Dominions 4 (OUT NOW)

Because we play other games too.
Best Deals, MoM, Fanstratics
igoraki
Scout
Scout

Dominions 4 (OUT NOW)

Unread postby igoraki » 18 Jun 2013, 20:10

Dominions 4 is under development. It has been under development for quite some time and it has come long enough that we feel certain that it will be completed. More information will come later.

http://www.illwinter.com/dom4/index.html

So far its only a site with no useful info there,but at least we know its under development...
On Desura,however i have found post from Edi,person obviously close to Illwinter boys.
Yes, UI is new. It is along the lines of the CoE3 UI. The CoE3 UI is moddable, so I expect that even if the Dom4 UI won't be at release, it will become so in a patch. I'll need to ask Johan about that.

EDIT: Except the elements in the Dom4 UI look better out of the box than the CoE3 UI elements.

And unit information and other stuff looks a lot better right now. You can also see all kinds of stuff straight away that you previously had to go one level deeper to see, such as attack and total damage output values for each attack of the unit as well as the type of damage it does.
Last edited by Anonymous on 11 Oct 2013, 10:55, edited 1 time in total.
"You cannot make a baby in a month with nine women."

igoraki
Scout
Scout

Unread postby igoraki » 23 Jun 2013, 10:41

Dominions 4 improvements
Here's a short list with the most important changes compared to Dominions 3.

Teamplay, one pretender and one or more disciples per team.
Thrones of Ascension. Claim thrones to gain extra powers and to win the game eventually.
Many sprites have been redrawn and the 3d terrain is also improved.
Many user interface improvements.
Formations like line formation or skirmish formation.
Improved random map generation with wraparound maps, caves, rivers and mountain passes.
Rivers that can only be passed when frozen, mountain passes that can only be passed by special units and when it's warm.
Pierce, slash and blunt weapons have slightly different quirks. E.g. don't shoot arrows at skeletons.
Darkness and dark vision plays a more important role. Notably in deep seas, caves and sometimes during assassinations.
Range restrictions on magic rituals and items and spells that can be used to boost ritual ranges.
Improved network support, turns can be resumed from any computer and turns can be marked as only half finished.
Global random events
Can build castle improvements like extra towers or extra supply storage
Province Defence dependent on the local population and some nations have easier or harder to organize it.
Improvements to AI and to modding.
Many new monsters, spells, magic items, sites, random events and some nations too.

igoraki
Scout
Scout

Unread postby igoraki » 09 Jul 2013, 17:12

Page has been updated with few pictures and some new text,so if you care about this game,go check it out...pre-ordering will soon be possible

igoraki
Scout
Scout

Unread postby igoraki » 20 Sep 2013, 19:06

The game is not yet released. Preliminary release date is sept 28th, but a playable beta is available as soon as you buy the game...

igoraki
Scout
Scout

Unread postby igoraki » 11 Oct 2013, 10:56

Game was finally released yesterday...

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 11 Oct 2013, 15:56

Any reviews?
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 20 Oct 2013, 19:34

The game is relatively fresh but I found one. And some smallers.

What sounds impressive are game requirements - which are pretty low.
The game can be played on Windows, Linux and Mac OSX and does not require a very new computer. A 5 year old computer should be able to run this game just fine. About 500 MB hard drive space is needed and your computer needs at least 1 GB ram.
And modding support, all included for a friendly price.

It would be interesting to know more about this indie game. As I never played anything from Dominion series.

(And compare it to Fallen Enchantress & others. )
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

igoraki
Scout
Scout

Unread postby igoraki » 21 Oct 2013, 15:08

Pol wrote:The game is relatively fresh but I found one. And some smallers.
Have try to find some official reviews but failed,so thanks for the effort,however second link is sort of short reviews left by the ppl who bought the game,fans and not gaming site or magazine,so i guess that does not fit into official...

Two reviews,one in German and one in Italian language

For those of you already familiar with Dominion,here is What’s new
Pol wrote:And modding support, all included for a friendly price.
There was great amount of mods for Dom 3,but since i dont have that version of the game,cant really post any usefull comment...
Price used to be 50$ when game was sold through Sharpnel Games,so its much better now with 35$,i get descount for preordering so it was 30$

As for comparison with other games,its different then other fantasy strategies out there...

Fallen Enchantress is similar to Age of Wonders and Master of Magic,but with a bit simplistic battles and more focussed of building and researching,somehow closer to Civilisation in that department.Imho of course,didnt try the new versions,actually i played when it was still Elemental,maybe its different now

In Dominion,building is minimal,you are more focused on building your army.Army is composed of heroes leading the troops and fighting in battles if you want them to and magicians casting the spells,so quite similar to any fantasy strategy,however big difference is the fact you dont actually control anything in the battle,you just give general orders and watch the battle.So you can order your cavalry to go for the archers,your archers to fire arrows on opponents infantry and so on,but you cant tell this swordman to go and attack that opponent pikeman.Heroes can be scripted a bit more then common soldiers,but its still limited...must admit i didnt like this very much when i started playing,but you get used to it.

Game is really deep and offers many options to fight your opponents.Even when playing against same race or faction,you can meet very different armies and magicians casting completely different spells on battlefield.how is that possible ? Unlike Heroes games,you dont have weekly growth or anything similar.You can get as many soldiers as you like limited only with amount of money and resources you have(some troops do have daily limit but thats just most powerfull few).So one player will build its strategy around archers,buying 50 of them every turn and researching spells that improve precision.Player number two can ignore archers and build only pikemens,20 of them each turn and developing spells that offer extra protection and hit points increase to make them more durable in battle and third player can get only angels,5 of those every turn and research offensive spells to help them kill the opponents army in battle...you can also win battles using fear spells and abilities that will lower the moral of your enemy and make them flee,since every unit is slowly getting tired when fighting and casting spells,you can also try to use magic that reinvigorate your troops and you will win simply by being able to move on the battlefield while your enemys troops are too exhausted to defend...am talking here about various ways to win single battle,there are multiply ways to win war too,one being to kill your opponents by force and magic,but you can also kill them with your religious infuence,better known as your Dominion,if you spread it in his kingdom and he dont have a single province left where he is dominant,he will be vanished,new addition are Thrones of Ascesion,if you conquer and keep certain number of them,you can also win that way...many options and different strategies at your disposal.

