Might and Magic X

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
jeff

Unread postby jeff » 22 Oct 2013, 23:53

Marzhin wrote:And Ubi's legal department's motto seems to be "in case of doubt, abstain from doing it".
I think they still have nightmares of the whole Heroes V/Warhammer thing.
It's not just UBI, most corporations are not willing to walk the copyright minefield.
Mala Ipsa Nova :bugsquash:

Ravenheart87
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Ravenheart87 » 29 Oct 2013, 09:30

Marzhin wrote:Also there were some worries that the old system may have been a bit too close to Dungeons & Dragons, which might have been problematic (the current owners of D&D, Wizards of the Coast, are more controlling of their IP and rule set than TSR were back in the day).
TSR in the nineties was way worse than WotC ever. ;)

By the way with since the 3rd edition of D&D there is the OGL and SRD, which tell you which parts of the mechanics and elements can you use and reproduce. That's the reason why so many D&D clones appeared in the last decade.

Talin_Trollbane
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Talin_Trollbane » 20 Dec 2013, 18:32

just so you'll know, i uploaded a video of the new (work-in-process) animation speed of monsters and combat.

http://youtu.be/MyRpeLXMXxM
Ultima, Elder Scrolls and Might and Magic Veteran.

DataPack
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby DataPack » 21 Dec 2013, 01:15

Talin_Trollbane wrote:just so you'll know, i uploaded a video of the new (work-in-process) animation speed of monsters and combat.

http://youtu.be/MyRpeLXMXxM
The party movement still looks a little clunky but it's definitely an improvement. (It might just be the video since it's only 30 fps)

Avonu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Avonu » 22 Dec 2013, 18:18

So silence... You could think, that no one here is waiting for this game. :P

Anyway, a preview of ACT II from RPG Codex.

wimfrits
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby wimfrits » 24 Dec 2013, 09:21

Nice preview. I'm getting more psyched by the minute. :oex:
Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?

skinothetis1
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby skinothetis1 » 29 Dec 2013, 01:22

I found the tile based system stupid, to say the least. And even more stupid people comparing it to the old M&M system. When you have a pathfinder and mountaineer skill let me know so we can compare.
My favorite M&M game is Xeen so stop insulting our intelligence by comparing MMX to Xeen.
Anyhow i hope everything else is at least better than MMIX.
You have nowhere to run Sheltem. Nore do you!You motherf$#(*@ device!!

Talin_Trollbane
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Talin_Trollbane » 31 Dec 2013, 16:49

skinothetis1 wrote:I found the tile based system stupid, to say the least. And even more stupid people comparing it to the old M&M system. When you have a pathfinder and mountaineer skill let me know so we can compare.
My favorite M&M game is Xeen so stop insulting our intelligence by comparing MMX to Xeen.
Anyhow i hope everything else is at least better than MMIX.
i compare it more to MM2, and i would love for there to be room for mountaineering and pathfinding in MMX.
Ultima, Elder Scrolls and Might and Magic Veteran.

namad
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

it's out TODAY!

Unread postby namad » 23 Jan 2014, 19:30

now I AGREE! xeen is clearly a bigger and more deep game. MMX-legacy early access that I played was HEAVILY dumbed down. CLEARLY.

however presumably 3do was a big triple A publisher when they made xeen? and the guys making MMX-legacy are a small team?

furthermore pathfinder and moutaineering work much better with worse graphics. Although I think there could have been ways to make them work in MMX (say by letting mountaineering letting you travel through a single mountain tile to a non-mountain tile on the other side so that your view was never totally obscured by the mountain?)

Bandobras Took
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Bandobras Took » 23 Jan 2014, 19:45

Across the years, following the forums of several of my favorite games, as they have progressed from sequel to sequel, I have learned that when someone says "dumbed down," they're completely mistaken. The inevitable follow-up claim is that this is done to "appeal to the masses," which in the case of this game is laughable. Never mind treating early access as anything other than what it is.

On a side note, before accusing others of dumbing something down, remember to make sure you aren't part of their putative target audience. 3do had nothing to do with Xeen.
Far too many people speak their minds without first verifying the quality of their source material.

