Another Ubisoft product bites the dust?

Light-hearted discussions, forum games and anything that doesn't fit into the other forums.
Tech Corner - Firewalls, AV etc. - Report Bugs - Board Rules
cjlee
Spectre
Spectre

Another Ubisoft product bites the dust?

Unread postby cjlee » 19 Dec 2016, 18:18

The film Ass Creed has been getting bad reviews

I've been hearing a bit about how good the game is (supposed to be) so I was wondering if the movie could possibly be interesting. But it seems that the critics all despise the movie, and that the only people eager to watch are those who already play the game. Much like Warcraft was a horrible movie that made money only because Chinese gamers supported the movie.

Good. Once I glanced through several reviews, I knew I wasn't going to waste any money on this Ubisoft product.

Avonu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Re: Another Ubisoft product bites the dust?

Unread postby Avonu » 19 Dec 2016, 18:47

cjlee wrote:The film Ass Creed has been getting bad reviews
What a surprise. Really, after seeing trailers you could say, how it would end.
I don't know, why Blizzard and Ubisoft wanted to film their games so much. Mortal Combat 1 was... not bad, but not great either and Street Fighter is remember for Raul Julia performance (and Zangief :D ) but rest of game movies? They were... not so good.
Last edited by Avonu on 19 Dec 2016, 18:51, edited 1 time in total.

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 19 Dec 2016, 20:59

Can any of you remember any good movie based on a game?
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

Avonu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Avonu » 19 Dec 2016, 21:27

Super Mario Bros :devil:

parcaleste
Pit Lord
Pit Lord

Unread postby parcaleste » 20 Dec 2016, 12:30

Kalah wrote:Can any of you remember any good movie based on a game?
I really liked this Prince of Persia some few years back. :angel:
Last edited by parcaleste on 20 Dec 2016, 12:31, edited 1 time in total.

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 20 Dec 2016, 15:54

I said good movies. :tongue:

I mean, there's "Doom", "Final fantasy", the "Resident evil" franchise, "Street fighter", the "Tomb raider" franchise, "Hitman", "Super Mario", "Wing commander", "Max Payne", "Warcraft", that Pokémon thing and that's just the ones I could think of off the top of my head (here's a more complete list). What do all of these have in common? Hmmm let me see ... oh yes: they all suck!

Honestly, the problem here is not Ubisoft (hey, see how I got that back on topic?), but the inherent problem of turning any game into a movie; they are very different in their story telling and while games are about exploring and discovering piece after piece very very slowly, a movie needs a certain pace to wrap up the whole thing in two hours. That's why I'm really hoping they don't make "The Witcher" into a film, because that would amount to compressing dozens of hours of gameplay into a shoebox of two hours, meaning they could only focus on one or two things, leaving out huge chunks of story.
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

Avonu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Avonu » 20 Dec 2016, 16:42

Kalah wrote:That's why I'm really hoping they don't make "The Witcher" into a film
You are 14 years too late! :devil:
To be honest, there also is a TV series (13 episodes) and it was based on books (film was really TV series cut to 2h), while games are more like alternative stories of titual book hero.
Kalah wrote:What do all of these have in common? Hmmm let me see ... oh yes: they all suck!
I disagree. First Mortal Combat didn't suck. Second one however...
Last edited by Avonu on 20 Dec 2016, 16:47, edited 3 times in total.

Dalai
Equilibris Team
Equilibris Team

Unread postby Dalai » 20 Dec 2016, 17:20

Kalah wrote:I said good movies. :tongue:

I mean, there's "Doom", "Final fantasy", the "Resident evil" franchise, "Street fighter", the "Tomb raider" franchise, "Hitman", "Super Mario", "Wing commander", "Max Payne", "Warcraft", that Pokémon thing and that's just the ones I could think of off the top of my head (here's a more complete list). What do all of these have in common? Hmmm let me see ... oh yes: they all suck!
I like Resident Evil franchise and both attempts on Hitman.

Sorry to offend your aesthetic taste. :devious:
"Not a shred of evidence exists in favour of the idea that life is serious." Brendan Gill

overall
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby overall » 21 Dec 2016, 19:36

fuck... why did i read this forum now i actually need to write here im been bit christmas busy and it doesn't mean lying on floor drunk and drugs...

Assassin's Creed movie haven't seen it yet but most likely i will upcoming months... 7.8 in imbd and has Michael Fassbender cant be bad...
Michael Fassbender is like Morgan Freeman he can be put on any movie... i wasn't so into this game old italy streets and roofs and i think its bit too ridiculously brutal like that new Mortal Combat game... but sure like see this movie...

well.. Edge of Tomorrow is inspired by fps games... not necessarily based any...
i liked Resident Evil Extinction others bit nah... there's actually last one coming soon... althog seeing the trailer i don't expect much...
Super Mario Bros movie has terrible imdb rating x) i haven't seen it years but it wasn't so bad... and can there even be good movie made of this...
Street fighter fuck that's bad x) Warcraft movie goes in same category...
first Hitman is good second is fuck that's bad category...
first Mortal Kombat movie was good... others... good to fastforward or skip...

hmm... something i would like to see is Judge Dredd directed by Christopher Nolan it would be great bit like Dark Knight was done... Dark Knight is ok but its like it has too much story to tell in too small time... so i didn't like how its cut like that scene where Joker claps hands in prison cell i must blink my eyes cos i didn't even see it first time... but last Judge Dredd movie was ok bit one placed storywise Dredd might look nice in pegi 18 game too...

Karmakeld
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby Karmakeld » 21 Dec 2016, 20:00

Dalai, I'm partly supporting you. Only limiting Resident Evil to the first two ones, for me it just kept going down hill with the rest. I also found the first Hitman to be okay. The same goes for Silent Hill movies. But in general I agree that you gotta look at the game (gameplay) and how that translates into a movie, and that mainly why I believe most game-movies fail.
I'm silent in seven languages - and I got all my familys fear.
Everytime you throw dirt, you loose a little ground

Dalai
Equilibris Team
Equilibris Team

Unread postby Dalai » 22 Dec 2016, 13:31

overall wrote:i liked Resident Evil Extinction others bit nah... there's actually last one coming soon... althog seeing the trailer i don't expect much...
That's exactly what I expect from it. Go-o-o-od! :-D
Karmakeld wrote:Dalai, I'm partly supporting you. Only limiting Resident Evil to the first two ones, for me it just kept going down hill with the rest. I also found the first Hitman to be okay. The same goes for Silent Hill movies. But in general I agree that you gotta look at the game (gameplay) and how that translates into a movie, and that mainly why I believe most game-movies fail.
I have never played Resident Evil game :D

Whether you like the movie or not depends on what you expect from it. From RE I expect a lot of action, likeable (not necessarily relatable) characters, hordes of zombies in wasteland, and hi-tech sci-fi aesthetics. I get it all. :D And I can't recall another movie series with similar set of ingredients. Sure, there are a lot of movies with zombies, but they are all different. Many are good, but still very different.
"Not a shred of evidence exists in favour of the idea that life is serious." Brendan Gill

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 24 Dec 2016, 20:19

Avonu wrote:
Kalah wrote:That's why I'm really hoping they don't make "The Witcher" into a film
You are 14 years too late! :devil:
To be honest, there also is a TV series (13 episodes) and it was based on books (film was really TV series cut to 2h).
I knew that, actually, and those both suck harder than a black hole. But there is talk of another movie being made in 2017, this time a Hollywood production. :scared:

Return to “Campfire”