How exactly does Disarm Trap skill work? (MM6)

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
Macros the Black
Druid
Druid

How exactly does Disarm Trap skill work? (MM6)

Unread postby Macros the Black » 03 Jul 2015, 21:00

I always thought that it was just a check to see if your level was high enough, but I've been finding that sometimes I can open a chest and other times (with the same level) it explodes.

It does seem to be the case that having a certain level makes it so that the trap never explodes, but it seems there's a chance for your character to get lucky and open it anyway if their skill isn't high enough..

Does anyone know how exactly it works? Like how many levels (skill point value) do you need to be under the optimal level to get a chance to open it, how high that chance is, etc?

This was in MM6 by the way.

the beavers1
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby the beavers1 » 03 Jul 2015, 21:55

based on my experience, Disarm trap only increases the chance of a character opening the chest. chests have different 'levels' and your chance of success is lower the higher the level of the chest, but you can still have a chance to disarm it. Thats how I figure it works at least
"Rot in Hell You Penny Pinching Miser!"

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 03 Jul 2015, 22:29

Yeap, sounds about right. There's some threshold where chance to disarm > 100% and another one when it's < 0%. But there's plenty of in-between too, which is why you can save, try to unlock, on death reload, repeat until you don't die. That's what pretty much always happens for me in MM7 haunted mansion.

the beavers1
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby the beavers1 » 04 Jul 2015, 02:21

GreatEmerald wrote:Yeap, sounds about right. There's some threshold where chance to disarm > 100% and another one when it's < 0%. But there's plenty of in-between too, which is why you can save, try to unlock, on death reload, repeat until you don't die. That's what pretty much always happens for me in MM7 haunted mansion.
Cool so i was right, also, I just tanked haunted mansion B-)
"Rot in Hell You Penny Pinching Miser!"

Macros the Black
Druid
Druid

Unread postby Macros the Black » 05 Jul 2015, 00:29

Good to know, thanks.

Phobos
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Phobos » 05 Jul 2015, 10:13

Based on my experience, the trap always blows up in your face if your Disarm skill isn't high enough. If it is, the chance of disarming seems to be 100 %. I've never encountered an in-between situation. But I mostly play MM7, so it may be somewhat different in MM6.

Avonu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Avonu » 05 Jul 2015, 11:18

Each map has a Trap Value that represents how difficult it is to disarm all of traps on that map. To disarm a trap, a character must have a Disarm Trap power higher than the current's map Trap Value.

However you can avoid trap damage is your Perception skill is high enough.
The formula for avoiding trap damage is:
1. A random numer is generated between 0 and 20 (20 + Perception power).
2. If the Random Number is greater than 20, then the characte avoids the damage.
Or just use Telekinesis to open chests. ;)

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 06 Jul 2015, 20:33

Oh yea, that's right, I was thinking about damage, not unlocking itself. The damage dealt differs, that's why sometimes you die and sometimes you don't. And yea, perception helps.

Macros the Black
Druid
Druid

Re: How exactly does Disarm Trap skill work? (MM6)

Unread postby Macros the Black » 19 Aug 2015, 01:10

Avonu wrote:Each map has a Trap Value that represents how difficult it is to disarm all of traps on that map. To disarm a trap, a character must have a Disarm Trap power higher than the current's map Trap Value.
That's what I always thought, but it appears not to be the case. I reloaded to an earlier save to test this, and in the Misty Islands with a disarm trap skill of 4 basic, sometimes a trap explodes and sometimes it does not. It happens with all the chests in the area. I can reload and open the same chest and it can display different behaviour without me doing anything different.

Perhaps this happens when your skill is exactly the same as the trap value? Or perhaps half the time the game thinks I'm an expert disarmer even though I haven't visited the trainer yet? I'm pretty sure I've only experienced this while at level 4 basic so far.

Btw, this has nothing to do with it but certain special chests can act different than the area value (i.e. empty crate in Ironfist area, heavily trapped and high loot teleporting chest in Barrow Downs area).
You'd think Darkmoor was a ghost town, but instead there's plenty of life among the dead.

Avonu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Avonu » 19 Aug 2015, 09:27

Macros the Black wrote:That's what I always thought, but it appears not to be the case. I reloaded to an earlier save to test this, and in the Misty Islands with a disarm trap skill of 4 basic, sometimes a trap explodes and sometimes it does not. It happens with all the chests in the area. I can reload and open the same chest and it can display different behaviour without me doing anything different.
I don't know but maybe your Disarm Skill is lower then Trap Value. Don't forget that there is random number (0-20) generated and added to your Disarm Skill and then sum of both (Disarm power) is compared to Disarm Trap Value of chest. That's why you can sometimes disarm trap and sometimes it can blow up in your face(s).
Macros the Black wrote:Btw, this has nothing to do with it but certain special chests can act different than the area value (i.e. empty crate in Ironfist area, heavily trapped and high loot teleporting chest in Barrow Downs area).
IIRC some chests indeed have unique value, higher then Disarm Trap value for normal chests on the map. You should check game files to find more details (unfortunately I don't remember which ones).

BTB
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby BTB » 23 Mar 2019, 13:19

So, here's a question I'm actually not sure of the answer to off-hand... do bonuses from equipment or NPCs factor in before or after skill mastery bonus (i.e. double/triple level of skill)?
"You don't have to be a vampire to die like one... bitch." -Simon Belmont

Return to “Might and Magic”