GrayFace MM7 Patch v2.5.7 [Mar 4, 2022]

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
Priesten
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Priesten » 31 Mar 2012, 21:59

I am not sure what you want me to do. The rar contains only a .dll file and a folder with only a .bmp (and the folder is named data so if i extract it to the mm7 folder it will replace the current data folder with this one). The .dll doesn't replace any existing .dll in the current folder so it doesn't seem to make any difference. Do I use this in addition to the regular files from the greyface patch somehow ?

tolich
Spectre
Spectre

Unread postby tolich » 01 Apr 2012, 00:03

Priesten wrote:I am not sure what you want me to do.
To install GrayFace's latest patch and then extract this archive into MM7 folder.
Priesten wrote:the folder is named data so if i extract it to the mm7 folder it will replace the current data folder with this one.
No, it won't. Winrar doesn't replace folders when extract files, just adds new files and replaces existing ones.

Zareth
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Zareth » 02 Apr 2012, 05:07

I'm having a similar problem. When I run MM7.exe after applying both the 1.6.1 patch and the one that was posted just a few days ago, I get the same result where the game crashes before even getting to any of the opening screens. I see a gray screen for a bit and then crash.

Could it have something to do with DirectX 11?

My specs:
i5 460M processor
intel HD graphics
4 Gb DDR3 ram
Windows 7 home 64-bit

Not sure what other info to post. And yes, I'm trying to run this game on my laptop (so I can play at work ^_^)

Edit: Going to get it off of GOG since it says that one is compatible.

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 03 Apr 2012, 15:27

Priesten wrote:Thanks for the reply. However, the problem still persists. I even downloaded a few different "versions" of directx 9, one being even 150mb. A friend of mine said that directx 9 would only work if the other directx were uninstalled which isnt possible since win7 uses directx11 in the background.
No, installing DirectX 9 adds the DirectX 9 libraries into the system. By default, Win7 has DirectX 10 and DirectX 11 libraries, and none of the older ones. Installing DX9 doesn't change what you read in DXDiag, but it does fix some issues.

Although, according to GrayFace, it's a configuration issue rather than a DX issue.

Priesten
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Priesten » 03 Apr 2012, 20:50

The patch didn't help, unfortunately. I've been in contact with GOG's support and after looking at my dxdiag file I got the reply to try and make sure I don't have a firewall that blocks access to certain files, or try to install the game outside of the program files map (none of which worked for me either by the way).

But from those two suggestions it seems that they concluded it's not a problem with my settings or hardware but rather something on my computer that prevents access to files that are needed for the game to start. Since I also spent a 7+ extra hours doing everything on the GOG faq in hopes of getting it to finally work, I seem to have exhausted every single possibility in existence. The only thing left (which I will try right after making this post), is a complete format of my computer.

Zareth
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Zareth » 04 Apr 2012, 06:44

I sent them some screenshots of the errors I was getting before and after Grayface's patch. Hopefully a solution gets found. I'd love to play MM7 without having to get a separate computer for it.

Edit: Hazaah! Found the solution to my problem at least. After making sure to run the MM7 settings file, I went into the mm7.ini file and changed the opening movies value to 1.

These two lines here:
"NoDeathMovie=1
NoIntro=1"

Seems to have allowed the game to go to the startup screen at least now. Time for further testing!

Priesten
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Priesten » 04 Apr 2012, 21:36

Zareth wrote:I sent them some screenshots of the errors I was getting before and after Grayface's patch. Hopefully a solution gets found. I'd love to play MM7 without having to get a separate computer for it.

Edit: Hazaah! Found the solution to my problem at least. After making sure to run the MM7 settings file, I went into the mm7.ini file and changed the opening movies value to 1.

These two lines here:
"NoDeathMovie=1
NoIntro=1"

Seems to have allowed the game to go to the startup screen at least now. Time for further testing!
I just wanted to say that you are a GOD. This fixed it for me. I'm so happy now and I'm playing mm7. Thanks to this patch which creates that .ini file in the first place, because there doesn't seem to be one in vanilla mode. I also really like that haste is finally fixed, it really makes a huge difference.

