Need to mod one problem out of the game. H3

Mods and development for mods. Including WoG & Equilibris (RU) subforums.
OrganizedChaos
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Need to mod one problem out of the game. H3

Unread postby OrganizedChaos » 04 Jul 2012, 08:11

Hello,
while I don't expect to get lucky with this, I will still drop this post here with hope of fishing for useful information regarding my problem. This way when all fails I will know that at least I tried my best.

I am trying to make a really balanced and action packed map for multiplayer. I use the "vanilla" heroes 3 SOD (complete 4.0 or something) with a HD mod exe, but I am willing to use the normal exe if necessary.

The problem I am encountering is this weird crap that all the underground part of the map is always considered subterranean and Dungeon town has an advantage in unit speed because game regards them being on their native terrain regardless of me using grass,dirt,poop, whatever. I think this is really dumb because one town has advantage on HALF OF SPACE AVAILABLE. Another thing that bugs me and is related to this - battle grounds in the underground are always this crappy same cave that gets boring very fast.

If anyone knows modding or something useful like links to modding guides - please help me out. I really want game to consider terrain I use, and not some poorly thought out game mechanic over my choices.

Regards to all who is still enjoying this wonderful game in 2012 and years to come.

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 04 Jul 2012, 08:46

That's just plainly normal. Dungeon rule whole underground, including mines from the surface.

They only way how to modify this, is via ERM in WoG.
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

OrganizedChaos
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby OrganizedChaos » 04 Jul 2012, 13:53

WoG crashes regularily on my win7. If this can be done on WoG it can be done on normal game with some code edits, I am just waiting for someone who knows how to.

I know it is normal, but I am not satisfied of hows its done. I want game to jundge terrain type by terrain type under heroes feet, not consider whole underground half of map as dungeon teritory, its dumb, and its a waste of map space to have it all be "ruled" by dungeon.

OrganizedChaos
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby OrganizedChaos » 04 Jul 2012, 14:33

I repeat myself - this is a major map balance issue in my eyes.

Imagine this situation:
You are making a balanced 8 player map. You want to put 4 players on top half of it and 4 players on the bottom half of it. With the way things are now the top players will benefit from native terrain on top and lets say we divide the the map space evenly and use their native terrain. Now we have the map control in regard of native terrain advantage divided like this - 4 players having benefits on 1/8 of the map each, 3 players having NO BENEFIT at all and dungeon player having 4/8 of the map. How is this fair in your opinion?

You are faced with hard choice to put 7 players on top and 1 on the bottom but then its gets too tight on top and too empty on bottom. Or to have it like the latter where dungeon has unfair advantage.

Do you enjoy any of the choices you have at this point? Because I don't.

mr.hackcrag
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby mr.hackcrag » 06 Aug 2012, 01:36

I think they get the advantage because it's dark and sneaky underground, but it is pretty stupid and ugly. They should have at least get a penalty for being over ground. Anyway, I'm useless for this task. :baby:

Return to “Modcrafting Guild”