MM FAQ/Walkthrough list

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

MM FAQ/Walkthrough list

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 29 Dec 2005, 16:03

This Thread should be viewed as a work in progress. Feel free to suggest things to add. To keep the thread short, replies will be deleted.

Walkthroughs :
General:
Celestial Heavens' walkthroughs for MM 8 and 9.
Gamefaqs
Universal Hint System
Flamestryke - Flamestryke passed on, please use site mirror.

MM7:
Spoiler Centre

MM6:
Spoiler Centre
Mandate Mania

Unoffical Patches:
The Erathian Liberation Party has made a much-needed patch for MM9

Mok's patches:
MM8
MM7
MM6

FAQ:
General:
How do I get the games to run on windows XP?
Celestial Heavens has a nice guide about how to do this.

Question:What's multilooting everybody keeps talking about?
Answer: Multilooting means you can get unlimited items and money from one monster. For example, you can loot a maximum of 13 artifacts from the Emerald Island dragon aka Morcarack including gold that can be counted in millions. It ruins the game, of course, but you can do it just for fun. Such a heavy multilooting takes at least several hours to perform.
To multiloot, kill the beast you wish to loot. Then in front of the dead body save your game and loot it. Because of the graphics bug, there's a little chance that after looting the dead body, it won't disappear though you already received the loot. And that's actually it. After a successful loot save the game, after unsuccessful try - reload.
Multilooting works in MM6-MM8 because they run basically the same engine.
Usually a very high level monsters can carry an artifact or relic - in MM6-MM7 that would be dragons and titans, in MM8 - also all kinds of ruby, emerald of saphire dragons.

Question: Can I fly inside the dungeons? I've heard about some Daemonger's beacon...
Answer: You can't, it's a bogus. Though again, some people have reported to have done it, nobody has proved it yet. The whole idea of the Daemonger's Beacon is to enter the dungeon, make a high jump in the air and cast Lloid's Beacon. Now exit the dungeon and recall to the beacon while holding the flying button. Daemonger who was a known MM fan some time ago, reported that he was able to fly inside a dungeon so that's why this trick is called Daemonger's beacon.

MM6:
Question:After installing version 1.2, a door in the Shadow Guild can't be opened anymore. How do I solve this?
Answer: Best solution: Download Mok's patch (see above). You can also download the MM6.exe.

MM7:
Question:After going through the Walls of Mist, the Chest at the end is empty/I can't find any Soul Jars in the right chest! What's wrong?
Answer: The problem is that you got the Nighon souljar quest before finishing your other quest. As a result, the Celeste chest is empty. This is a known bug, without any known solution except reloading from an older save or using an editor to give you the appropriate items.

Question: I've heard that you can get to Vori. Is it true?
Answer: Nope. There are several fan stories to confuse the newbies that you still can get to Vori in MM7 but that's not possible. However, you can get to Vori in the Heroes III Chronicle "Sword of Frost" campaign. Volee is the capital city of Vori and it's residents mostly are snow elves. In Castle Gobs, one of the MM fansites, there's being played out a "pen and paper" game "Trials of Nicolai" which also takes place in Vori.
Vori exists also in real life - it's a small town on the Crete island.

Question: How can I return back to the Emerald's Island after I leave it?
Answer: You can't. In theory in order to be able to return, you would need at least one Lloids Beacon scroll from the dragon that resides in the Dragon's Cave. Unfortunately the best you can get from him is scroll of Light or Dark magic at master's level, no elemental magic. Some people though have reported that they have been able to loot also the Lloids Beacon scroll but it's unconfirmed. There are many versions of MM7 and some of them might differ a bit. In case you get the scroll, you can set up the Lloid's Beacon and hurry to Harmondale. Then you would have to hurry to find at least several more scrolls because the duration time of the beacon runs out after some time. In this hurry you would have to become an Archmage or a Lich in order to cast the spell yourself. After all, why would you want to return to the Emerald's Island?

MM8:
Question: I can't unfreeze Cauri Blackthorne!
Answer: You must use one of the Scrolls of Stone to Flesh that you receive for the quest. If you have one in your inventory and click to talk to the appropriate statue, they will be unfrozen.

Question: What's with this circlet I found in the stone circle in the Murmurwoods?
Answer: That's apparantly a leftover that was supposedly meant for a druid promotion quest. In a similar fashion, there is the hammerhands spell, despite the fact that no class can learn unarmed combat.

