MP Issues WoG/Era II

Official forum of the Wake of Gods mod to Heroes of Might and Magic III.
Dems
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

MP Issues WoG/Era II

Unread postby Dems » 25 Aug 2016, 17:44

This didn't actually post the first time I told it to, so hopefully two don't appear...

Hi heroes players. I'm having some issues playing multiplayer with my friend that essentially ruin our games. There are occasional crashes which is fine, but we get synchronization errors during battles that seem unavoidable with our current setup.

1) Sometimes one of us takes a turn in combat, but it does not register on the other player's game. We end up stuck thinking it's each other's turns, and the only solution is to quit and retry. Often, this happens in the middle of long combat and influences the outcome significantly.

2) Recently, our games have gone entirely out of sync during combat. The games often registers the other player's actions completely incorrectly. Example: I move my thunderbirds to attack my friend's Grand Elves. On my screen the attack is successful and I kill the stack. On my friend's screen my thunderbirds move 6 hexes down towards nothing and do nothing. The battle progresses independently on each player's screen, until we realize and quit. It happens almost every time now, and with almost every unit of every round of every battle.

When we played SoD, these problems never arose. We had occasional duplicate heroes and other weird crap, but never problems with synchronization. Our first few WoG games were clean too, and then this started happening. On Pol's suggestion, we installed Era II, and to our dismay, the problems continue. We like Era II and WoG and would like to stick with these programs, but we may be forced to return to SoD. I have found nothing about this in English online. We use GameRanger, though Hamachi has been a glitchy alternative in the past.

Please help! If there is more information I can give, just ask. We love this game and it troubles us that we cannot play. Thanks!

Pol
Admin
Admin

Re: MP Issues WoG/Era II

Unread postby Pol » 25 Aug 2016, 18:55

Well, considering Bersy's answer, from other times and forum:
Enhanced War Machines 2 is not for multiplayer.
Luck (option 206, script48) is buggy. It's ok if you don't have crashes in battles.
What scripts do you have enabled?

Anyway, because it happens on two different games, scripts may not be a culprit.

On what ports operate Game Ranger? These must be opened with unfiltered connection, especially if it's (and which is likely) UDP. Check in your firewall and AV if you created an exception for them.

I'm afraid that log won't help me. Although someone could make something from it, if you link it.
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

Dems
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Dems » 25 Aug 2016, 19:17

Pol wrote:Well, considering Bersy's answer, from other times and forum:
Enhanced War Machines 2 is not for multiplayer.
Luck (option 206, script48) is buggy. It's ok if you don't have crashes in battles.
What scripts do you have enabled?

Anyway, because it happens on two different games, scripts may not be a culprit.

On what ports operate Game Ranger? These must be opened with unfiltered connection, especially if it's (and which is likely) UDP. Check in your firewall and AV if you created an exception for them.

I'm afraid that log won't help me. Although someone could make something from it, if you link it.
I checked the ports and there were indeed no exceptions. I added them to my FW, AV, and router. Gameranger apparently uses port 16000. Later on, I will test with my friend. It would be great if that was the problem!

Please keep in mind that I know nothing about scripting nor how various error logs work. Is there a way I can generate an error log for you, or a quick way to show what scripts I have enabled?

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 25 Aug 2016, 19:37

As for settings you can capture them, PrintScrn may still work in fullscreen. (Then mspaint, Ctrl+P and save the imgae.) In windowed mode you may use whatever utility you like - I like the most IrfanView and his "C" shortcut.

However the windowed mode must be tweaked as is hinted on the page.

Error log in case of pure wog was presented in game folder, try to look for it here.
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

Dems
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Dems » 25 Aug 2016, 20:11

Pol wrote:As for settings you can capture them, PrintScrn may still work in fullscreen. (Then mspaint, Ctrl+P and save the imgae.) In windowed mode you may use whatever utility you like - I like the most IrfanView and his "C" shortcut.

However the windowed mode must be tweaked as is hinted on the page.

Error log in case of pure wog was presented in game folder, try to look for it here.
My guess is that an error log was never generated, since it doesn't pop up as an error. We simply notice that it happened and have to restart. Our WoG settings are below:

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 25 Aug 2016, 20:52

That's a lot of enabled scripts..

Does desync happen also when you disable them all?
What type of router you and your friend have?
Did you noticed anything strange when desync started to happen?
(firewall update, nearby storm, network driver update, same key pressed, hour of playing passed .. whatever actually)
I assume that you cannot try it in HotSeat to exclude network issue?
Simply anything to isolate the trouble.

Anyway, someone with more experience is needed for scripts or log. Either we may wait for Salamandre, Baratorch, BAD, GrayFace, ... to pop out. Or, and that certainly works with Salamandre, you may ask him directly here.

He's WoG expert, with plethora of experience on the field. :D
"We made it!"

Dems
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Dems » 25 Aug 2016, 21:18

Pol wrote:That's a lot of enabled scripts..

Does desync happen also when you disable them all?
What type of router you and your friend have?
Did you noticed anything strange when desync started to happen?
(firewall update, nearby storm, network driver update, same key pressed, hour of playing passed .. whatever actually)
I assume that you cannot try it in HotSeat to exclude network issue?
Simply anything to isolate the trouble.

Anyway, someone with more experience is needed for scripts or log. Either we may wait for Salamandre, Baratorch, BAD, GrayFace, ... to pop out. Or, and that certainly works with Salamandre, you may ask him directly here.

He's WoG expert, with plethora of experience on the field. :D
That's a good idea. I didn't think to try to isolate the problem. My friend is actually going to be at my house tonight in 3ish hours, so we can work on this. In the mean time, maybe I'll send Salamandre a message and to make him aware of the thread.

This all started happening after I put a new SSD into my computer. I had to reinstall everything (which is why I originally requested the patch in my other topic). I can't remember if ALL of our games since the reinstall have been like this... my gut tells me "no." It was definitely AFTER the reinstall though.

Another thing to note, our first problem was happening BEFORE the second problem started. We recently had a giant game where they both happened, and since that game, only the SECOND problem has been happening. Totally weird.

There doesn't seem to be any sort of pattern in terms of keys pressed or scenarios during gameplay.

Return to “Wake of Gods”