Will of Asha Walkthrough Started

Feedback for the articles that appear on Celestial Heavens.
ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 01 Nov 2007, 11:57

not really... 20 extra vamps per week is a lot of troops.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

mmontgomery
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Tribes of the East → Will of Asha → Last Soul St

Unread postby mmontgomery » 13 Jun 2008, 15:12

The Lich building upgrade should not be ignored, as suggested. Getting 2 raise deads, or 1 raise dead and 2 suffering from each stack of upgraded Liches is well worth it. For the most part, I don't spend my limited resources on zombies and wights, so this allows me to have up to 3 stacks of Lich Masters. Most combats end up being fought with no casualties using this strategy.

For difficult battles, it is best to make one of the 3 stack Arch Liches, which can cast weakness at an expert level, so that the targetted stack always does the minimum possible combat damage. Combine this with advanced suffering, which drops the attack level by 9, and the stack is doing 45% less than its minimum possible combat damage. This can pull the teeth of an otherwise very dangerous stack.

No matter which upgrades you choose, the lich upgrades are too good to ignore.

Maciek
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Maciek » 20 Aug 2009, 18:51

I chose vamps and I think it was a good choice. It was easier to protect them in the battle with manticores (I must say that I got lucky with obstacles then). So after that battle I had my intact stack of vamps, 33 archers and a bone dragon. Town A was quite heavily defended (200+ skele warriors, 50+ rot zombies and others), but some skeletons and skelly archers joined me south of the town, so I preserved most of my army then. And here's a dirty little trick against town B that I discovered by chance: wait for them to have more stacks (week 3 is late enough) and attack them with their hero in town (I mean visiting the town). Then they have more than 7 stacks so some of them are automatically dismissed when you attack. Since the hero already had 7 stacks (all 6 available upgraded tiers + vamp princes), all 250+ skele warriors, 24 lich maters and almost a hundred rot zombies were out. That turned a hard battle into a trivial one.

aynako15
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby aynako15 » 26 Aug 2009, 11:04

nice guide. although i would like to point out that you'll have to wait until month 1 week 4 before u can take on the stacks surrounding the hillfort. just be patient and dont rush them (u'll lose)
Edited on Wed, Aug 26 2009, 07:34 by aynako15

rwaldbiesser
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby rwaldbiesser » 13 Feb 2010, 20:32

How do you defeat the Balrogs guarding the gate near the Southern town? I have had huge armies killed by these guys.

Dstr
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Dstr » 12 Apr 2010, 20:57

same as nebs... didnt take the 2nd town, army production + frenzy was enough...

lol I couldnt find the 2nd dragon slot :) i reached town C in the last possible day and took all stats bonus :)))

Kardszy
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Kardszy » 17 Nov 2011, 18:50

The 2nd part of the key (if that is what you meant) is just east of the 2nd town, so you might as well take it if you are there.

btw I too had lich masters, they are great help with your low mana at resurrecting, plus the 3 move points of other tipes really makes your army slow. Oh, and the vampire prince was great against liveing stacks (puit them to sleep almost all the time) and about the banshees: was very supprised how much dmg that nuke did, with the super low morale after howl of terror (plus spectral and maybe a rot zombie nearby) it would do even more - it really beats that "kill JUST one creature and remove blessings" ability.

As for the DE, it IS too much of a nerf, but getting mentor with one of your heroes, you can get a few necromancers to contribute a nice amount to it each.
Edited on Thu, Nov 17 2011, 13:52 by Kardszy

Kardszy
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Kardszy » 18 Nov 2011, 20:39

"usually of the same tier and the same upgrade level. For example, Imperial Griffins are raised into Vampire Lords."

Nope, the system is different, it it more like: when killed units are ------lower lvl archers then upg. skeletons,

-if high lvl shooters and/or casters then lich,

-lizards, knights, berserker, slayer, scubbus (? O.o) become vampires,

-meele higher lvl like raksha, titan, pit lord, devil, cyclops, thane and for some reason wyrens (the word actually means dragon) become wraiths

-sylvan and dungeon dragons plus manticores become

bone/gh. or spec. dragons

-hounds, wolfs, griffins and even dryads (those that don't fit in any cathergory and not high lvl) become ghosts

FOR THE COMPLETE LIST JUST LOOK UP IN HEROES V TOE MANUAL :)
Edited on Fri, Nov 18 2011, 15:41 by Kardszy

ShadowLiberal
Golem
Golem

Unread postby ShadowLiberal » 04 Jul 2012, 03:33

I just replayed this mission on Heroic. I tried to take town #2 early, but had a few big problems.

1) There were 24 lich masters, and a heck of a lot of vampires and wights, but I had almost zero liches and 0 wights.

2) The computer decided once I got close to their town the first time to just stay put in their castle 24/7, which forced me to attack their castle.

3) My hero lacked both war machines (I got offered it but passed it up, big mistake) and summoning magic (I had an earth quake scroll, but it was too much of a joke to be worth mentioning, 0 to 100 damage a wall, and I had hardly any mana on top of that)

4) Red would ALWAYS stay sitting in his castle, forcing me to wait until I could but down his wall somewhere to get in.

Week after week I kept on saving and retrying, and STILL failing to conquer the town, even as the difficulty rating decreased down to 'Low'.

