So is this game worth buying?

The game Might & Magic: Heroes VII, developed by Limbic Entertainment.
cjlee
Spectre
Spectre

Re: So is this game worth buying?

Unread postby cjlee » 17 Dec 2015, 13:46

Panda Tar wrote:Well, if only 100 were made in the year, maybe it'd appear in spite of itself.
If there were 100 non Ubisoft products made that year, I quite doubt if anything made by Ubisoft could make it into the top 100.

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 17 Dec 2015, 18:07

Er, just checked some people complaining about online chat in multiplayer games, it seems that players cannot chat with each other within game in MP. How odd is that, I wonder?
"There’s nothing to fear but fear itself and maybe some mild to moderate jellification of bones." Cave Johnson, Portal 2. :panda:

cjlee
Spectre
Spectre

Unread postby cjlee » 17 Dec 2015, 18:23

Panda Tar wrote:Er, just checked some people complaining about online chat in multiplayer games, it seems that players cannot chat with each other within game in MP. How odd is that, I wonder?
Its another of the features that makes Heroes such an awesomely unique game.

In the 1990s the multiplayer games I played had in game chat features. That resulted in people pumping out vulgar teenage insults and taunts.

In their infinite genius, Limpsoft Ubic now have multiplayer games without chat. NO more insults and taunts. Well done!

:lolu:

Karmakeld
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby Karmakeld » 17 Dec 2015, 19:46

Please take good note that we do not consider Heroes VII as under budgeted project and never mentioned this idea. Our devs are doing their best to deliver an amazing Heroes experience with quality gameplay and hours and hours of fun thanks to exciting Factions and tools. This is our vision. Even if 3D towns and unique mounts are great features, and we do not deny that, this shouldn't prevent us from doing a good Heroes game in the end. Exciting news and reveals are approaching so keep faith
So once again we're let to conclude that once more Ubisoft's statement has been misunderstood. Much like the fans expecting the actual game in the Collectors Editon, Limbic has misunderstood what their budget actually was/is. Or maybe Ubisoft just has another view at how the budget should be, and what to expect from the given budget, and Limbic just thought is was underbudgeted, which in fact it wasn't. (Perhaps they should both take a course in Communication..)
Anyway, it's fortunate that the developers managed to include the skill Patch-finding in the game, as well as an Endless Bag of Gold. I'm surprised how much money can be found for patching. I mean, they've stated the budget was tight, thus alot of things couldn't be done within the budget, but there is enough money to send out patches which, by looking at the patching lists, seems to have taken quite alot of work to do. There's no doubt that a buggy game should be fixed, but all of a sudden, the Endless Bag of Patching-Gold was found and opened? ;| I don't get it. Or maybe patching expenses comes from another account? :libra: Ah, maybe patching expenses can be tax refunded, as it's similar to charity, 'coz they're doing something good for all those frustrated fans who bought the game and labeled it "unfisnished".
I'm silent in seven languages - and I got all my familys fear.
Everytime you throw dirt, you loose a little ground

Karmakeld
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby Karmakeld » 17 Dec 2015, 19:54

Cjlee wrote:
In their infinite genius, Limpsoft Ubic now have multiplayer games without chat. NO more insults and taunts. Well done!
Cjlee, that is indeed brilliant. MMORPG's should include that aswell, that way they can also save a lot of money on chat moderators, cutting the budget even more.. Or maybe Ubisoft own's the rights to that idea..? :devious:

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 17 Dec 2015, 20:36

Or maybe, just let players decide when or who they want to listen. Dota 2, which might be currently the only MP game I play, we can mute others. We are left only to hope the other players won't suck or feed intentionally. :lol:

And another spam breakout at SC.
"There’s nothing to fear but fear itself and maybe some mild to moderate jellification of bones." Cave Johnson, Portal 2. :panda:

mr.hackcrag
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby mr.hackcrag » 18 Dec 2015, 04:44

Panda Tar wrote:Er, just checked some people complaining about online chat in multiplayer games, it seems that players cannot chat with each other within game in MP. How odd is that, I wonder?
That is not a bug, it is a feature. Now there are less people cursing Ubi to hell in-game.

cjlee
Spectre
Spectre

Unread postby cjlee » 18 Dec 2015, 13:00

mr.hackcrag wrote:
That is not a bug, it is a feature. Now there are less people cursing Ubi to hell in-game.
Seriously, does Uplay even work reliably enough to have multiplayer games? I remember most people had a lot of trouble even getting access back in H6.

