DSFT.BIN

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
HushedDispatch
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

DSFT.BIN

Unread postby HushedDispatch » 03 May 2015, 20:24

So I am curious, using MM8LevelEditor how do I save DSFT.BIN changes?

I am trying to specify which pal files the sprites in game use. But every time I make the changes they don't save.

GrayFace
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby GrayFace » 04 May 2015, 12:40

You can install MMExt and edit it in Data\Tables\SFT.txt (appears after first run). The generated dsft.bin would be saved in DataFiles folder, so you can deploy it without MMExt dependence if you wish.
My patches: MM6 MM7 MM8. MMExtension. Tools. Also, I love Knytt Stories and Knytt Underground. I'm also known as sergroj.

HushedDispatch
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby HushedDispatch » 04 May 2015, 20:57

Thank You Grayface. I need to have your patch for that as well I believe, but to be honest.....I grew up being able to reuse spell scrolls and click between characters during battle. Yes it made things easier, but to me that is how it was suppose to be. I didn't learn of any of the patches until I had played the game through 10-12 times.

Is there a way to use your patch and make spell scrolls multiple use again? As well as being able to switch between characters in "combat mode"

HushedDispatch
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby HushedDispatch » 04 May 2015, 21:54

I figured it out I believe. However it seems that when replacing monsters with other monsters leaves their palettes messed up as seen in the attached picture.

I have assigned the correct palettes but they are still having image issues. Any ideas what is causing this? I took these monsters from Chaos Con. because I figured it would be easier to learn with something that is supposed to work than to test my images which might have issues.

GrayFace
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby GrayFace » 05 May 2015, 07:30

Are you sure you've assigned correct PaletteId to all frames of all monster variations in SFT.txt?
HushedDispatch wrote:Is there a way to use your patch and make spell scrolls multiple use again? As well as being able to switch between characters in "combat mode"
You're not the first one asking for this. I'll probably add options for that.
My patches: MM6 MM7 MM8. MMExtension. Tools. Also, I love Knytt Stories and Knytt Underground. I'm also known as sergroj.

HushedDispatch
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby HushedDispatch » 05 May 2015, 22:05

Yes I am pretty sure. What I did step by step is this.

First i looked inside the dsft file that you told me to use which mm6ext created. Just so i could understand it better. I caught on to how there is 3 copies of the monster animations which reprisent the different tiers of monster (goblin goblin shaman and goblin king for example)

Then I looked at all the sprites I wanted to take from the Chaos Conspiracy to add to the main game/replace monsters with. I then used the sprites name to search in the TCC dsft.bin file and find the TCC pal files i needed to extract from the TCC bitmaps.lod

Once i had all the sprites and their pal associated pal files I renamed all the pal files from pal500 to pal550 so that they would not replace any existing MM6 pals.

Then I renamed the sprites to replace the MM6 sprites I wanted replaced. As you can see I made goblins the little green troll dudes and mages the mask wearing caster.

Once that was completed, I added my pal files to the original bitmaps.lod and added my sprites to the original sprites.lod (replaced original sprites)

Then I opened the dsft file MM6Ext had created and began to edit all my new monsters palettes with a list I made by keeping them all in separate folders when i was deciding what I wanted and didnt want. Each monsters pal files were in their folder so i couldnt enter the wrong pal numbers.

But obviously i did something wrong because the only thing that did transfer over well is the female peasants. I used the TCC peasants and the females look great. The males look just like the picture i posted before. All grainy and discolored.

GrayFace
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby GrayFace » 06 May 2015, 11:42

HushedDispatch wrote:First i looked inside the dsft file that you told me to use which mm6ext created. Just so i could understand it better. I caught on to how there is 3 copies of the monster animations which reprisent the different tiers of monster (goblin goblin shaman and goblin king for example)
MMArchive can show palette numbers for each monster tier.
HushedDispatch wrote:Then I opened the dsft file MM6Ext had created and began to edit all my new monsters palettes with a list I made by keeping them all in separate folders when i was deciding what I wanted and didnt want.
Change SFT.txt instead, it's easier. In the next MMExt version your changes would have been undone as soon as you ran the game. The version on the site rebuilds dsft.bin from Data\Tables\SFT.txt when date of the latter is more recent, but the next version would do the rebuild whenever the dates don't match.

HushedDispatch
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby HushedDispatch » 06 May 2015, 16:24

Just reinstalled and redid everything with sft.txt instead of what I did before.

Same issue again.

Return to “Might and Magic”