MM8 on XP

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
Magnus
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

MM8 on XP

Unread postby Magnus » 12 Aug 2006, 14:34

Hi
I'm sorry for another topic about XP, but I've read every post about MM8 and XP, I've found but MM8 still doesn't working.

My problem is error message, when I start MM8 - The procedure entry point Makecriticalsectionglobal could not be found in the dynamic link library Kernel32.dll.
- I've found advice to delete some dlls from mm8 directory, I tried it (I've deleted ddraw.dll and winmm.dll), then the error message disappeared but tha game crashes at loading screen (after intro, but there is no intro, just blank screen, nevertheless I have to hit escape to skip it).

I have Moks patch, I've disabled 3D sound, hardware accelerated 3D video.
I've tried to set compatibilty mode in mm8.exe properties, even to download Aplication Compatibilty Toolkit and file MM8comXpProSP2.sdb, but nothing worked.
I've also updated my system - I have automatic windows update, I've downloaded newest NVidia driver, I have direct X 9.0c.

Can someone help me?

Redlance
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Patch?

Unread postby Redlance » 29 Aug 2006, 16:44

Least you were able to find a patch for the dang thing. Still scouring the web for any MM8 patch.

Phobos
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Phobos » 30 Aug 2006, 14:28

Did you change compatibility mode? (Properties...Compatibility...Win 95/98)

Dilema
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Re: MM8 on XP

Unread postby Dilema » 18 Dec 2006, 13:20

I got that problem too... I have done everything with compatibility tools,downloaded file. I think i done everything right,but when i launch game,there is error: Please insert might and magic VIII cd in the cd-rom and restart the application.. please help me..

kucing
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby kucing » 19 Sep 2007, 08:45

Grab the unofficial patch from CH or http://www.flamestryke.com/mm8

Then run it under Win98 compatibility mode.

Return to “Might and Magic”