Am currently playing a light side archer/archer/archer/cleric team. I figure that with maxed out light magic I'll have a team that not only does max melee damage (both damage and speed caps will get maxed eventually) but is also killer at range. Shrapmetal spam is still always the best choice but it gets boring pretty quick :P Thanks to everyone for helping out, and thanks for making an awesome patch.

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 04 Apr 2012, 21:44

Curious, very curious. Without this option, does it make any difference if the window is in windowed mode or fullscreen? Since videos are indeed acting very strangely on Win7 x64, and for me (and several others) freezing in fullscreen, while running fine in windowed mode.

Zareth
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Zareth » 05 Apr 2012, 00:16

If it wasn't for Grayface and crew coming out with their patches, we wouldn't have gotten this far I think. I'm just glad that I can play ^_^

Now if I can just beat that dragon on Emerald Isle...

Priesten
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Priesten » 05 Apr 2012, 13:55

GreatEmerald wrote:Curious, very curious. Without this option, does it make any difference if the window is in windowed mode or fullscreen? Since videos are indeed acting very strangely on Win7 x64, and for me (and several others) freezing in fullscreen, while running fine in windowed mode.
It still crashes just the same in windowed (and yes I'm using 16bit color when using windowed mode).
Zareth wrote:If it wasn't for Grayface and crew coming out with their patches, we wouldn't have gotten this far I think. I'm just glad that I can play ^_^

Now if I can just beat that dragon on Emerald Isle...
I beat it just today with only 1 monk at level 1 (killed off the three others at the start so that my monk is solo), while in melee range. Didn't even save/load that much. Just listen to the sound of the dragons shots and you can avoid the projectile quite easily.

By the way, one bug I noticed in this patch (not sure if it is fixed in the later versions of greyface patch, since I think I'm using a bit older version, from GOG). The spear skill is slightly broken. Expert is supposed to increase damage per skill, but it doesn't do that. Instead, it comes into play when you become master.

Priesten
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Priesten » 05 Apr 2012, 21:08

Another bug - Monks are completely unaffected by armsmaster mastery damage bonus.

Using only fist: Attack and speed applies correctly, but damage not.
Using only staff (no grandmastery synergy): Attack, speed and damage all apply correctly.
Using staff at grandmastery(enables unarmed at the same time): Damage from armsmaster is again switched off. Attack and speed is applied correctly.

tolich
Spectre
Spectre

Unread postby tolich » 05 Apr 2012, 21:32

Priesten wrote:Another bug - Monks are completely unaffected by armsmaster mastery damage bonus.

Using only fist: Attack and speed applies correctly, but damage not.
Using only staff (no grandmastery synergy): Attack, speed and damage all apply correctly.
Using staff at grandmastery(enables unarmed at the same time): Damage from armsmaster is again switched off. Attack and speed is applied correctly.
Ehh, 'arms' in 'armsmaster' means 'weapon', not 'hands'. So it's really a bug, actually unarmed fighting must not be affected by armsmaster skill at all.

Priesten
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Priesten » 05 Apr 2012, 21:49

The definition of the word arms, or whether it should or should not work togeather is irrellevant. I'm point out the inconsistency in how the skills work, and that if you look at how all the skills work in the current version, you will see that the skills do not work the way the developers intended thanks to what probably would be an oversight while coding the game. Just like how haste didn't work at all, and was later fixed. Disregarding that I personally think it's a completely overpowered spell and imo the game would be better off without it, the game should work the way the developers meant for it to work.

