Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge redone

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
DaveHer
Hunter
Hunter

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge redone

Unread postby DaveHer » 30 Dec 2023, 21:43

DaveHer wrote: 09 Jan 2022, 00:15 Very important! Mod Job has completely restructured there website. Things are confusing now. The new link will take you to a page where you will find the download links. These links are in red lettering. There you will also find other links to my mods. There you will see in red:
"Downloads: HD MM8 Bitmaps, [RU] Anims, Patch two for MergeRedone v2.0, Patch4MergeRedone V2.0, MM678 Merged Redone V2.0, MM8 Redone"

Download first: MM678 Merged Redone V2.0,
Download second and install, overwrite all: Patch4MergeRedone V2.0
Download third and install, overwrite all: Patch two for MergeRedone

Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge redone is finally released. Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge was created by Rodril. He used the GrayFace tools to combine all three games into the MM8 engine. I replaced hundreds of textures, icons, and sprites with HD images. Hundreds of trees, plants, and flowers were added to the landscapes. Additional trees, plants, and flowers were added to the game. Also added over one hundred models and added 21 additional quests. MM7 part of the merge has shrines that will take you to Erathia, Harmondale, Emerald, or EvenmornIsland. The shrines are activated with a key that you get when you complete some quests. As inspired by Echo's Monstrosity, I placed additional monsters on all the maps.

This Link will take you to all the files you will need. https://www.moddb.com/messages/updates

Add the following lines to the MM8.ini file:

FixChests=1
; If set to 1, items that didn't fit into a chest would appear next time you open it.

See pics for MM6 part of the merge here: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing
See pics for MM7 part of the merge here: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing
For MM8 part of the merge pics go to page 2 and look in the post for MM8 redone.

It is exactly the same. Warning, any bugs in the original merge will exist in this mod also. This mod was done with the following: MM678_Merged_2022_04_08_nomedia, and MM678_Patch_2022_04_08. Thanks to Rodril for supplying a file that fix the crash when fighting monsters. :tsup: Thanks also goes to GrayFace for giving me pointers on improving sprite images and also fixing the editor. :tsup: I contacted him several times about errors I was getting when trying to do something with the editor. I still have some minor things I need to do before it becomes available.

Installation:
1. Do a clean installation of MM8 CD or GoG version.(not included)
2. Install MMEditor and MMExtension2.2 in any order (included). The folders go into the MM8 installaion folder.
3. Install "MM678_Merged Redone" Place the following folders and files of this zip file into the "Might and Magic VIII" installed folder. (Anims, DATA, DataFiles, ExeMods, Music, Scripts, Binkw32.dll, mm8.exe, mm8.ini, MM8patch.dll, MM8Setup.Exe, MP3DEC.ASI, Mss32.dll, Mssa3d.m3d, Mssds3dh.m3d, Mssds3ds.m3d, Msseax.m3d, Mssfast.m3d, and Smackw32.dll). Overwrite all files. Do a short cut of the MM8setup.Exe to your desk top. Right click on it and select properties. Click the compatibility tab and set it to window XP service pack 3. Do the same for MM8.Exe but do not make a short cut.
4. Run Game. Do not create party. Exit. This will let GrayFace Patch 2.5.7 know that you have the merge installed and will install the correct files.
5. Install GrayFace Patch 2.5.7 (included).
6. Play the game. Have fun.
This info is in the MergeRedoneReadme.txt that in the zip file.

Invisible walls: just move over left or right and you will pass right through.
Doors and shines: use space bar or cursor to activate.
Minotaurs can wear Hats, Helmets, and Crowns.
David Hernandez

alekssandros
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby alekssandros » 03 Jan 2024, 10:29

DaveHer wrote: 17 Dec 2023, 11:01
Sorry, that happened to you. But that happens to a lot of people. It is a good idea to save your save game files to a CD.
David
YAY!
I had already made a backup of the entire REDONE YAY!
I found it yesterday xD
It's about 8 months ago, is there anything to update?
Last edited by alekssandros on 03 Jan 2024, 14:41, edited 1 time in total.