Eventually I finished the side quest to let me upgrade, but it let red upgrade to! So instead of having 2 stacks of liches to deal with I now had 1 super lich master stack, a stack that the hero ALWAYS made a phantom image of right away, and which my first two attacks on would ALWAYS miss.

So with just 2 weeks to go I decided to say screw it, and left red hiding in his town B while I traded everything for gold and bought up as big an army as I could.

So then I got to the demon town, MUCH easier for multiple reasons.

1) I could puppet master demons.

2) I could life drain from demons with my 150+ vampires.

3) Unlike red, the demons were stupid enough to send a pack of nightmares to the middle of their gate doorway right away, which allowed me to kill them and have their gate door stuck open forever.
Edited on Tue, Jul 03 2012, 23:34 by ShadowLiberal

heber0101
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby heber0101 » 12 Jan 2013, 20:16

Early Difficulty

I head north and go to the first Necro castle. End of week 1, and a red player is hanging around and his build is stronger than mine. Too many troops. I tried going for unguarded castle first. Tahat lasts one tirn til he attacks. Enemy hero is Zoltan. Tried second time with same result. First mission in first campaign is not supposed to be tough!

By the way playing on Normal, with the upgrade mods including the AI 'improvement'.

stachnie
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby stachnie » 15 Mar 2013, 06:52

heber0101: do you mean the Quantomas AI Mod?

I have decided to replay the campaign at Heroic difficulty and with two mods: mentioned AI mod and Crispy_Critter's True Upgrades.

Under the first mod AI is much more intelligent, e.g. it is reluctant to attack a hero of comparable strength and calculates its moves precisely: if it is able to go out of the town, flag a dwelling/mine and come back, it will do. It is much more difficult to lure AI out of its town. During the battle, AI heroes try to damage your troops as much as possible, even if it knows it will lose the battle (even it may keep casting Armageddon).

True Upgrades: the second upgrades are significantly stronger than the first ones but they cost also resources, some abilities of the first upgrades are changed (e.g. Vampire Lords have Vorpal Sword, both upgrades of Bone Dragons are incorporeal). The way to overcome resource requirement for lvl 1 and 2 is to upgrade them at a Hill Fort - lvl 1 for free, lvl 2: split them into many groups of one (a good job for a secondary hero, it also helps to avoid higher resource cost for tiers 4-6). A good tip: use Skeleton Archers for creeping and Warriors for tough battles with AI.

The most difficult battle was with Zoltan. I managed to defeat him at Week 2 Day 1 after I made sure to not to fight any unnecessary battles and allowed all willing creatures to join (required to do some save/reload). In the following weeks I tried to fight only one group of living creatures in a week and raised unupgraded creatures or 1st upgrades (for the maximal use of DE).

About Month 2 Week 2 I felt strong enough to block Orson: I captured his mines and dwellings and blocked access to the Zombie dwelling (otherwise Orson keeped to recapture it). After one extra week I let secondary heroes to amass all new troops, upgrade them (Skeleton Warriors + 1st upgrades for others), give them to Ornella and attack Orson. One of the most important things was to block Orson's Liches (especially the second upgrade is nasty: strong, big mana pool and one of its spells is Mass Weakness), then the battle was manageable.

Then I had just enough time to complete all required and secondary quests, raise all remaining living creatures etc. and at Month 3 Week 2 I gathered all troops, upgraded some of them to 2nd upgrade and sent Ornella into the portal. I had just enough time to attack Pit Lords and raise as many as possible, then I could raise one extra group at the last week. The final battle itself was quite easy: Ornella had much stronger troops - and enemy hero had no $%#@& Imps!

S.

vil2
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby vil2 » 17 Jul 2014, 13:00

Heroic Difficulty

WTF is this mission, seriously ?

First mission of the campaign, the fight againts Zoltan is unbalanced. Although the tooltip says it has lots of skeletons, that cheater has 280 skeletons champions as I attack him during week 1...

I've tried dozens of time but I was just unable to kill him with my starting troops.

Then I tried auto-combat and I won of course with huge losses : all my Vampires died, all my troops died, except the Footmen.

After that, I captured the town and I was left with no army, no resources, nothing, and every single monsters outside are far more powerful than me...

I dont' understand how it is possible that you've had an easy fight against Zoltan....

Anyway while being patient, I started to clean the surroundings of my Town on M2W1. That way I was able to manage the casualties. The upgrade Fort is very convenient, try to get it ASAP.

I tried to capture town B but it was impossible to lose 90% of my army and still win the mission within the allowed time. (I was able to capture it only towards M3).

So i finished the quest, took all the stat bonuses and attacked the demon army. WHile I had ridiculous spells (no slow, no confusion, no vampirism/puppet master) I was still able to destroy the demon army easily (the wizard has very poor stats, if you picked all the bonuses and some artifacts he will be weak againts you.

Anyway once again a very tough mission in the beginning of a campaign...

Note : you can abuse the AI if you do attack town B, because he has too much stacks of troops to defend the city. Usually if you attack the hero in front of the walls, he'll go inside and destroy 2 to 3 stacks of troops (the garisoned ones). if you're lucky he will discard Power Liches and other powerful troops.
Edited on Thu, Jul 17 2014, 11:04 by vil2

Return to “Articles”