Day of the Serious Destroyer - Difficulty Mod for MM8

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
Ser Ironfist
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Day of the Serious Destroyer - Difficulty Mod for MM8

Unread postby Ser Ironfist » 12 Jul 2014, 09:38

Update 2022 - New version

Can be downloaded here: https://www.nexusmods.com/mightandmagic ... escription
Monsters

-More health points and generally better stats for most monsters

-Powerful items are found less frequently

-Most monsters give less gold and experience

-Locations of some monsters were changed

-Monsters that weren’t used much are given more important roles

NPC’s

Frederick Talimere (cleric), Devlin Arcanus (necromancer) and Elsbeth Lamentia (vampire) from Dagger Wound Island:
-levels lowered from 5 to 1, no more dark or light magic

Gethric Mercutua (vampire) and Nathaniel Roberts (necromancer) from Shadowspire:
levels lowered from 15 to 5
-weaker abilities (no more dark magic spells for Nathaniel Roberts)

Ithilgore (dragon) from Garrote Gorge:
-turned into a troll called Ithil Gore (lvl 5)

Cauri Blackthorne (dark elf) from Murmurwoods
-level lowered from 50 to 20, has weaker abilities and worse equipment than before

Blazen Stormlance (knight) from a quest in Shadowspire:
-level lowered from 50 to 30, weaker abilities

Turned every remaining level 50 NPC into level 40, along with giving them slighty weaker abilities

Changed portrait of Nelix Uriel (knight with headband is available three times in the game) from Garrote Gorge into a female portrait that wasn’t used for any NPC yet, now called Jaerin Uriel

Changed portraits of Maylander and Dervish Chevron (blonde male cleric, exists three times also) from Ravenshore into female portraits, neither of them was used for an NPC yet, now called Lianne Maylanderand Rija Chevron

Changed portrait of Infaustus, vampire from Shadowspire, into a different female vampire, her portrait is already used by Elsbeth Lamentia from Dagger Wound

Spells

-water, earth, fire, air and body, spirit, mind spells: value x2
-light and dark magic: value x4
-some spells even more expensive

Installation:

1. Download the .zip file from the download section and unpack it.

2. Locate you Might and Magic 8 folder. Copy the file „EnglishT“ into the folder „Data“ and replace existing.

The changes will appear only when starting a new game or after having maps respawn (changes to npcs only work on a new game).

Recommended to be played with the Might and Magic 8 Grayface Patch.
Last edited by Ser Ironfist on 13 Mar 2022, 19:23, edited 11 times in total.

Konfuzius
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Konfuzius » 12 Jul 2014, 14:20

That's cool, thank you :)

Years ago I made something similar to MM6 monsters to make the game more interesting but out of all MMs, Day of Destruction needed it the most.

I think these monster mods should be part of the "Might and Magic mods, projects and stuff (updated)" thread, otherwise I'm sure they will be forgotten sooner or later.

I don't know when my next MM8 is coming, but it will certainly have this mod :)

Arret
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby Arret » 23 Jul 2014, 13:42

MM8 was pretty easy, but the biggest problem was the early access to abusive NPCs. If you remove Cauri, Blazen, and the first two dragons the game plays better, but is still far too easy.

Also what is the difference between this and the SURVIVAL mod?

viewtopic.php?t=14556&highlight=survival

the beavers1
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby the beavers1 » 25 Jul 2014, 05:39

Arret wrote: Also what is the difference between this and the SURVIVAL mod?
viewtopic.php?t=14556&highlight=survival
well from what Ive read on this post, this one changes the spell prices, decreases the level or increased the levels of some of the NPC's, changes the Spawn locations of some, changes the spells of some, made buying certain spells more expensive, and overall this mod does some nit-picking changes compared to the other one that changes all of them by the same degree
"Rot in Hell You Penny Pinching Miser!"

Ser Ironfist
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Ser Ironfist » 27 Jul 2014, 17:31

Sooner or later I'm going to upload a new version with some more changes. I will give more detailed information (screenshots) too. But I need to play the game once again before.

Variol
Wraith
Wraith

Unread postby Variol » 29 Jul 2014, 22:25

Ser Ironfist wrote:Sooner or later I'm going to upload a new version with some more changes. I will give more detailed information (screenshots) too. But I need to play the game once again before.
I look forward to it. :)

Ser Ironfist
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Ser Ironfist » 08 Aug 2014, 17:38

I just replaced the old version by a new one. I also removed the 2x hp version, because I think it is not necessary.

In the following screenshots you can see some examples for the changes I made.

The new ogre hierarchy. The stacks are no more 3x fighter and 3x mage, but fighter, mage, fighter and mage, mage, fighter.

Similar changes concerning pirates. You will meet a mix of common pirates, crossbowmen and wizards in Daggerwound Island.

Other creatures got a new territory to spawn. For example in the Earth Plane I replaced boulders by juggernauts and juggernauts by others (I don't want to spoiler too much :D).

Bestial lycanthropes and shapeshifters are now serpentmen instead of rats whilst bestial animalists still appear as rats. You will meet other creatures in the abandonned temple instead of serpentmen so you wont be able to get the prophecies of the sun right at the beginning!

I always hated the fact, that baby dragons are as big as other dragons whilst they are not stronger than a wasp. The wimpy dragons are much stronger now. You can imagine that the other dragons will be kinda powerful now. :)

I tried to involve some of the creatures that only appear as friendly guards in the vanilla game. In the screenshots you might have discovered them. ;)
Besides I used some of the effects of the previous games like "asleep", "unconscious" or "erradicate". I always tried to let everything be lore friendly.
All in all I made changes to nearly every monster. Monsters like wasps and ravens appear in vast numbers so it did not feel necessary to strengthen them.

