Started up MM6 again - Few questions

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
Anubis
War Dancer
War Dancer

Started up MM6 again - Few questions

Unread postby Anubis » 29 Dec 2016, 05:10

I want to start another adventure in MM6. Before I start, I've a few questions with some weapon effects:

- Swiftness enchantment - Does swiftness only reduce recovery times with weapons or does it include spell recovery as well?

- Pellinore's 'Hit Recovery' enchantment - Is this enchantment supposed to reduce recovery times, because iirc, I remember seeing no changes to recovery times with Pellinore equipped, making me confused as to what this is even supposed to do.

- Thor - Does 'Force' actually do anything? I read it's supposed to knock enemies back, but I simply don't recall Thor doing anything like that. If it knocks an enemy back, does it do something like...disrupt an enemy's attack?

- Hades/Pendragon - Thievery effect - Does the Thievery effect work at all? I assume it's something to do with disarming chests, but what exactly is this supposed to do? What I mean is...does Thievery raise your Disarm skill (removing traps from chests) at all or does it raise your Perception skill (dodging trapped chests)? If the latter, would it allow for the opening of the doors in that one Baa Temple that requires 8 skill in Perception?

- Valeria/Aegis - Correct me if I'm wrong, but the shielding effect (in MM6) only works against arrows (which are only shot by Lizardmen, lol) making Valeria/Aegis pretty much useless. Btw, I remember testing Valeria against arrows and I don't think the shielding enchantment on Valeria even works at all, lol.

- Ares - Why is Ares a relic? I thought relics also came with a negative effect.

- Staff/Mace Master - Stun effect - Is stun any good? What does it do, exactly?

- Slaying - How is 'Slaying' damage calculated?
Last edited by Anubis on 29 Dec 2016, 07:23, edited 1 time in total.

Mareneusz002
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Re: Started up MM6 again - Few questions

Unread postby Mareneusz002 » 08 Aug 2023, 02:47

hi im playing MM6 now also and i looted artifact "Thor" and it never pushed or knocked out enemy ;l
is it bugged or am i doing something wrong?

"(Special Powers: Force). The origins of Thor are lost in time, but this mighty barbarian weapon is well remembered by military historians. The weapon has been used in battles by many owners for centuries, although its last appearance was at the battle of Shimengard in 902 A.S.. The force of a blow from this hammer is so powerful that it can knock foes several feet back away from the wielder."

also, does the perception skill works in MM6? i have skilled it to master, but never seen any hidden doors or things ;l

Tomsod
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Tomsod » 08 Aug 2023, 11:31

Anubis wrote: 29 Dec 2016, 05:10 - Swiftness enchantment - Does swiftness only reduce recovery times with weapons or does it include spell recovery as well?
Only weapons, and if you're dual-wielding it might not even work. See here.
Anubis wrote: 29 Dec 2016, 05:10 - Pellinore's 'Hit Recovery' enchantment - Is this enchantment supposed to reduce recovery times, because iirc, I remember seeing no changes to recovery times with Pellinore equipped, making me confused as to what this is even supposed to do.
If I'm not mistaken, it works like items "of Recovery", reducing weapon recovery by 10% with MM6Patch.
Anubis wrote: 29 Dec 2016, 05:10 - Thor - Does 'Force' actually do anything? I read it's supposed to knock enemies back, but I simply don't recall Thor doing anything like that. If it knocks an enemy back, does it do something like...disrupt an enemy's attack?
Items "of Force" just have greater knockback. It might not be very noticeable because knockback is capped. At least in MM7, the cap is very low.
Anubis wrote: 29 Dec 2016, 05:10 - Hades/Pendragon - Thievery effect - Does the Thievery effect work at all? I assume it's something to do with disarming chests, but what exactly is this supposed to do? What I mean is...does Thievery raise your Disarm skill (removing traps from chests) at all or does it raise your Perception skill (dodging trapped chests)? If the latter, would it allow for the opening of the doors in that one Baa Temple that requires 8 skill in Perception?
It doubles your total Disarm skill.
Anubis wrote: 29 Dec 2016, 05:10 - Valeria/Aegis - Correct me if I'm wrong, but the shielding effect (in MM6) only works against arrows (which are only shot by Lizardmen, lol) making Valeria/Aegis pretty much useless. Btw, I remember testing Valeria against arrows and I don't think the shielding enchantment on Valeria even works at all, lol.
That's a common misconception. Shielding works against all missile attacks that are not (player-type) spells. E.g. dragon/wyrm breath attacks, monk/druid/sorcerer magical blasts, and even robot blasters will all deal half damage. Moreover, the Shield spell stacks with an "of Shielding" item for quarter damage, and one of the two artifact shields further reduces the damage to 1/8th.
Anubis wrote: 29 Dec 2016, 05:10 - Staff/Mace Master - Stun effect - Is stun any good? What does it do, exactly?
At least in MM7, stun works like the Stun spell -- delays the monster's attack by 20 time units (1/5th of a round) and knocks it back a little.
Anubis wrote: 29 Dec 2016, 05:10 - Slaying - How is 'Slaying' damage calculated?
On applicable targets, the base damage of the weapon is doubled. Bonuses from stats, spells and skills are unaffected.
Mareneusz002 wrote: also, does the perception skill works in MM6? i have skilled it to master, but never seen any hidden doors or things ;l
In MM6, Perception only affects stuff like crystals, skull piles and locked doors in Baa temple. There's no need to raise it past Expert.

EDIT: I just noticed the first post is from 2016 :| Oh well, someone might still care.

