Important 2.0 tips & tricks

The game Might & Magic: Heroes VII, developed by Limbic Entertainment.
Antalyan
Peasant
Peasant

Important 2.0 tips & tricks

Unread postby Antalyan » 13 Aug 2016, 14:34

As these changes have not been officially highlighted and the majority of people probably don't know about them, I created this thread of useful new half-official ways how to get these improvements work.

It would be nice if it could be pinned in order to get to more people to read it. I will update this original post if any other tricks appear.

How to get improved flanking, where you can choose the orientation of units?
You can select a direction to where the creature will look when issuing a movement command. To do this, you need to select a tile on the combat map, by pressing down the left mouse button, then the arrows will indicate where your creature will face after moving.

How to enable new random skilling for campaigns?
Go to the location of your game:

MMH7 > MMH7Game > Config >DefaultGame.txt (will open as notepad)

do Ctrl-F search the word 'Skill'

It will take you down to a [MMH7Game.H7RndSkillManager]

Underneath that it will say this

mFullRndSkills=false
mNumOfferAbilites = 2
mNumOfferSkills = 3

If you turn False to True you will enable skilling in all campaign maps.

You can also try to change the numbers (mNumOfferAbilites/Skils = X) to change the amount of skills offered to your hero during leveling up. It's, however, unsure how it will work due to these numbers dynamically changing.

If the bug when you have empty list of available skills happens, open your skilwheel page and double click on a skill. You will learn that skill. After that, the next level up will work ordinary.

This change also provides you random skills in all multiplayer games.

SKILLING IN CAMPAIGNS:
When using random skilling, my hero is still losing skills between campaign missions; what to do?
When using classical skilling, how to change the skills my hero has access to?

You have to change the predefined class data of the hero in map editor. Fortunately, it is quite easy:
1) Download the Campaign folder from this link
2) Copy the content of downloaded folder (H7CampaignHeroes.upk and H7CampaignHeroes_2.upk) to:
gamefolder\Might and Magic Heroes VII\MMH7Game\CookedPC\Editor\Templates\Campaign
(overwrite data: yes) - make sure to create backup
3) Open MMH7 Editor in an Unreal mod - open Content Browser
4) Find the files H7CampaignHeroes.upk and H7CampaignHeroes_2.upk and under right click, choose "Fully Load" if it is available
5) Open the properties of the hero you are playing for in the campaign
6) In properties, make sure the "Override hero class skills" is checked
7) In properties, right click each skill and you can change the skills the hero has access to and/or up to which rank. When using classical skilling, make sure you still keep 3GM/3major/4 minor ones. When using random skilling, you need only to change "Tier of this skill" to Grandmaster for each skill. Or if you are planning to learn another skill which is not among those ones, replace any one skill with the one you wish to learn. However, the game will still use the percentages for the original class.
8) Save the package, you're done

Example: Ivan in H7CampaignHeroes_2.upk is already modified for random skilling. The prime magic (9) was replaced by defense and all skills can be learnt as GM which means they won't disappear among missions and in GUI.

What are the percentages for partcicular skills for particular hero classes?
See the sheet with numbers: Skill percentages

What to do to make the game more difficult than it is?
Unless you're a talented programmer, you can't probably change the AI behaviour with AI Scripts modding tutorial.
However, you can still do several easy steps:

Creature growth/resources: Open the folder H7Config in MMH7 Editor (MMH7Game/CookedPC/Data/H7Config). Fully load, open H7AdventureConfig properties and under difficulty, you can increase the AI creature growth & resources multiplier. Don't forget to save thepackage afterwards.

Spells/skills: If you download the files mentioned above which fix skilling in campaigns, you can go to these files to change the properties of enemy heroes: you can teach them some powerful spells or skills or give them some stat bonuses. Don't forget to save thepackage afterwards.

How to call a caravan at any location at the adventure map?
To do call a caravan to any location, one should press the button in the SE corner of the adventure map: Caravans
A torch will appear at the hero's location. Click on the flag above the torch to open army recruitment window. Select a town where from you'd like to call a caravan and make a recruitment.
When the caravan arrive at the camp, you will be able to enter the camp by clicking on the torch like on any other building.

How to make any hero defend a garrison or fort?
Enter the building and drag hero's portrait to the empty slot. From now, this hero will stay INSIDE the building behind the walls in the combat.

How to choose players you want to play with in Multiplayer mod?
If you create the Multiplayer game, starting from the Patch 2.0, the game will be visible only for your Uplay friends.
If you want to give the other players an opportunity to play with you, you have to press the make map open button in thr SE corner of the launching screen. Then the map should appear in the map list for all players.

Where to find the interactive map of Ashan, the world H7 is situated in?
You can find it on this link: Ashan World Map

How to create bigger maps in the game?
Go to the location of your game:

MMH7 > MMH7Game > Config >DefaultGame.txt (will open as notepad)

do Ctrl-F search the word 'cenable'

It will take you down to a [MMH7Game.H7RandomMapWindowCntl]

It will say this: cEnableBigMaps = false

If you turn False to True you will enable enable creation of big RMG maps (200x200 and 300x300) in multiplayer.
Note: all parties must have a very good internet and uplay connection.

Where to find any fan maps or mods for H7?
Hommdb
Maps4heroes
Don't forget to uninstall all mods as soon as new game update comes!