MM9:
Question: MM9 is running slowly whenever I try to pull up a menu/inventory/try to quicksave! What can I do?
Answer: Try Mok's modified cshell.dll for mm9. http://www.chlala.dk/mightandmagic/Mok/

Thanks to Paulus1, JoniJM, DaveO, Bandobras Took, Arturchix and everyone else who have contributed!
Last edited by Gaidal Cain on 01 Sep 2011, 05:22, edited 6 times in total.

Avonu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Re: MM FAQ/Walkthrough list

Unread postby Avonu » 03 Nov 2007, 11:26

Gaidal Cain wrote:MM7:
Question:After going through the Walls of Mist, the Chest at the end is empty/I can't find any Soul Jars in the right chest! What's wrong?
Answer: The problem is that you got the Nighon souljar quest before finishing your other quest. As a result, the Celeste chest is empty. This is a known bug, without any known solution except reloading from an older save or using an editor to give you the appropriate items.
I think that's not true.
I have many situations where I don't go to Nighon and still chest in Wall of Mist was empty.
I think (and it is true in my version of MM7 - official patches + Mok's patch) that problem is somewhere else.
The most knowing trick to quick and safetly go through Wall of Mist is:
- Cast Invisibility outside (in Celeste), go to Walls, pick up one keys, leave Walls and recast Invisibility again (because short duration of this spell) and again go to Walls, pick up another key, leave, recast spell, re-enter to dungeon for last key and open door. And find empty chest.

If I am correct, each of these leaving dungeon cause that Wall of Mists respawn and chest with soul jars also respawn. But like with chest with artifacts, new respawn cause that soul jars are lost (like artifacts).
So, the best solution is going through the Wall of Mists without leaving this dungeon - with 10 points in Air Magic (master level) and ring "of air magic" you can easly finish this dungeon. Also in area where are air elementals (and elevetor) you can recast Invisibility (there is area where threat indicator is green).

And last information - make sure that all of your team members have one soul jar. Otherwise, quest want be completed (lich promotor says something about lack of soul jars).

Don't know if this solution work in all game versions but I think it should.
I hope that someone will understand what I wrote.

EDIT:
I went to Nighon, grabed soul jars, went to Celeste, went through Wall of Mists without leaving this dungeon and soul jars were in chest.
So, order with you completed these quests isn't important (at least in some versions of game).

jeff4815
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby jeff4815 » 23 May 2008, 15:46

What do each of those patches do before I decide to download them?
And there was much rejoicing...
"You want a piece of me?!"
Ithilgore trying to Identify a Dragon: "Haven't seen one before..."

Debaguls
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Debaguls » 03 Jul 2008, 22:13

jeff4815 wrote:What do each of those patches do before I decide to download them?
You can read more about each unofficial patch at www.telp.org
On each board MOK has explained what his patches do.
And MM9 has a section about the Unofficial patch on the main page.

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 23 Aug 2008, 05:45

Question: How to fix loading video in MM9 under Vista?
Answer: When you start the game (example is MM9, but the problem is totally the same in LoMM) the boat 'travells' on the screen, then it stops, you hear the music, 'hello' and you can even hear sounds of your party jumping, hitting walls etc - but you don't see any graphics.

Some people have noticed that alttabing to windows and then back to game can help. Same to switching off Aero.

But I've decided to make an even better solution - I was too lazy to turn it off and on each time. So now, the fix is the following:
--> Go to lithtech.exe compatibility tab and turn off desktop composition. You can leave everything else unchecked (including "visual styles" option).
~Thanks to Skraelos for providing this useful piece of information. ;)
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

Sure Valla
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Sure Valla » 28 Mar 2009, 17:54

GrayFace
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby GrayFace » 07 Jun 2009, 19:02

My patches: MM6 MM7 MM8. MMExtension. Tools. Also, I love Knytt Stories and Knytt Underground. I'm also known as sergroj.

Sure Valla
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Sure Valla » 09 Jun 2009, 18:11

GrayFace wrote:Hidden Treasures: viewtopic.php?p=209921#209921
I discovered most of them myself :proud:
Last edited by Sure Valla on 17 Apr 2013, 20:37, edited 1 time in total.