Asomath
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Asomath » 23 Jan 2014, 20:18

Ah... here it is. I've been waiting a long time for this. Steam is downloading... at 700 kb/s so it'll take a bit.

I'm going to judge this game solely as a standalone to see if I enjoy it. Then I'll see how well it fits in the Might and Magic feel. I can feel there was a a lot of care put into this game during its development cycle, even though it seemed to be some shoved off mini-game in the dark corners of Ubi.

Lets all hope the game is a success and well-received, by more than just the MM fans. I'd love to see another!

Cheers,
~Asomath

the beavers1
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby the beavers1 » 24 Jan 2014, 02:02

I want to play the game, but I don't think Ill be able to any time soon, the minimum reqs for the game trump my comp, I only have single core 2.4 ghz processor (amd 64 athalon) 2.5 GB of ram, a Geforce Gt 430 (1GB) video card and Windows xp sp3, so sadly enough I probably won't play for a long time :(
"Rot in Hell You Penny Pinching Miser!"

skinothetis1
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby skinothetis1 » 24 Jan 2014, 07:05

Well i have a 2.53 Intel Duo with an Intel on board graphic chip (ouch!) and i still managed to load the game but the buttons for left-right etc we missing and the inventory etc. But the landscape looked fine(pressed the forward button by clicking allover the screen and i moved a little).So it does not have THAT high requirements.If i get a 25$ graphic card i should be able to play it fine.
Now before you say anything, i managed to play the full intro game on a friend of mine(that is before it crashed somewhere in the 2nd act).
You have nowhere to run Sheltem. Nore do you!You motherf$#(*@ device!!

Lord13
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Lord13 » 24 Jan 2014, 08:47

Played around 5-6 hours yesterday! Is running perfect at my pc ( i5 2500 core, 8gb ram, at HD 6770 gpu), the gpu is on fire sometimes (you can hear it when the fan is working at 80-90% :P) but no problems, no crashes, no fps drops etc. at all. Also did not find any bug! Anyway, the game so far is great! With few words I would say is "a modern World of Xeen" , oldschool at many elements of the game but at fresh package. Funs of old MnM and Wizardry games will enjoy it for sure! I will post more comments when I will finish my first playthrough. (Btw, I hate Uplay...)
Every man dies...
Every beast dies...
Only heroes live forever!

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 24 Jan 2014, 09:14

Everyone sounds happy. So, we have hit?

I dare say so! :D
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

Marzhin
Pit Lord
Pit Lord

Unread postby Marzhin » 24 Jan 2014, 10:35

While some reviews are a bit lukewarm (but that was not totally unexpected) we're getting a lot of love from the players and that's what matters in the end :)

Asomath
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Asomath » 24 Jan 2014, 14:03

I've been a big proponent of the original lore when attached to the Might and Magic RPG series.

However, the game so far has plenty of entertainment value, a fantastic intro (I really got a feel for the political undercurrents, as I did with the Might and Magic prologue in VI), and enough nods to the old story that it doesn't feel like its stepping on toes.

I'm actually starting to feel like I might not mind playing a few games in Ashan.

Now, I'm going to go binge the game for real today (I'm completely free). Lets see if the magic can hold!

~Asomath

Bandobras Took
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Bandobras Took » 24 Jan 2014, 14:29

I'm not completely free until Sunday. :( And regretting it.
Far too many people speak their minds without first verifying the quality of their source material.

jeff

Unread postby jeff » 24 Jan 2014, 17:46

I am also fairly busy right now; but how do you play when not attached to the internet? I thought it would be in game options but did not see it. Not an issue right now but should I decide not to use uplay what is it I need do?
Mala Ipsa Nova :bugsquash:

Avonu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Avonu » 24 Jan 2014, 17:57

You can play game with offline mode, however I don't know how UPlay will be working (and if it start) without net connections. To play MMX you need to start UPlay first (a.k.a. same situation as for Steam games).

I'm downloading patch (6 GB 8| ), so it will be a while before I would play MMX.
You can start game without patch, but when you start downloading it via UPlay, it seems you can't play the game until patching process is finished.

Return to “Might and Magic”