Important and very interesting aspect of the game is you as God.You are present in the game and how you build your God,so called pretender, is very important.For example,if you are playing nation that likes cold,snow and ice,you will pick Gods ability cold and make it strong and he will spread cold weather whenever he goes and all provincies that are under his religious influence will slowly become cold,too.Your God also can be good fighter,great magician or he can be good blacksmith,forging artifacts for your heroes...again,many different choices.

Magic is another interesting part of the game with more then 800 spells available.You need to reasearch spells to be able to use them,then you need to have magician that is actually able to cast it,since all spells requiere some sort of magical knowledge.Magic is used not only on battlefield, but also to summon powerfull monsters,various heroes,build magic equipment or even affect the whole world.For example,if you have troops that can see in the dark,you can cast spells that will cover the world in total darkness,giving all others great penalties.

Eveny single unit in game is individual,you can put your soldiers in squads,but game will remember if some of them have wounds,scars,loose some body parts or if they are experienced veterans from many battles.Every soldier and hero have many stats like attack,strenght,defence,protection,hit points,fatigue...good news is you can click on any word and you will get explanation what does that perticular statistics do,even check why does hero have that value,for example his natural attack is 9,great sword he is using atm add +3 so his attack is 12,you can find all that with just one click,bad news is, there is plenty of places to click,lots of informations to read and understand.

Am sure i forgot many other things game have to offer,but those are most important highlights for me,let me just add that number of nations available for play is really big and they are devided into 3 ages,some nations disappear in certain age,some just change a bit, but number is still bigger then in the any other game i know of.
There will be no demo for Dominions 4 soon,but you can try demo for Dominion 3 and while its a different game,it will give you pretty good idea whats going on and what you can expect.

Hope this helps somehow,am not good in writing reviews

igoraki
Scout
Scout

Unread postby igoraki » 30 Oct 2013, 20:33

igoraki
Scout
Scout

Re: Dominions 4 (OUT NOW)

Unread postby igoraki » 12 Oct 2015, 09:31

Small bump, am still playing this game two years till the release and am far from being a veteran.
Current version is 4.22 and developers are adding new contest regularly, fixing bugs and making changes to balance the nations all free of charge.
You can find it with great discount on Steam every now and then, word of warning dont buy it from Desura

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 13 Oct 2015, 18:54

Igoraki, seeing some screens from this game, another game came into my mind, I think it was Romancing Saga 3. There was this mini-game with battles between armies, and they looked so alike this Dominions. I'll put it in my Wishlist and wait for a discount. There are other 45 games in that list, so any discount is welcome. :D
"There’s nothing to fear but fear itself and maybe some mild to moderate jellification of bones." Cave Johnson, Portal 2. :panda:

igoraki
Scout
Scout

Unread postby igoraki » 14 Oct 2015, 13:42

Well, am really glad if i managed to sparkle some interest for this game.

You can download demo for previous version here to check if you actually like the game. While new version have improvements, you will get pretty good idea whats going on from that demo, since the basic gameplay is unchanged.

As for discount, saw it more then once with 20-30% off the price, but every once in a while Steam give some super discount (like 70% ) but only for one day.While it may look like am advertizing Steam, am actually against using their service, however Desura and company that own it are in some serious troubles. So there is a strong possibility you wont get the game if you buy it from them, and also strong possibility that developers wont get their share of money.Gamersgate also sell the game but i personally never used them,so dont know if they are reliable and whats going on.

If you want any other information, just ask

Game(still in development) that look very much like Dominion, That Which Sleeps

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 14 Oct 2015, 14:00

Thanks for your information. I'll probably get from Steam due the easier way to manage these things and portability.
"There’s nothing to fear but fear itself and maybe some mild to moderate jellification of bones." Cave Johnson, Portal 2. :panda:

cjlee
Spectre
Spectre

Unread postby cjlee » 03 Nov 2015, 03:52

why is it that even an indie studio can make a much better game than Ubisoft?

I really wish someone out there would produce a HOMM-like game. King's bounty didn't come close enough. I'm sure many of us fans would be more than happy to transfer our loyalties (and monies) to the right people.

igoraki
Scout
Scout

Unread postby igoraki » 22 Dec 2015, 18:52

If somebody is still interested for this game, Steam now give 50% discount and offer ends 4 Januar.
Another game from the same developer worth checking, Conquest of Elysium 4 is also on discount, but only 25%.

Warning : Both games have very very old school graphics,more like to Master of Magic then HoMM
Dominion is really deep strategy and require great amount of in game knowledge to be played competitively.
Conquest of Elysium 4 is much lighter and faster game, kinda closer to HoMM in spirit, but with some really interesting and unique options and choices for every race
Check gameplay videos on youtube before buying would be my recommendation

igoraki
Scout
Scout

Unread postby igoraki » 18 May 2016, 18:00

WEEK LONG DEAL! Offer ends 23 May save -40% from 31,99€ to 19,19€
as i said before, do check gameplay videos on youtube to avoid disappointment with graphics

mr.hackcrag
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby mr.hackcrag » 22 May 2016, 19:35

I thought this thread was going to be about Dominos. :(

Return to “Hall of the Heretics”