Mareneusz002
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Mareneusz002 » 09 Aug 2023, 01:38

Tomsod wrote: 08 Aug 2023, 11:31 [...]
EDIT: I just noticed the first post is from 2016 :| Oh well, someone might still care.
thanks! yea sometimes even posts from 2011 can help :)

and is it somehow possible to make "force" to push enemy way further? like few meters?
because this artifact isnt really mega strong i think, so atleast it could be "fun" artifact ^^

thanks!!

Tomsod
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Tomsod » 09 Aug 2023, 03:36

Okay, I had nothing to do so here's a MMExt script to increase the effect of Force bonus:

Code: Select all

mem.IgnoreProtection(true)
mem.i4[0x4313a9] = 20 -- adjust to taste
mem.IgnoreProtection(false)
20 is the intended value, I think, although it's capped at 10 in vanilla. But you could try 30 or 40 for more notable results.

And while testing this, I found out that Thor is indeed broken and has no force effect! This should probably be reported to Grayface. But ordinary weapons of Force work with the above script. For now, as a workaround, you can pick up Thor with mouse and write this in MMExt console:

Mouse.Item.Bonus2 = 24
It should then count as a Force weapon.

Mareneusz002
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Mareneusz002 » 10 Aug 2023, 01:18

Tomsod wrote: 09 Aug 2023, 03:36 Okay, I had nothing to do so here's a MMExt script to increase the effect of Force bonus:

mem.IgnoreProtection(true)
mem.i4[0x4313a9] = 20 -- adjust to taste
mem.IgnoreProtection(false)
20 is the intended value, I think, although it's capped at 10 in vanilla. But you could try 30 or 40 for more notable results.

And while testing this, I found out that Thor is indeed broken and has no force effect! This should probably be reported to Grayface. But ordinary weapons of Force work with the above script. For now, as a workaround, you can pick up Thor with mouse and write this in MMExt console:

Mouse.Item.Bonus2 = 24
It should then count as a Force weapon.

Thanks!! it works :D i have set 150 value and now i can see the power of Thor xD

yea it would be nice to have it fixed, because now all weapons "of force" (which means they have speciality "has bigger chances to do Stun" right?) will also have Force effect? i think only the Thor artifact should be able to do the big knockout effect as it says in description:

"(Special Powers: Force). The origins of Thor are lost in time, but this mighty barbarian weapon is well remembered by military historians. The weapon has been used in battles by many owners for centuries, although its last appearance was at the battle of Shimengard in 902 A.S.. The force of a blow from this hammer is so powerful that it can knock foes several feet back away from the wielder."

for example in my Polish language version, if weapon is "of force"
and Thor artifact which has "(Special Powers: Force)"
the "force" word has 2 different meanings

weapon "of force" is translated to something like strength/power
and "(Special Powers: Force)" the force word is translated to something like big knockout, just something like the description of thor

but yea its just some small things that not many people really care, so its not really necessary to fix right now ^^

Thank you again for your help!! im really happy i have some crazy artifact with some cool effect :D :-D

Tomsod
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Tomsod » 10 Aug 2023, 04:55

No, I'm pretty sure Thor is supposed to have the same power as ordinary weapons of Force, and that is just knockback. Weapons of Force don't stun monsters, they only move them away. It's fairly common for artifacts to have one of more abilities that duplicate ordinary item enchantments, and FWIW Thor also has unlisted +20 Might. If your translation uses different words for Thor and regular weapons, then the translators are to blame! They tend to leave inconsistencies like that.

Macros the Black
Druid
Druid

Unread postby Macros the Black » 10 Aug 2023, 18:18

I did learn something from your post, Tomsod ^^. Shielding on artifacts stacking with the spell makes them more useful than I thought they were.
You'd think Darkmoor was a ghost town, but instead there's plenty of life among the dead.

Mareneusz002
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Mareneusz002 » 11 Aug 2023, 01:07

Tomsod wrote: 10 Aug 2023, 04:55 No, I'm pretty sure Thor is supposed to have the same power as ordinary weapons of Force, and that is just knockback. Weapons of Force don't stun monsters, they only move them away. It's fairly common for artifacts to have one of more abilities that duplicate ordinary item enchantments, and FWIW Thor also has unlisted +20 Might. If your translation uses different words for Thor and regular weapons, then the translators are to blame! They tend to leave inconsistencies like that.
yea it seems that translation might be inaccurate ^^

hehe yeah i found it increase +20 might, but i already have many bonuses to might, so it doesnt change my dmg much ^^

anyway now i have Ares which is really strong, and Thor which is quite fun with this upgraded knockback :D

thanks!! :-D :tsup:

Anubis
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Anubis » 15 Aug 2023, 18:00

Hahaha, I saw this thread and was wondering when I even posted a thread like this.

Fwiw, I didn't realize that shielding worked like that in MM6 at all. Good to know. I'll have to look at Pellinore again when I get it, because I don't remember it affecting recovery times at all.

As for slaying weapons, I remember testing it in MM7 and seeing no damage differences whatsoever. I hit the max damage number with a regular wizard staff and a wizard staff of dragon slaying. I dunno if the same rings true in MM6.

Tomsod
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Tomsod » 15 Aug 2023, 21:43

Yeah, I looked at it more closely, and it seems Pellinore's recovery bonus isn't implemented after all! Again, Grayface should be informed of this. As for the double damage weapons, it's easier to notice the bonus if you mod the weapon to be +100 or something. Normally the difference is almost insignificant past the early game.

Return to “Might and Magic”