DaveHer
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby DaveHer » 03 Jan 2024, 21:37

alekssandros wrote: 03 Jan 2024, 10:29
DaveHer wrote: 17 Dec 2023, 11:01
Sorry, that happened to you. But that happens to a lot of people. It is a good idea to save your save game files to a CD.
David
YAY!
I had already made a backup of the entire REDONE YAY!
I found it yesterday xD
It's about 8 months ago, is there anything to update?
No not yet. The bugs are very minor. They should not keep you from finishing the game. There are three files. They need to be install in the correct order. Overwriting files as you install them.
David

alekssandros
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby alekssandros » 03 Jan 2024, 23:41

DaveHer wrote: 03 Jan 2024, 21:37 No not yet. The bugs are very minor. They should not keep you from finishing the game. There are three files. They need to be install in the correct order. Overwriting files as you install them.
David
the 3 files are to fix the bugs? Because I still FAR FAR AWAY to ending the game :oex: I was going around doing secondary quests on Enroth and leveling support mages (making them GM in water magic)

the game backup is from Apr 25 2023

DaveHer
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby DaveHer » 04 Jan 2024, 02:58

Yes. Those three files fix a lot of bugs and they were uploaded before that time. So you are good to go.
David

toadking
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby toadking » 08 Jan 2024, 23:24

Hi, thank you for your good job. It seems that there are many items in the treasure chest on the map that are no longer random items, but have become fixed items after apply Redone 2.0, Can this still return to random items? :creative:

DaveHer
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby DaveHer » 09 Jan 2024, 16:11

toadking wrote: 08 Jan 2024, 23:24 Hi, thank you for your good job. It seems that there are many items in the treasure chest on the map that are no longer random items, but have become fixed items after apply Redone 2.0, Can this still return to random items? :creative:
No. I don't think so. Sorry.
David

toadking
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby toadking » 12 Jan 2024, 09:40

DaveHer wrote: 09 Jan 2024, 16:11
toadking wrote: 08 Jan 2024, 23:24 Hi, thank you for your good job. It seems that there are many items in the treasure chest on the map that are no longer random items, but have become fixed items after apply Redone 2.0, Can this still return to random items? :creative:
No. I don't think so. Sorry.
David
Sorry to bother you again, I have written a script to replace items in the treasure chest with random items of the same type and level. But I have two questions that I cannot be solved:

1. How to obtain the level of treasure on this map?
PS: The eleventh field in mapstats.txt looks similar, but I don't know how to use its value in the script :(
2. Where is this script placed, and can it be executed once regardless of which map it enters?

Can you give me a suggestion for them, thank you.

Code: Select all

local vItemLevel = ?
if Map.Refilled then
for i, ch in Map.Chests do
	for j,v in ch.Items  do
		if v.Number ~= 0 then
			v:Randomize(vItemLevel, Game.ItemsTxt[v.Number].EquipStat+1)		
		end
	end
end

DaveHer
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby DaveHer » 12 Jan 2024, 16:27

You might find the level of the treasures by using the editor.
The script needs to be in LUA form, and I believe it goes in scripts\general.
Another thing you might do is look into the original merge folder scripts\general and look for the script that randomize the items in the chests.
It should be there. According to GrayFace, any script placed there is loaded at the start of the game and stays loaded.
David

toadking
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby toadking » 13 Jan 2024, 02:34

DaveHer wrote: 12 Jan 2024, 16:27 You might find the level of the treasures by using the editor.
The script needs to be in LUA form, and I believe it goes in scripts\general.
Another thing you might do is look into the original merge folder scripts\general and look for the script that randomize the items in the chests.
It should be there. According to GrayFace, any script placed there is loaded at the start of the game and stays loaded.
David
Copy, I will try it, thank you very much.

Shamsiel
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Shamsiel » 12 Mar 2024, 13:48

Hello, thank you for your work.
I decided to try merge redone with minor changes to the monsters: I copied the guard and increased his XP, everything is displayed correctly in the editor, but in the game itself a new guard appeared without increased XP.
I rechecked it in the editor, everything shows correctly there again.

What could I be doing wrong? With the vanilla game the same actions worked...

DaveHer
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby DaveHer » 12 Mar 2024, 20:51

Shamsiel wrote: 12 Mar 2024, 13:48 Hello, thank you for your work.
I decided to try merge redone with minor changes to the monsters: I copied the guard and increased his XP, everything is displayed correctly in the editor, but in the game itself a new guard appeared without increased XP.

You need to edit the file MONSTERS.txt It is found in the mmmerge.T.lod file. Look for the Colum EXP. Also there you can increase the Hit points HP and the AC. You will need MMAchive and GrayFace Text editor.
David

Tomsod
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Tomsod » 12 Mar 2024, 22:56

The thing about guards and other pre-placed monsters is that just updating monsters.txt will not change their stats, you do need the map editor (unless MMExt did something about it recently). Experience for monster kills is just about the only thing that always checks monsters.txt, at the moment of death; only the value of 0 is respected for the specific monster. Grayface wanted to fix it someday IIRC, but probably hadn't yet.

EDIT: oops, turns out he had, in recent MMExt the XP thing is controlled by the RespectMonsterExp global. I guess it's off in Redone?