Armsmaster gives some bonuses while others not. Either it should give no bonuses or all bonuses. This is clearly an oversight from the developers of the game. And armsmaster working properly with staff (without grandmastery) and then later on losing half the bonuses when your skill advances after grandmastery is the same type of oversight. My take on this is that armsmaster should either give full or no bonuses to regular style unarmed, but full bonus while using only staff (since it is a weapon), but also full bonus at staff grandmaster since the skill clearly states it should work in conjunction with the unarmed skill. In other words it's like using two weapons, and if one of them benefits from armsmaster, then obviously armsmaster bonuses should apply. The bonuses work properly with regular "ungranded" staff skill, after all.

Second, hammerhands stop working when you equip staff, even with grandmastery. To me, this is more of a grey zone but it feels like a completely pointless spell if it doesn't work with the skills that the developers intended for the monk to use.

UndeadHalfOrc
Cyber Zombie
Cyber Zombie

Unread postby UndeadHalfOrc » 06 Apr 2012, 15:55

I disagree - I believe it was intended that Armsmaster NOT work with Unarmed. The monk would be way too strong if that was the case.

Armsmaster for Monk exists in case you wanna go for a spear or sword build.

UndeadHalfOrc
Cyber Zombie
Cyber Zombie

Unread postby UndeadHalfOrc » 07 Apr 2012, 02:07

Grayface, while not a bug per se, could you please make the MM7 Regen spell exactly like MM8, as in, not completely overpowered? 50 HP every few seconds at the GM level is excessive, no?

Zareth
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Zareth » 07 Apr 2012, 08:46

Priesten wrote: I beat it just today with only 1 monk at level 1 (killed off the three others at the start so that my monk is solo), while in melee range. Didn't even save/load that much. Just listen to the sound of the dragons shots and you can avoid the projectile quite easily.

By the way, one bug I noticed in this patch (not sure if it is fixed in the later versions of greyface patch, since I think I'm using a bit older version, from GOG). The spear skill is slightly broken. Expert is supposed to increase damage per skill, but it doesn't do that. Instead, it comes into play when you become master.
Too bad this trick doesn't seem to work for me for MM6. I'm not sure why that one doesn't work for me yet. I'll put more of an effort when I want to play it more ;)

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 07 Apr 2012, 21:21

Well, armsmaster definitely shouldn't add attack and speed bonuses when unarmed, so that's a bug. If it wasn't fixed already.

the beavers1
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby the beavers1 » 11 May 2012, 05:55

Hey! I love your patch but was wondering if you could add a few things to it.

+ If possible, make it so that xp differs depending on how many of your guys are unable to battle. (for instance if 3 guys are dead the one guy living will get all the xp (about 3x) for killing the monsters instead of just the normal amount.

+ A quick Load would be nice considering I exploit and reload alot It would be nice to have a quick load that loads the last quick save.

+ THis is more of a personal one since Im playing solo, but I would like it if there was a way to sell stuff in dead players inventory, but at the merchant skill of the living player (probably will be too difficult but I wanted to ask anyway)

If I think of More Ill Post, I also understand if you for whatever reason you cannot make these changes, and respect your reasoning. Thanks for making a great patch for MM games!

coltrek
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby coltrek » 11 May 2012, 13:11

In your C:\Program Files\3DO\Might and Magic VII
Open the MM7 Configuration Settings in a notepad
In mine before the change...

QuickSavesKey=122
QuickLoadKey=0

I changed it to this...

QuickSavesKey=122
QuickLoadKey=123

Where 122 is F11 and 123 is F12

the beavers1
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby the beavers1 » 11 May 2012, 14:38

coltrek wrote:In your C:\Program Files\3DO\Might and Magic VII
Open the MM7 Configuration Settings in a notepad
In mine before the change...

QuickSavesKey=122
QuickLoadKey=0

I changed it to this...

QuickSavesKey=122
QuickLoadKey=123

Where 122 is F11 and 123 is F12
Thanks! For what ever reason I did not have the QuickLoadKey so I typed it in as you did thanks! I Just KNEW that there was a Quick Load But As stated I didn't have it....

Edit: For some reason It doesnt work.... Can you tell me if there are other things I need to configure for it to work?

Return to “Might and Magic”