Working on an extensive MM7 mod... here's what I've got.

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
BTB
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby BTB » 15 May 2015, 20:40

Paviel wrote:Since the Archmage promotion quest is to find the last remaining copy of the Book of Divine Intervention, I think it's odd to make Archmages unable to use it.
Yeah, I had thought about that, too. I sort of justified it by imagining that the mages serve the priests.
"You don't have to be a vampire to die like one... bitch." -Simon Belmont

Paviel
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Paviel » 15 May 2015, 21:14

Plus, Gavin Magnus (who teaches GM Light magic) is an Archmage rather than a Priest of Light.

Honestly, there's a better case for Archmages being able to use GM Light magic than Priests of Light.

BTB
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby BTB » 16 May 2015, 23:32

Yeah, this is one of those cases where the lore is at odds with game balance, and I'm going with balance >.>

Anyhow, I'm still plodding along. As always, this has ended up being a shitton more work than I was expecting. The major thing today was the realization that I can make in-game stat boosts (wells, shrines, and barrels) be more or less effective depending on the character's race, which should be a huge boon to helping me keep them more individualized longer into the game.

BTB
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby BTB » 18 May 2015, 00:48

So, I spent a good portion of today dicking around with potions. The good news is that the overwhelming majority of what I want to do looks easily editable in the .bin - tedious, but doable. The bad news (maybe) is that I haven't tested it out yet and I may very well be incorrect in that assumption, at which point I sort of have a big mess that I'm left with no other choice but to dump into Grayface's lap.

Anyhow, here's what I've got going on.

First off, red and blue potions being on equal footing - even at the very beginning of the game - is problematic. Blue potions are far much more useful since you can get a lot more HP restoration out of them by casting Heal. The only advantages of red potions is that they can be quaffed endlessly in mid-battle and they don't use up valuable blue reagents - nice, but not enough. My solution is to make green the new SP restoration potion, which serves both to make basic Alchemy a more useful skill to obtain and also to make all three reagents valuable in the early game.

Next up, many white potions tend to show up well beyond the point where they would have been useful. This coincides nicely with most of the layered potions acting as either inferior versions of the spells they emulate or, in the case of Haste, extremely broken versions. Resistance and weapon-enhancing (Freezing/Flaming/Shocking/Noxious) potions are now layered concoctions, whereas most of the previous layered potion effects are now exclusively available in spell or scroll format.

(Also, it was *really* weird having single-character versions of party-wide spells like Shield and Stoneskin. Just sayin'.)

Divine Power and Divine Cure being on the same level doesn't have the same problem as their weaker counterparts do purely because of Divine Cure's strength - it's much more potent than anything you can cast as far as sheer healing strength goes. Divine Restoration got booted purely because I didn't feel like invalidating all of the status-curing potions before it, and Stone to Flesh is now a white potion instead of a black one. Because reasons.

Black potions, finally, are nice and all, but they really don't have much going for them aside from being able to make pure potions or rejuvenation on demand. In fact, that's really all there is in the black potion line for the most part, so I tried to think of what other spells might do good as black potions (and lend some much-needed allure to Druidism). I figured Raise Dead and Pain Reflection were the two spells that would work well as potions, so that's what I went with.

Of course, that last bit above is the one thing I *can't* do on my own - and so is yet another item for the list of things I'll need to bed Grayface to help me out with.

BTB
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby BTB » 18 May 2015, 19:26

BTB wrote:Of course, that last bit above is the one thing I *can't* do on my own - and so is yet another item for the list of things I'll need to bed Grayface to help me out with.
That, um... was supposed to say "beg" >.>

BTB
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby BTB » 11 Jun 2015, 10:49

Just made a very large update to my initial post outlining all of the progress that's been made on the mod in the last few weeks.

Phobos
Demon
Demon

Re: Working on an extensive MM7 mod... here's what I've got.

Unread postby Phobos » 04 Jan 2016, 17:32

Any progress on this? This is such a promising mod I'd love to play it myself sometime :)

BTB
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby BTB » 10 Aug 2016, 21:21

Sorry I've been MIA for a little bit. I got caught up on one of my other modding projects - Final Fantasy VI: Brave New World (which I'm sure I've mentioned before because I'm a shameless whore) and then some IRL stuff. But I do want to get this thing done at some point.

It's just going to be a matter of sitting down with Greyface's new tools and actually figuring out what I can and cannot do.

Echo
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Echo » 11 Aug 2016, 14:26

I actually like Detect Life spell. It's nice for seeing how much HP monsters have that's more specific than the HP bar. Especially with no identify monster skill. Just saying :)

SparrowJacek
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby SparrowJacek » 11 Mar 2017, 16:21

Hi, is the mod still in progress?

If so, here are some of my ideas for better balance:
-to do something about protection from magic spell - on GM you don't really have to worry about anything, your party can tank all these nasty effects of blood titans and such, there was no such spell in MM6 so people had to be extremely careful(especially late in game), now party with cleric has MUCH easier time than any other and this spell somehow diminishes the effect of more creatures having status changing abilities

-to somehow lower possibility of having black potions, mostly in shops(disable them entirely?) - that would increase value of GM alchemy even further

-to increase amount of creatures that use ranged weapons(physical damage) for shield spell(and GM shield) isn't really that useful

Will your mode make the game harder as addition to balancing?

What about money? Usually you have great financial problems till like lvl 15 and then even without merchant you don't have to worry about that any more.

And one more question - will all light/dark magic spells remain unchanged? I know that they're supposed to be the most powerful ones, but day of protection for example renders ALL +resistance spells useless, since they give +4 res and it can give +5. Why not make it cast all these spells but with lesser effect? Like 2 at M and 3 at GM?

ThatRaccoonGuy
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby ThatRaccoonGuy » 31 Oct 2017, 12:44

Is there any way to download this mod, since I get a 404 error when I use the provided links?

BTB
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby BTB » 02 Nov 2017, 11:49

Development is stalled for the time being since I'm waiting on a version of MMEditor that will let me do a few key things I'm interested in doing.

ThatRaccoonGuy
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby ThatRaccoonGuy » 02 Nov 2017, 13:17

BTB wrote:Development is stalled for the time being since I'm waiting on a version of MMEditor that will let me do a few key things I'm interested in doing.
Damn! I've been so excited to break out MM7 again. I hope Ludmeister's mod is good, if yours is so far away.

Konfuzius
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Konfuzius » 17 May 2019, 12:45

Sorry for unburying this old topic, but does somebody still have the mod files lying around? (since the links have broken by now)
I want to have another playthrough of MM7 and the mod seemed interesting enough to check out.

BTB
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby BTB » 17 May 2019, 20:09

It's not yet made. I've made progress in getting some things done, but there's no build as I'm still waiting on being able to do certain things.

Konfuzius
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Konfuzius » 17 May 2019, 22:20

Ah, my bad. The way I understood you already had a release in the past and only halted development of future releases.
May I ask how you made changes to spells, like Regeneration? I've also been modding the game for years but never managed to change the actual spell behaviour.

I did re-balance the SP cost and damage calculation for simple spells (with spells2.txt), but those options are rather shallow.
Help, Pretty please? :D

BTB
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby BTB » 17 May 2019, 22:30

I didn't change spells. That's one of the things I'm waiting on.

Eksekk
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Eksekk » 15 Jul 2021, 14:34

Any updates? I would loooove to play your version of MM7 :-D
Unfinished mod by me: MM7 Rev4 mod, MMMerge version.

Return to “Might and Magic”