Chess

Light-hearted discussions, forum games and anything that doesn't fit into the other forums.
Tech Corner - Firewalls, AV etc. - Report Bugs - Board Rules
Galaad
Vampire
Vampire

Re: Chess

Unread postby Galaad » 27 Mar 2016, 21:31

You have the choice to keep on perpetual check, but you really have another choice? You have one piece less.

17. Kg1

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 27 Mar 2016, 21:41

I'm not sure - which is why I'd play it safe if it was an important game, and secure the draw. I have to keep moving the queen every time you move the king, so that's the advantage for you - also that your queen can take my knight on a5 if I try to bring in a rook for reinforcements.
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

Galaad
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Galaad » 27 Mar 2016, 21:48

If you decide to draw, I would express my POV on the position, but not before.

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 27 Mar 2016, 22:36

Yeah like I said, I'd keep checking.
I'll take some more time to see if there is a sure win for Black... for instance bringing the rook up to the g-lane via Rd8, Rd6 and then Rg6 and Rxg4#
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

Galaad
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Galaad » 27 Mar 2016, 22:58

Bc5 was certainly immediately not precise, I unfortunately played Nh3, d3 seemed more precise, with advantage. Rest was a rather evident line from the black, but Ng3 to draw was pretty nice, game could have continued as in any case draw was assured and if whites want to escape the perpetual by Be3 and loose another pawn, then position becomes unclear. The three black pass pawns on the King side were a nice target for white but seemed so strong against one piece more. It would have definitely be an interesting game, and I was disappointed that you just played for draw.

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 27 Mar 2016, 23:02

Yes, well, after you brought all three pieces together, king, queen and rook, I just didn't see a win for me. I guess that if I were to go for the win, I would do the exchange of pieces and hope that White's exposed king would be enough to win.

Galaad
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Galaad » 27 Mar 2016, 23:12

If the game goes on, trading queens seems inevitable, the white King is not an exploited piece but an active one for the final, but the pawns's coordination and their activation on the King's side will be decisive if the Bishop and the white Knight hold the horde of black pawns, then the Queen's side of the whites will be powerful and should lead them to certain victory.

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 27 Mar 2016, 23:18

Yet another reason for Black to force the draw, hehe..

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 18 Apr 2016, 23:23

Norway Chess kicks off today. Should be fun. :)

JamesGoblin

Unread postby JamesGoblin » 28 May 2016, 03:04

Kalah wrote:Norway Chess kicks off today. Should be fun. :)
Nah, Magnus made it "boring" again :)

BrennusWhiskey
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby BrennusWhiskey » 03 Jan 2017, 12:36

Someone who plays brilliantly always be boring for amateurs. But when people play always the human element plays an enormous role. You cannot calculate everything when the time expires... :)

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 04 Jan 2017, 00:06

I watched all the championship matches; it was good to see MC winning the proper chess again, yet I was hoping he'd take all three. I guess having some other guys winning too keeps the excitement up.

BrennusWhiskey
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby BrennusWhiskey » 04 Jan 2017, 10:06

Well last time Karjakin defeated him.

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 04 Jan 2017, 10:14

Yeah and that's the excitement; if the same guy wins everything all the time - sure, it's impressive, but it gets dull in the end.

BrennusWhiskey
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby BrennusWhiskey » 04 Jan 2017, 13:49

Yeah like Klitchko's in heavy boxing :)

Well at least in HOMM4 there are no world champion currently :)

Return to “Campfire”