Some very good mods compatible with the final version of the game (2.21):

Ready to install
Scaled Creatures by Mr3Lion
New Combat Maps by Romansen
Unoffical Community Mod (the largest bugfix)

Work in progress
Wryn Pendragon: Umbramancer by Lord Graa (fan expansion)
Alternative Creatures Mod by Acid Dragon
Ashan to the Trashcan Mod by Lizzard Warrior
Conflux in H7

Are there any tutorials how to use the map editor?
You can find some guides here: Hommdb
For more complex modding knowledge, see World of Heroes videos

How to make H7 starting faster without the beginning animations?
1) Open the folder "Movies" on the "MMH7 Game" folder
2) Find all files starting with "Startup_"
3) Change the suffix of these files to anything else or simply delete these files if you don't want to run them any more.

What to do if H7 doesn't work as intended?
Bugs:
Ubisoft has decided to abandon the game support and leave the game unfinished. However, unlike Ubisoft, the community will not disappoint you. Join the community effort to fix H7!
1) Report the bugs to the 2.21 buglist thread: http://heroescommunity.com/viewthread.php3?TID=43654
2) Download the latest bugfix version from that thread
3) Follow the instructions in thread if you want to try to fix the bugs.

Singleplayer & launching issues:
1) Verify your game files in Uplay
2) Run the app with administrators' rights
3) In the case you are using Windows 10, run the app with W7 or W8 compatibility
Multiplayer issues:
1) There is an official guide what to do if you encounter any MP problems: Ubi Guide

If any of the issues are still persisting:
contact Ubisoft support

If you have any other tips which should be mentioned, please, write them below.
Last edited by Antalyan on 07 Dec 2017, 16:10, edited 8 times in total.
Wryn Pendragon Umbranacer community H7 project: http://wpu.worldofheroes.cz/indexEN.html
H7 Unoffical Community Mod

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Re: Important 2.0 tips & tricks

Unread postby Kalah » 13 Aug 2016, 18:05

Nice info. Thanks for your efforts. :)
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 21 Aug 2016, 06:48

Removing intro cinematics (ie mostly logos), when launching the game:
* Lookup folder "Movies", it's within the game folder
* Rename all files starting with "Startup_" to something else

src: ~worldofheroes.cz
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 25 Aug 2016, 18:51

Out of Sync issues - official answer from Ubisoft.
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

Antalyan
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Antalyan » 26 Aug 2016, 13:46

Info updated, thanks Pol for suggestions :)
Wryn Pendragon Umbranacer community H7 project: http://wpu.worldofheroes.cz/indexEN.html

cjlee
Spectre
Spectre

Unread postby cjlee » 12 Sep 2016, 19:22

Um...

I have been playing H7 recently without paying attention to skilling. I just wanted to explore the possibilities of various standard hero types and classes.

Now I am a bit puzzled about the random skilling and free skilling references. It seems that you now can fill in your own skill wheel? How does that happen? Did I miss something? Is my Heroes 7 v2.1 somehow not properly updated?

cjlee
Spectre
Spectre

Unread postby cjlee » 13 Sep 2016, 09:53

I did the manual file checking thing just in case auto-update hasn't been working properly. The bugs are still there.

Tried playing a bit of the Random Skilling thing. Didn't really find it much of an improvement since you don't have much control over the skills being offered to your heroes.

By this point I'm almost done with Heroes 7. I don't think there's that much more that I can get out of it. It's just not cost/time effective to play a game so infested with bugs. Guys, if there's anything you're interested in having me test or talk about just let me know. I might uninstall the game this Sunday for good.

Antalyan
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Antalyan » 13 Sep 2016, 15:13

@cjlee
Unfortunately the 2.1 hotfix did not fix some bugs it should, hopefully 2.2 one will do so.
Random skilling is interesting in you can reach any grandmaster from the skills you want and you have an access to/choice from more skills. It is pretty similar to H5 one.

cjlee
Spectre
Spectre

Unread postby cjlee » 13 Sep 2016, 18:24

Thanks Antalyan,

in practice I have found that the new skilling system isn't that great. Not having a premade menu offers freedom, but because you can't choose from a menu, now you are back to the old H5 and before system where you can only choose from the few skill types that computer is willing to offer you. So far I have levelled 2 Sylvan heroes to lvl15, and not once did I get offered a skill type that is different from that traditionally offered to Sylvan: Defence, Nature's Revenge/ Racial Skill, Earth Magic, Light Magic, Logistics, Luck/Destiny. Until level 14 when my magic hero was offered Water Magic, which I didn't really want but accepted anyway because I needed 8 Arcane Knowledge points in order to learn level 4 spells. Level 15 was again Water Magic, so now I've wound up becoming a Water Expert which I did not want.

Load and save didn't change matters.

I understand the system has been set up such that other skills such as Dark Magic are given very low probability.

I think the criticism of the skilling system/ menu went overboard. They have practically returned us to the old system where it is very difficult and unpredictable to get skills that are rare. That's why I am talking about uninstalling Heroes7. I have explored most of the standard hero builds. Unless I can explore unusual builds (eg a Storm Lord Sylvan hero, ie with grandmaster air magic), a Dark Knight Ornella (Haven hero with Dark Magic), a Gauldoth Half Dead (Necromancer with Grandmaster Light Magic and Leadership capable of leading both undead legions and living troops), I am losing interest in H7.

Antalyan
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Antalyan » 20 Oct 2016, 15:52

Final game version update!
- Added mod list, percentages for skills
- Improved technical support information

Antalyan
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Antalyan » 19 Mar 2017, 16:13

Important 3 information added:
- How to make the game more difficult
- How to fix problems with skilling in campaign
- Where to go to fix bugs

Return to “Heroes VII”