Galaad
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Galaad » 18 Dec 2015, 13:17

I call it Ucan'tPlay. :tongue:

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 23 Dec 2015, 04:37

Ah, really, they ask for flame, don't they? The promised Axeoth dlc, which should have been presented this year, was just announced for February. Also, it seems that there won't be patches until January, you know, to fix a bit more the game? Three months since release ... dear me. And Steam offering 50% discount in all MM franchise. It speaks loads.

cjlee
Spectre
Spectre

Unread postby cjlee » 23 Dec 2015, 08:35

Panda Tar wrote:Ah, really, they ask for flame, don't they? The promised Axeoth dlc, which should have been presented this year, was just announced for February. Also, it seems that there won't be patches until January, you know, to fix a bit more the game? Three months since release ... dear me. And Steam offering 50% discount in all MM franchise. It speaks loads.
This is the uncomfortable reality about gaming.

If you preorder and pay full price, you get the game in the worst possible shape.

If you wait 3 months, you get some decent patching and 50% discount.

By Christmas next year, Heroes 7 will be history. It will also (hopefully) be properly patched. And it will be on sale at 25% the original price.

That's why I am not making a move yet.

Danny
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Danny » 23 Dec 2015, 10:40

Yeah, I'm also thinking about buying the game later in 2016, maybe by Easter we're gonna hear about possible expansions? Or if they abandon the game by mid-2016 then there will be discount opportunity.

Galaad
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Galaad » 23 Dec 2015, 11:22

cjlee wrote:This is the uncomfortable reality about gaming.
I really see two sides of the mirror. On one hand you have companies like Ubi asking for flaming yes, could not say it better myself, on the other you have Witcher 3 delivering like hell or Larian Studios making an Enhanced Edition of Divinity Original Sin just for the community, and what is the result: excellent game, excellent critics, excellent sales, sequel already on its way.

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 23 Dec 2015, 15:49

Heroes VII is currently being sold on Steam for -50%.

At that price, it's worth buying.
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

cjlee
Spectre
Spectre

Unread postby cjlee » 23 Dec 2015, 15:58

Reading the reviews and looking at youtube, I feel very sad about Divinity: Original Sin.
I'm too old to play it - not enough time. I must not get started because it will screw up my life and real responsibilities.

But I really still do not understand why Heroes 7 has such poor graphics compared with other games. I can't understand why Ubisoft has such poor quality products. Surely a business that produces many games is aware that every product should be done well or not at all? The gaming market is such that a relatively small number of games gets all the attention, so a mediocre product won't get sales at all.

That said, Kalah, I am not enthusiastic about Heroes7 even at 50% off now, because I'm not sure if the next patch will kill all my savegames and require me to replay. And what about that bug where you can't see any neutral creatures? I am not keen to play battles where I can't see my enemies, even if it is the rare time when you have to fight neutral wandering stacks.

Galaad
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Galaad » 23 Dec 2015, 16:06

Kalah wrote:At that price, it's worth buying.
:disagree:
cjlee wrote:Reading the reviews and looking at youtube, I feel very sad about Divinity: Original Sin.
I'm too old to play it - not enough time. I must not get started because it will screw up my life and real responsibilities.
Is pretty classic RPG with turn-based combats, you can go Explorer mode and play it casually for immersion no problem. I love playing it but still have time for my life responsibilities, really worth it IMO.

EDIT: And just visually, I really wish newer Heroes would look more like this game. This kind of world makes me dream, so far away from what we got with Bullshan. :ill:

Karmakeld
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby Karmakeld » 04 Mar 2016, 21:05

a reply to Cjlee, it may have been in another tread, I really don't remember, but it's seems like you can acutally do some of the stuff they do in the official campaigns, atleast that some comfort. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64mExOD ... e=youtu.be
Just out of curiousity, does anyone know if any fan made maps has been made for H7?

cjlee
Spectre
Spectre

Unread postby cjlee » 06 Mar 2016, 14:41

Karmakeld, that's the way to go!

I am not a mapmaker, but you did exactly the right thing. If celestialheavens accumulated all that knowledge over time, every budding mapmaker would find it straightforward to get his special effects done right.

right now survival of H7 is still in doubt. I haven't decided if it is worth buying, for instance.

Karmakeld
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby Karmakeld » 07 Mar 2016, 22:52

I should note the video is NOT my creation, but it might be useful for potential H7 mapmakers to have a link to those vid's (from what I read somewhere, it seemed the author tried to cover all 'special campaign effects' in various videos.) I'll give Kalah a hint one of the upcoming days.
Edit: I see Kalah has already posted a news article about it, missed it earlier.

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 07 Mar 2016, 23:04

Yes, it seems that maps for MM:H7 are going aplenty. At least when compared to its predecessor.

map4heroes have some.
Or there on hommdb.com, which looks like a completely new site. :D
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

Return to “Heroes VII”