Help With some MM6 graphics

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
HushedDispatch
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Help With some MM6 graphics

Unread postby HushedDispatch » 01 May 2015, 20:50

So I am doing a complete sound and graphic revamp for MM6 MDoH and I am trying to figure out how the transparency works. How do I ensure that the background of the images are transparent? Like what color do I use to make the background go blank in game.
Last edited by HushedDispatch on 03 May 2015, 20:22, edited 1 time in total.

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 01 May 2015, 21:14

IIRC the first colour of the palette is treated as transparent. Typically that's magenta, but may vary if you generate your own palettes.

HushedDispatch
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby HushedDispatch » 01 May 2015, 21:48

Obviously I am a nuber. I understand what you mean by palettes from the art stand point but how exactly do I determine palettes in photoshop? Or is there a better software I should be using....

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 01 May 2015, 21:59

You generate a palette (colourmap) by setting the mode to indexed. Then you can view it and change colours around and whatnot (in GIMP: http://docs.gimp.org/en/gimp-concepts-palettes.html ).

I don't recall whether you absolutely need to export and import the palette and set the image to use it, or the import tools take care of that themselves nowadays. Hmm.

HushedDispatch
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby HushedDispatch » 01 May 2015, 23:56

thank you so much man! I will be sure to post my work somewhere. I have been using resources from Chaos Conspiracy, Skyrim, Fallout, Oblivion, and various other sources to make my mod. I am hoping it turns out awesome!

HushedDispatch
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby HushedDispatch » 03 May 2015, 08:33

What could cause this

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 03 May 2015, 08:52

Definitely an incorrect palette. Hmm, there are different tiers of enemies, and they all have their palette swaps, so I think there should be some way to assign which enemy uses which palette file. Maybe in one of the .txt files?

HushedDispatch
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby HushedDispatch » 03 May 2015, 09:07

Ill keep looking then. I used MMArchives advice when doing my pallette swaps and it mentioned just with monsters just to change the hue twice so that I had 3 pallettes.

Does there have to be a certain amount of difference? or is it just not smashing all the pallettes together and I have to edit something I wonder....Ill still be working into it if you come up with something please lemme know =D

HushedDispatch
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby HushedDispatch » 03 May 2015, 09:11

Think I may have found it. DSFT.BIN inside of Icons.LOD appears to assign images. I will see if I can fix it and fill you in.

HushedDispatch
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby HushedDispatch » 03 May 2015, 10:06

Well that was definitely the problem. As simple as graphic mods are for this game I was trying to take some shortcuts.

I am gonna reinstall the game and compare all the default monsters like mr cobra here to his default pallete before moving him around.
Last edited by HushedDispatch on 03 May 2015, 19:50, edited 1 time in total.

HushedDispatch
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby HushedDispatch » 03 May 2015, 17:33

Could you or Grayface please explain how to read this? What does each column affect?

I am having an issue with my sprites trying to use incorrect palettes vs my own.

CATMAN
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Re:

Unread postby CATMAN » 16 Mar 2023, 23:58

HushedDispatch wrote: 01 May 2015, 23:56 I have been using resources from Skyrim, Fallout, Oblivion, and various other sources to make my mod.
...funny to see all this in merged...

Return to “Might and Magic”