 (second Forest Glenn) 1-4-3 Took second Forest Glenn. Went towards
Sprites to run from them to town next day.
1-4-4 Started mining Golems.
1-4-5 Left town with recharged mana and dashed towards Harpies.
1-4-6 Took Harpies' Bank. It will recharge on 2-4-7. 043 - before
battle, 048 - end of battle.
2-1-2 First Golem was produced. Put the last Dwarves in mine. Going
towards Wood&Ore Mines.
2-1-7 All mines taken. Meanwhile, I got 3 Golems from Villingu and the
Dwarves produced one more Golem.
2-2-1 Wild animals attacked at night. Lost 1 Dwarf in fight (got a
little lucky with morale; 1 Golem or Mudgeon would've defended them
from losses in fight) and 3 in Acid accident.
I'm trading Ore for Gold to avoid building Fort too soon. This way, I
can delay Fort and Citadel (and hence, don't lose mines) until I have
enough resources to win.
067 Day 2-4-2 Mudgeon starts clearing the Banks again. You may notice
that I didn't need to clear any banks again.
Also note that when I trade Wood for Gems or Gold, 6 Wood = 1 Gem or
about 250 Gold. So, when trading, 1 Gem = only about 250 Gold.

Return to “Heroes I-IV”