As I said, I don't want to spoiler more. That is why I did not say a word about the ending of the game. Be sure, it will be a lot more challenging! ;)

Variol
Wraith
Wraith

Unread postby Variol » 09 Aug 2014, 00:48

did you increase the XP for killing monsters as well?

Ser Ironfist
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Ser Ironfist » 09 Aug 2014, 07:52

Variol wrote:did you increase the XP for killing monsters as well?
You can earn more xp from those monsters that are more powerful than before. So yes, you will get more xp at all.

Ser Ironfist
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Re: [Mod] Might & Magic VIII - Day of the serious Destro

Unread postby Ser Ironfist » 18 Jan 2015, 21:57

Hey, I just uploaded my trailer to youtube.
I also changed the first post. It looks a bit better now and the mod has a name. :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Il1y-Vv ... e=youtu.be

praxis
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby praxis » 01 Apr 2015, 20:23

Interesting. I am checking this out. Never got far in MM8 due to getting bored. Overpowered NPCs still there ? Should I avoid them ?

Ser Ironfist
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Ser Ironfist » 09 Apr 2015, 20:20

I made some changes to NPC's like decreasing Ithilgore's (the dragon) LVL from 5 to 1 or taking Dark Magic spells from early game necromancers.
I did not make Cauri weaker, because I think she should be as powerful as she is (for lore reasons). But now it should be more difficult to reach her. It was easy to dodge basiliks and light elementals, but now you've got some faster and more dangerous creatures there in addition to basilisks.

Konfuzius
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Konfuzius » 13 Apr 2015, 17:54

Very good mod.

I just finished my annual playthough of MM8 and because of your mod it took much longer than I anticipated.

Foremost, it was the first half which I enjoyed the most. The battles were hard, gold was limited and you only had a narrow range of spells, I liked it a lot! It made you think about your next move.

You made a lot of good decisions, like giving Devlion no dark magic, as well as the new monster placements. I can say that the atmosphere benefitted greatly from your changes.

However, once you level up your party and found Caurie (lol, I just found her on accident by randomly wandering through the forest).

You should really consider weakening easily accessable level 50 characters. Imo you can get Blazen Stormlance even faster than Caurie, and this level 50 Lich comes pre equipped with every dark spell, which saves you a true fortune.

Also, you should give more units full immunity or very high resistance to mind, earth and light magic, as all of those schools have gamebreaking spells.

I'm not kidding, but berserk, paralyze and slow are very powerful when you know how to use it. With berserk you can easily kill all the dragon slayers and most of the Nagas to generate a great supply of cash.

Slow makes units ridiculously easy to kill and paralyze is just op when you use it on 3k+ monsters.

Could you maybe make the later monsters even more powerful? Especially the dragons should have a higher attack rating imho. With hour of power and day of protection you are really really put much into danger and cleric heals nihilate the rest of the incoming damage.

But that were just my suggestions and experiences with your mod, I still loved playing it :). Sadly, this mod made me see that MM8 suffers from more problems other than just a lack of challenge...

It kinda makes me want to play MM7 again and work on my own small mod again xD

Ser Ironfist
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Ser Ironfist » 14 Apr 2015, 18:20

Thanks a lot! :)

Your suggestions are very welcome. I never really used Earth Magic a lot, so I did not have Slow in mind. Same goes for berserk. That spell always felt more like something to have fun with for 10 minutes instead of a seriously useful spell. ^^
Making the high level opponents even more powerful is something I have been afraid of, because the hp numbers already looked insanley high in some cases. ^^ I'm going to make a list of things that need changes.

Imo MM8 is missing large dungeons. MM6 had a lot of them, 7 a few. That sort of dungeon where you are happy to see the sky again after finishing it. Things like the druids crown also show that there would have been room for much more.

koval321
War Dancer
War Dancer

Re: [Mod] Might & Magic VIII - Day of the serious Destroyer

Unread postby koval321 » 04 Feb 2016, 11:08

I played it many times and found some shortcuts like for example:
Skip dagger wound island by walk on water in combat mode to boat
Fast cash and level up by Cauri Blackthorne quest
Trade between Shaodwspire and Ravenshore
Buy armageddon spell and level up to max
Skip all main quest by take 4 plane crystals in invisibility (from scrolls)

So I would like to see mod making these points more challenging

Bandobras Took
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Bandobras Took » 04 Feb 2016, 14:17

koval321 wrote: Skip dagger wound island by walk on water in combat mode to boat
Slightly off-topic, but I never thought of that. How does combat mode affect walking across the water?
Far too many people speak their minds without first verifying the quality of their source material.

Baronus
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Baronus » 04 Feb 2016, 15:17

I think that combat mode hurts too. You can walk with Talimere. He can cure. I tested it. But there is no theme for that. Its about mod.
Very good idea. I tested it and adding another pirats which are no used is shot in ten. I suggest respawning X2 and some location X5 like prison air lord or vampire crypt.

koval321
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby koval321 » 08 Feb 2016, 20:14

you can easy walk to boat on water without healer, maybe 2-3 flasks of healing potion (walk in combat mode) am always skip dagger wound island

survival
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby survival » 11 Feb 2016, 17:26

Rised spawn monsters to x5-x10

Locations Respawn 90 days

http://www.filedropper.com/englisht

Baronus
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Baronus » 11 Feb 2016, 19:09

Interesting. This game needs modding especially.
I think that it maybe another levels.
easy monster health/2 experience X2
normal like orginal
middle number of monster X2 and in easy locations X5
master number of monster X4 or 10 experience/2
Imposible number of monster X8 or 20 (is it possible?) monster health X2 experience/4

Return to “Might and Magic”