DaveHer
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby DaveHer » 13 Mar 2024, 09:26

Tomsod wrote: 12 Mar 2024, 22:56 The thing about guards and other pre-placed monsters is that just updating monsters.txt will not change their stats, you do need the map editor (unless MMExt did something about it recently). Experience for monster kills is just about the only thing that always checks monsters.txt, at the moment of death; only the value of 0 is respected for the specific monster. Grayface wanted to fix it someday IIRC, but probably hadn't yet.

EDIT: oops, turns out he had, in recent MMExt the XP thing is controlled by the RespectMonsterExp global. I guess it's off in Redone?
Thanks for the info. :)
David

Shamsiel
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Shamsiel » 13 Mar 2024, 15:33

DaveHer wrote: 12 Mar 2024, 20:51
Shamsiel wrote: 12 Mar 2024, 13:48 Hello, thank you for your work.

You need to edit the file MONSTERS.txt It is found in the mmmerge.T.lod file. Look for the Colum EXP. Also there you can increase the Hit points HP and the AC. You will need MMAchive and GrayFace Text editor.
David
Editing MONSTERS.txt will affect all monsters of a given type, but I only needed to change a specific one without changing the rest of the monsters.
I was able to do this using a script that checks the map and then edits MONSTERS.txt on that map only.

My test script, which allowed me to change the HP of Lizardman Captain on the New Sorpigal map:

function events.BeforeLoadMap() 
	if Game.Map.Name == "oute3.odm" then 
		LocalMonstersTxt()
		Game.MonstersTxt[6].FullHitPoints = 200 
	end
end
But I still don’t know how to do the same thing, but so that the script checks the unique name of the monster (NameId) and only makes changes to the monster with this name (if at all possible).
For example: in the Daggerwound Islands there are 3 pirate captains on ships, they are the same type, but I would like to give them different parameters.

Tomsod
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Tomsod » 13 Mar 2024, 18:03

Must it be a script? That's what the map editor is for. But you imagine you could try something like this:

for _, m in Map.Monsters do
    if m.NameId == 4 then -- Admiral Nelson
        m.FullHP = 1000
    else if m.NameId == 5 then -- Captain Zyrain
        m.FullHP = 2000
    else if m.NameId == 6 then -- Admiral Clausewitz
        m.FullHP = 3000
    end
end
and put it into a map script for DW Islands. It would re-run on every map load, but that's probably fine.

Shamsiel
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Shamsiel » 13 Mar 2024, 21:24

Tomsod wrote: 13 Mar 2024, 18:03 Must it be a script? That's what the map editor is for. But you imagine you could try something like this:

m.FullHP = 1000
    else if m.NameId == 5 then -- Captain Zyrain
        m.FullHP = 2000
    else if m.NameId == 6 then -- Admiral Clausewitz
        m.FullHP = 3000
    end
end
and put it into a map script for DW Islands. It would re-run on every map load, but that's probably fine.
Thanks for the answer. I tried your script, the game had an error:
(...ht and Magic - Merged Redone\Scripts\Global\Monsters.lua:19: 'end' expected (to close 'if' at line 12) near '<eof> ')
I simplified the script to one captain and reduced the XP to test. There are no errors, but nothing has changed in the game. Here's the script:

m.FullHP = 50
    end
end
I don't understand about the editor. I tried to edit the parameters of a specific monster through it, and then loading the map in the editor, all changes are saved, but there are no changes in the game itself.
For example, I can add new monsters, but its parameters remain unchanged.

This only happens in Merge. In the original game, I could use the editor to change the parameters of a specific monster and it worked in the game.

Tomsod
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Tomsod » 13 Mar 2024, 22:11

Oh damn, I meant "elseif", not "else if". As to why it doesn't work anyway, it's just an example for vanilla MM8, I don't have a Merge install but I'm guessing NameId's there might be different?

About the map editor: naturally, you also need to add the changed map to the .lod archives for it to work. If there's also a mod archive that overrides the map file, and you're trying to replace the original file, it'll still be overridden.

Shamsiel
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Shamsiel » 14 Mar 2024, 00:07

I looked at the original game, the script works well.
Based on the information in the file (mmmerge.T.lod/Placemon.txt), we can say that the captains NameId's remained 4-5-6 (like in the original game). These numbers are also visible through the editor. But maybe I’m looking in the wrong place and there’s more data
I'll try to ask in the merge thread

Malekitsu
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Malekitsu » 15 Mar 2024, 08:26

Shamsiel wrote: 14 Mar 2024, 00:07 I looked at the original game, the script works well.
Based on the information in the file (mmmerge.T.lod/Placemon.txt), we can say that the captains NameId's remained 4-5-6 (like in the original game). These numbers are also visible through the editor. But maybe I’m looking in the wrong place and there’s more data
I'll try to ask in the merge thread
You can contact on discord for any question, name is:
.malekith

Return to “Might and Magic”