GrayFace
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby GrayFace » 18 Jun 2009, 05:51

GrayFace Patches: http://sites.google.com/site/sergroj/mm
These patches contain all changes of Mok's patches in them and add many more. All arguable changes are optional except one - it's Smuggler's Guild added in Free Haven. But you can just ignore it in the game if you wish.
Discussion threads:
MM6 Patch
MM7 Patch
MM8 Patch
My patches: MM6 MM7 MM8. MMExtension. Tools. Also, I love Knytt Stories and Knytt Underground. I'm also known as sergroj.

Sure Valla
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Sure Valla » 19 Aug 2009, 10:34

Cain put this one on mm7 http://www.rpgclassics.com/shrines/pc/mm7/
i think its way better then spoiler center

Talin_Trollbane
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Talin_Trollbane » 11 Oct 2009, 17:41

Ultima, Elder Scrolls and Might and Magic Veteran.

Mn
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Mn » 10 Feb 2010, 23:40

Just about "the Emerald Island dragon aka Morcarack"

It's only simple Red Dragon, without any name. You can easy kill him if you want, but about 13 arts/relics - You must count only EQUIPPED ones.

Rune_Caster
Demon
Demon

Statistics for mm6-8, is this the same for WoX?

Unread postby Rune_Caster » 31 May 2010, 04:00

http://sites.google.com/site/sergroj/mm/mechanics

If not does anyone know any sites that list Statistics for might and magic 4 - 5 World of Xeen?

jeff

TCC Part 1 Walkthroughs

Unread postby jeff » 23 Dec 2011, 19:21

Not sure this is the right thread or not, but the walkthroughs for the Chaos Conspiracy (TCC) part one have fallen fairly deep. So for those players needing help here are the links.

Mainline and promotion quests walkthrough
http://www.mediafire.com/?o8v1atah7c4m4fc
Local Quest walkthrough
http://www.mediafire.com/?k3ph59yz7hso06l[/b]
BDJ's site for the various other downloads
http://www.mediafire.com/my%20files/bdjs
Mala Ipsa Nova :bugsquash:

d2r
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby d2r » 12 Feb 2012, 22:46

Avonu wrote:I went to Nighon, grabed soul jars, went to Celeste, went through Wall of Mists without leaving this dungeon and soul jars were in chest.
So, order with you completed these quests isn't important (at least in some versions of game).
Oh, so THAT'S the problem! I thought the 1.1 (official) patch fixed that but it just happened to me and I was wondering what the deal was. Well, crap, then. I guess I won't be getting Lich this round. :(

Ribannah
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Ribannah » 12 Feb 2013, 13:28

Mn wrote:Just about "the Emerald Island dragon aka Morcarack"

It's only simple Red Dragon, without any name. You can easy kill him if you want, but about 13 arts/relics - You must count only EQUIPPED ones.
The dragon's name, Morcarack, doesn't show inside the cave but one of the locals mentions it.

- Rib -

Grumpy
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Grumpy » 13 Apr 2014, 16:27

Mn wrote:You can easy kill him if you want, but about 13 arts/relics - You must count only EQUIPPED ones.
Actually you have to count every generated artifact/relic, regardless whether it's equipped / sold / thrown away (at least in MM7).

Crossy!
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Crossy! » 11 Apr 2017, 11:57

Greetings fellow gamers!
My status is: finished MM8, still struggling with MM6 and currently quite pissed with Markham in MM7!
Question: While trying to nick Markham's vase, his bodyguards turned hostile and I tried unsuccessfully to override them until Invisibility came into my possession and I just grabbed it and took flight. That's all fine.
But now lord Markham is scared and locked himself in... So how am I going to deliver the sealed letter to him?
Please advise! :)

Roticet
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Roticet » 16 Jun 2019, 11:10

Crossy! wrote:Greetings fellow gamers!
My status is: finished MM8, still struggling with MM6 and currently quite pissed with Markham in MM7!
Question: While trying to nick Markham's vase, his bodyguards turned hostile and I tried unsuccessfully to override them until Invisibility came into my possession and I just grabbed it and took flight. That's all fine.
But now lord Markham is scared and locked himself in... So how am I going to deliver the sealed letter to him?
Please advise! :)
Little late to the party on this one, but either, you have to wait for the map to reset, or he is permanently locked. If memory serves, he is permanently locked, unfortunately. I think for Tatalia the reset timer is 2 years.

Vaulth516
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Vaulth516 » 26 Nov 2020, 18:18

Hi, I found this gem here that is very helpful.
http://www.mj-oystein.no/index_htm_files/MM8.pdf

Return to “Might and Magic”